BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for all of you guys up north who find yourselves snowbound. Don't be a wuss just because your only bike's a 1600, just get out and ride! 😁

·
Registered
534 Posts
While I enjoyed your the video I'm going to pass on snow covered roads. I don't want to get hurt takes to long to heal.

Ian

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I enjoyed your the video I'm going to pass on snow covered roads. I don't want to get hurt takes to long to heal.

Ian
Ha! I have to believe snow's not too big of a worry down in Florida.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Great video...... But I have neither the skills or the "man sacks" to ride like that in those conditions! Bring on the better weather for me 🌞

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I was a teenager (early 60’s), and working to deliver the morning newspaper (Charleston Gazette) before school each morning in Stollings, WV, I would frequently ride my 125 Yamaha to deliver the paper. Even during winter with 5-10” of snow on the ground, as long as I rode the shoulders and avoided main sections of road and hardpacs, it was not a problem !

Those were the days !

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Not for me at this age I don't bounce anymore I break

·
Premium Member
6,633 Posts
So back when I was 20 or so I made this 3 wheeler out of my Honda 305 scrambler. It worked pretty well on a couple inches of snow but more than that the heavy front end sunk in. I made a ski for the front tire but that only helped a little and not at all when I hit dry pavement.

Having a solid axle made for interesting turns on dry pavement. A fun project made during my junior college machine shop class.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Back in the 70s I had a Honda CT / Trail90 and rode it three seasons in Vermont. During the winter I tried a few times.

On dirt roads with a few inches of snow, it worked fine. On the cow pastures I'd ride in the summer, it did not do too well. Once the snow got above the axle, it didn't move. Still fun trying.

·
Premium Member
'19 K1600GT Silver/Black/Red
148 Posts
That is kind of awesome.... but no, I think I will pass on trying it on the K1600. 🥶

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Around 13 or 14 years old, I tried towing by buddy on skis in the pasture behind my Honda 125. Straight line runs weren't too bad, but turning was a problem. Tow line was attached to the rear, and the back wheel just wouldn't follow the front. Other friends would screw short sheet metal hex head screws into the tips of their knobbies for ice runs. I never did that. I didn't have a small impact driver back then. I think they used an air ratchet. I would have been using a screwdriver handled nut driver. No thanks! I've considered it on my ATV recently though.

Reactions: ezymount and PLAGUE

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is for all of you guys up north who find yourselves snowbound. Don't be a wuss just because your only bike's a 1600, just get out and ride! 😁

Nice, I got to try out a GS at some point, and I envy you guys in the land of the free. Unfortunately for us in the UK I wouldn’t want to risk having to go to hospital right now, they’ll be more interested in finding Covid (because they’re financially incentivised) and then they’d give me Covid and kill me. That’s the reality we’re in here!

·
Registered
2013 K1600 GTL, 2016 S1000XR
27 Posts
When I was a teenager (early 60’s), and working to deliver the morning newspaper (Charleston Gazette) before school each morning in Stollings, WV, I would frequently ride my 125 Yamaha to deliver the paper. Even during winter with 5-10” of snow on the ground, as long as I rode the shoulders and avoided main sections of road and hardpacs, it was not a problem !

Those were the days !
Late 70's when I got my motorcycle hardship license, it was the only way to get around. When it snowed, I'd still ride to get around...mostly to girls houses who were "snowbound" and they were lonely because their parents had gone to work. Hehehehehe!!!!!! Still, when I got my car license, I would drive to the "snowbound" girls houses...hehehehehe!

God Bless Snow!!!

But, wouldn't dare do it on either of my scooters these days. But, I'm old, fat and stupid, so I'd do it on a M/X bike with knobbies. Because "enforcement" can't catch you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I used to recruit my younger brother to help me get the route done faster. He would help me pick up bundle, & fold papers before we left pickup point. He would sit behind me on motorcycle and throw papers, as I ran route. He often complained about being too cold, when riding in snow and cold rain ! I told him, just think how much colder you would be if you were not sitting behind me (me protecting him from direct wind), and throwing those papers, which helped him stay warmer than I was ! 😜

·
Registered
25 Posts

K1600 is not set up to ride in the snow - too heavy , too much power , and the wrong tires .... Believe me I got caught in the snow on my GTL and it was not a fun ride ... A properly equipped RS , no issue there ..

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
K1600 is not set up to ride in the snow - too heavy , too much power , and the wrong tires .... Believe me I got caught in the snow on my GTL and it was not a fun ride ... A properly equipped RS , no issue there ..
That was tongue in cheek. You won't catch me riding in snow or ice. Not on purpose, anyway!

·
Registered
272 Posts

Edit: I disagree about studs. When used they look like this (skip to 41 seconds):
Those look the the garbage AMA legal studs. I use the MF44 1.5 chisels. At 58 years old I still get the bars 12" off the ice in the turns. They stick like glue in the corners.

Reactions: Vandaldog

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Here in Iowa went ridging on Sunday was a high of 26. Again on Tuesday high of 41 (nice) and yesterday high 32. Today rain/snow and tomorrow they have already issued a travel warning and 35 MPH wind with snow. I'll ride the K1600 with snow on the ground but not on the road. Heated gear that we got eachtoher for Christmas is a game changer. Never thought that January would have 300 miles on the bike!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts