BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading out in early Oct to do a 5 day ride through western OR and eastern ID. I did this ride last year and found some drop dead gorgeous roads in OR. ID, while good, was less spectacular and so I'm wanting to change up the route this year. Here is a section of map I'm looking at. So if you have some really cool roads and are willing to share, I'd love to take a look.

For quick ref, the bottom left is OR, top left is WA, right side is ID. All just above the NV boarder.

Map World Line Parallel Font

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Great runs, starting from left to right...

• Just off the edge of your area, the road entering Fossil (on the left edge, 50% from top/bottom) from the west coming from Shaniko/Antelope is fantastic and a favorite of may bikes.
  • The run in dark green from Canyon City to Baker City is a great road, mostly the part once you're off US 26.
  • Similarly, the cyan route in the same area staying on 7 through through Sumpter then west/north to North Powder is a great road.
  • The green/magenta run from Enterprise, OR to Clarkston, WA/Lewiston,ID is a can't miss road, perhaps the best of the bunch.
  • If you do the previous one, you can't miss the Old Spiral Highway, just a few minutes away, running south to north from just north of Lewiston up to US 95. Do it south to north and do it before it gets hot as the tar snakes about half way up on that one were really bad the last time I was there. Even so, the road is a bucket list road.
  • Another connecting segment to these is the road through ****'s Canyon from Enterprise through Joseph across to Oxbow. Linking this and the 2 above will be a full day of can't miss roads.
  • US 95 from New Meadows to Grangeville is good, but a US highway. It will be busier. If you do it, take the excursion off the main highway going through White Bird.
  • Lolo Pass between Missoula and Kooskia is really pretty and not nearly as technical as some of the above roads.
  • US 93 from Missoula to Salmon and Challis was a fun run when I did it 8-10 years ago, particularly once you got to the southern half and then ID 75 on towards Stanley, ID and on to Ontario, OR is good.
Not as good...
  • The roads in SE Oregon, through Fields, Burns, Summer Lake, Paisley, etc. are wide open, not all that pretty IMO, and hot. There are some interesting segments but not nearly enough to spend a day or two getting to them vs the stuff above.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@RefCat My OR roads are in the NE section (once I get up there). They were really good last year. I put all your top recommendations into Basecamp. Now to look at were I started and see what I can add. Regardless, I've added them to my "Great Roads" folder for use later if I can't get them all this time. The more technical the better for me. Thanks a bunch for the write up. Really helps (y)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great runs, starting from left to right...

• Just off the edge of your area, the road entering Fossil (on the left edge, 50% from top/bottom) from the west coming from Shaniko/Antelope is fantastic and a favorite of may bikes.
  • The run in dark green from Canyon City to Baker City is a great road, mostly the part once you're off US 26.
  • Similarly, the cyan route in the same area staying on 7 through through Sumpter then west/north to North Powder is a great road.
  • The green/magenta run from Enterprise, OR to Clarkston, WA/Lewiston,ID is a can't miss road, perhaps the best of the bunch.
  • If you do the previous one, you can't miss the Old Spiral Highway, just a few minutes away, running south to north from just north of Lewiston up to US 95. Do it south to north and do it before it gets hot as the tar snakes about half way up on that one were really bad the last time I was there. Even so, the road is a bucket list road.
  • Another connecting segment to these is the road through ****'s Canyon from Enterprise through Joseph across to Oxbow. Linking this and the 2 above will be a full day of can't miss roads.
  • US 95 from New Meadows to Grangeville is good, but a US highway. It will be busier. If you do it, take the excursion off the main highway going through White Bird.
  • Lolo Pass between Missoula and Kooskia is really pretty and not nearly as technical as some of the above roads.
  • US 93 from Missoula to Salmon and Challis was a fun run when I did it 8-10 years ago, particularly once you got to the southern half and then ID 75 on towards Stanley, ID and on to Ontario, OR is good.
Not as good...
  • The roads in SE Oregon, through Fields, Burns, Summer Lake, Paisley, etc. are wide open, not all that pretty IMO, and hot. There are some interesting segments but not nearly enough to spend a day or two getting to them vs the stuff above.
The comments above are all good. My brothers and I did many of these roads about a month ago. I would add a few suggestions...
  • They are doing a lot of paving work on hwy 26 around John Day and Dayville. Expect delays and chip seal. They may be done by October but I would be checking with highways maintenance.
  • Hwy 13 between Kooskia and Grangeville is awesome and there is a good motel that caters to motorcycles in Grangeville called the Gateway Inn. It has a nice pool but might be a little cool in Oct for that.
  • If you are in Grangeville, take a run on the 14 up to Elk City. There is not much up there but it's a nice out and back.
  • Baker City to John Day. If you take the 245, its a great road but we found lots of gravel in all the tight turns. As we were leaving, we found out why. Large dual tanker trucks use that road for deliveries and I'm sure all those wheels don't stay on the road in those hairpin turns.

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GTL
284 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
9000 Mi.
As mentioned, the road leading south from Clarkston WA down to Enterprise OR is a "can't miss" best of the area IMHO. Epic in its own right, but continuing on down to Richland via the Hells Canyon Scenic Byway is bucket list material. Lots of hair pins. The road can have some loose gravel in places, but it's remote and technical which means fun on a k1600. I've ridden it once and was blown away.

Second on my list & ridden multiple times: the route from Clarkston to Stanley via US95, SR55 and SR21. Takes about 6 hrs. Not so many hair pins as satisfying fast sweepers. Riggins and McCall make great stops, and can't say enough about scenic and unspoiled Stanley ID. As always watch for large critters such as deer.

Reactions: coyotek

·
Premium Member
2012 K1600GTL
284 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
9000 Mi.
@RefCat Which way is going uphill on Old Spiral Highway ?
Going "Up" the spiral hwy. would be heading north from Lewiston. It is only a few miles long, so you can ride it both ways in about 30 min. I first rode it on a windy day, down the hill; pucker factor was a "10". Hot tar snakes would have made it no fun at all that day!

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Makes for an interesting ride map. :D

@RefCat Which way is going uphill on Old Spiral Highway ?

View attachment 168846
Saw that someone else answered the OSH question....south to north is up hill, but easy to do in both directions...it's only 7 miles IIRC.

Can't see from your zoom level if you included the White Bird excursion off Hwy 95.

Unless you really want 30 miles of I-84, it looks like you skipped, but could easily add and end up in the same spot, a run along the Snake River. It follows the edge of the lake, curve after curve. Coming south on US95, turn NW on 71 out of Cambridge instead of south towards Ontario. Head up to Oxbow then turn back SW through Richland on 86 (magenta on my map). You still end up in Baker City. All the times I've been there, the road surface has been fantastic for taking the curves any way you like.

If that adds more time than you want, you could cut the loop you have from near Baker through Union and back to North Powder (cyan on my map). The run along the Snake is much more technical and beautiful than the loop north of Baker.

Ecoregion Map White World Nature

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
@RefCat I had missed White bird but it's added now. I grab the last map before I went through everything. Not on 84 now. ON 26 unless there's a a better option

View attachment 168854
If you're looking for a more technical route than 26 to Ontario, turn N from 26 on 245 near Unity up to Baker city then take I84 on down to Ontario into ID. While you're on I-84 for several miles, the segment on 245 in Whitman National Forest that you get is far more interesting (technical) than 26 and that portion of 26 isn't anything special....you won't missing anything on 26 that you'd care about.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts