BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
dynamic is my standard mode. Throttle modulation is key and I don't want to adjust for changes in throttle progressivity (invented that word). If you need less power, twist it less. Easy enough.
Only time I switch to rain mode is on wet, cobblestone roads with rails tracks and my SO on the back seat.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
dynamic is my standard mode. Throttle modulation is key and I don't want to adjust for changes in throttle progressivity (invented that word). If you need less power, twist it less. Easy enough.
Only time I switch to rain mode is on wet, cobblestone roads with rails tracks and my SO on the back seat.
I agree. I'm constantly surprised at the forums I'm on (all three of my bikes have multiple riding modes, ABS and Traction Control) at how many people feel the need to dumb down the throttle modes for different conditions.

I understand the need for ABS because of sudden situations that require "panic stops". But acceleration is never a panic reaction. You should be able to modulate the throttle by the time you are buying a powerful bike.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Dynamic in the rain?! You are one brave (and talented) rider😊
I agree. While riding into work one morning this summer, I was caught in a light rain shower.
On a decending curvy section of the road I felt the bike get loose (like on ice). I was just cruising while in dynamic mode.
Lesson to self: Use the rain mode in the wet.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I ride my GTL/E in NYC nearly everyday and my hands are just fine. Try going from Queens, over either the Throgs Neck Bridge or the Whitestone Bridge then across the Cross Bronx Expressway, then across the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey every morning during rush hour.

I guess I don't rattle very easily these days.
Maybe I should start drinking,,, heavily.
I think after this election I just might!
Made that exact ride over the bridges many times. I'm on LI so anytime I need to escape have to take the bridges. Cross Bronx a nightmare, CrossIsland, and Clearview not much better. Here's a 6am Throgs Neck crossing on a Saturday going to Max BMW

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
I can assure you that is not how my commute looks...I typically don't get out of 2nd gear until well into New Jersey, where I might see 4th gear for a few (very few) miles.
I really should look at a GS800 or similar bike for my daily commute.

It's also interesting that like you, I don't go to the BMW dealers on Long Island or NYC, but travel the hour plus ride to Max.

·
Super Moderator
16,841 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Back in early 2014 I bought the raincoat Pro per RL's recommendation. If I know it's going to be a rainy ride, I treat my helmet's shield with it. As has been said, it works great! I feel much more relaxed while riding in the rain. The water practically disappears off the shield and visibility is almost likes it's not raining. I have not tried the raincoat (doesn't say Pro) 4oz spray bottle. It looks like a much better value per volume but the 1oz bottle of raincoat Pro lasts a long time (a year for me) when treating just the helmet shield. And the raincoat spray bottle doesn't say Pro:eek: Unlike Rain X on glass, cleaning the plastic shield, after the bugs are back to splatter mode, the shield will have to be retreated with raincoat PRO to be effective.
Does anyone know if the raincoat spray bottle formula works as well as the raincoat Pro?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Badger1,
Appreciate your opinion on the Angel GTs. ;-) As I am still running PR4s the decision is still out on the next set of shoes for BH, my machine. Known as the 'Evergreen State' here in Washington the drizzle is present here on the western side of the state. I can attest to trusting in the technology on this machine and like Mole I usually ride in the Dynamic mode here. For me it has been a trial and error study. Stating this; how far is too far without losing it..... Fun, yeah. Does it cause the adrenaline levels to raise, yes. But as for me I only use the Rain mode when in dense traffic, on gravel/dirt, or when ice may be present.
Be cautious but not too much to over-correct. Enjoy your ride and for helmet and windscreen rain repellent I use carnuba wax from S100 or some new stuff that I have tried this past summer Nature's Green Magic Waterless cleaner.

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Anyone interested in the actual performance of the bike in the 3 riding modes Rain, Road, Dynamic should read the section in your owners manual under the heading Riding mode selection in chapter 6 Technology in detail. It spells out that in Rain the engine output is partially available and that the Dynamic Traction Control kicks in immediately to minimize rear wheel spin. It also states that the power increase and engine response is the same in either Road or Dynamic. The DTS is engaged a little later in Road and later yet in Dynamic.

I have experimented riding in Road and Dynamic for extended distances to see if my mpg changes and I don't see a difference at all. If it did it would be very minimal at best.

I have used Rain mode in loose wet gravel with great results that allowed me to stay upright while my friends on their Gold Wings slid out and went down.
:lurk2:

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
I have been told Dynamic Mode only affects the suspension and traction control...
Traction Control yes. The suspension is adjusted through the left menu button and scrolling through the settings that end up showing in the upper right corner of your dash display.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well guys I want to Thank everybody that has commented to my post,Being new to the BMW, I read the Info about the rain mode in the Owners Manual, So that's why I wanted to get Familiar with the Bike and its Performance features.

Also I have a good Idea about the windscreen and Helmet from the above Reply's Thanks,with the info provided I will give those recommendations a try.

I also have been researching also of previous post about about this Bike,I have a lot of information to Learn!!!
I come to the realization just how Uninformed I am......... ☹

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I also have been researching also of previous post about about this Bike,I have a lot of information to Learn!!!
I come to the realization just how Uninformed I am......... ☹
This is a fantastic forum populated by a great group of guys. Anything you want to know about this bike is just a search away and if you can't find an answer that way just post up and you're sure to get responses. Oh yeah, congrats on the new ride and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This is a fantastic forum populated by a great group of guys. Anything you want to know about this bike is just a search away and if you can't find an answer that way just post up and you're sure to get responses. Oh yeah, congrats on the new ride and welcome aboard!
Thanks,I see your location is MO. I have a great Friend that lives down in Birchtree Mo. We try to take a trip there every year,I really like that part of the USA,some very nice Riding down into and around Eureka Springs Arkansas......... :wink:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thanks,I see your location is MO. I have a great Friend that lives down in Birchtree Mo. We try to take a trip there every year,I really like that part of the USA,some very nice Riding down into and around Eureka Springs Arkansas......... :wink:
Great riding, indeed! I've been dating a sweetheart of a lady (who enjoys riding with me!) for about eight months who lives just south of Branson so we've put a few thousand miles on Arkansas roads. As a matter of fact, we spent our first date in Eureka Springs and have visited there several times since. I'd suggest you purchase a Butler map of the Ozarks and spend a few days searching out the Gold Routes -- there are more than a few!

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
I used to leave mine in dynamic but earlier this summer I switched to road. Switching to road seems to have eliminated the low speed jerkiness I used to experience.

But maybe it is all in my head.

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
And now...

The only time I have ridden in the rain for the most part it has been cold and heavy rain that does not stop. Think northern BC, the Gaspe or Newfoundland. It gets through to your bones.

As a result I am not a fan.
And after the '17 K1600 TTD, what do you say.... :)

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
Paul, funny you mention Newfoundland, starting to plan '18 trip to the land of the Newfie...

Duane

21 - 40 of 42 Posts