BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a failing coil on #5 on a 2018 GTL with just under 11,000 miles. Since it is still under warranty, I set up an appointment with the dealership to have it replaced. That will be one week away. I am not sure, but I don't think it will hurt anything to continue riding the bike locally until then and to ride the bike to the dealership about 50 miles away for the appointment. Do y'all think it would hurt anything to ride for maybe a couple hundred miles with a failing ignition coil?

Evidently, the failures are intermittent. I can sometimes feel the slight power loss and the check engine light comes on immediately. If I stop and shut down completely, the engine light usually goes off within a few seconds of restarting. It may come back on right away or wait a while before failing again. I can't tell by the seat of my pants if the power returns, but the bike seems to be running smoothly at speed or at idle even before shutting down - although the check engine light remains on until after shutdown.

Here is some info from the GS-911. Two scans, with a short ride in between. There were coil failures prior to the first scan and at least one during the ride between scans. I notice that the failure is not currently present, although the engine was not running during the scan. Maybe I should try that. I also note that the frequency count is 3 in the first scan and 5 in the second scan. There are 3 records present in each scan and the first 2 records in the second scan seem to be the same as the first 2 records in the first scan. Maybe the GS-911 only retains the first 2 records and the most recent record when there are multiple failures? I'll have to experiment some more to see what happens. Yesterday was the first time I've had a coil fail and I haven't used the GS-911 enough to know.

AutoScan : -
Date : 2020-10-01 11:11:31
XBMSMP1 : -
Controller Type : Engine Controller
Odometer : 17542.0 km
Operating hours : 359h 01m 27s
Fault Codes : 1
|
3A1AC2 : Ignition coil, cylinder 5, output open circuit
Currently present : NO
Engine warning light (MIL) : NO
Frequency count : 3
Logistic(Healing) count : 40
..Fault Code History :
....Record number : 1
....Odometer : 17510.0 km
....Absolute Time : 1195165
....SAE Code : 218368
....Engine RPM : 956.5 rpm
....Engine temperature : 40.2 °C
....Battery voltage : 13.88 V
....Ignition voltage : 13.84 V
....Record number : 2
....Absolute Time : 1195193
....Engine RPM : 1248.0 rpm
....Engine temperature : 45.8 °C
....Battery voltage : 13.14 V
....Ignition voltage : 13.02 V
....Record number : 3
....Absolute Time : 1195198
....Engine RPM : 958.5 rpm
....Engine temperature : 47.9 °C
....Battery voltage : 13.90 V
....Ignition voltage : 13.85 V
--------------------------------------------------------------------
AutoScan : -
Date : 2020-10-01 14:41:50
XBMSMP1 : -
Controller Type : Engine Controller
Odometer : 17575.0 km
Operating hours : 359h 38m 29s
Fault Codes : 1
|
3A1AC2 : Ignition coil, cylinder 5, output open circuit
Currently present : NO
Engine warning light (MIL) : NO
Frequency count : 5
Logistic(Healing) count : 40
..Fault Code History :
....Record number : 1
....Absolute Time : 1195165
....Engine RPM : 956.5 rpm
....Engine temperature : 40.2 °C
....Battery voltage : 13.88 V
....Record number : 2
....Absolute Time : 1195193
....Engine RPM : 1248.0 rpm
....Engine temperature : 45.8 °C
....Battery voltage : 13.14 V
....Ignition voltage : 13.02 V
....Record number : 3
....Odometer : 17575.0 km
....Absolute Time : 1273981
....Engine RPM : 1632.5 rpm
....Engine temperature : 98.5 °C
....Battery voltage : 13.94 V

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine seems to be failing frequently. It has only happened on two short rides yesterday, but the engine light comes on within a few minutes of restarting. I'll be riding some today and will see what happens. Maybe I'll take the GS-911 with me and plug it in for a scan without turning the bike off, but I suspect that the failures are momentary and the engine light just stays on until shutdown.

A bright note: When I take the bike to the dealership next week, I get to test ride a R18. I made a reservation and I think I'll have the R18 for at least an hour.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had one go out on a trip while I was still in New Mexico. I rode home to Texas without an issue. That was my second one to fail, so I knew what was up.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Why are so many of these coil failures happening? Does anyone know the source of the part, is it by any chance from China?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Kind of ridiculous that a bike with 11-k has a coil failure. Um maybe you didn't pay enough for that bike? Only kidding. As long as it's under warranty it's just and inconvenience. Out of warranty an expensive PIA. I had one just go at 30-k. Still expensive & time consuming if you do the job yourself. Next time it won't be as bad. And of course there will probably be a next time. Bad quality control or maybe planned mayhem for the consumer for the $$$%.

·
Super Moderator
1,519 Posts
I found this coil for sale, and it's a few dollars less then the coils from BMW. Ignition Stick Coil - BMW K1600 ; 12 13 7 722 679 / BMW The cost of the coil isn't cheap, however the work involved in getting to them is a bit more expensive. It includes removing the radiator, so while you have it off you might as well clean it and replace the fluid. Oh the fun!

·
Registered
176 Posts
i had a coil pack in on my way back from frances did not notice the problem till i got of to the back road and the bike roade like it had turrets syndrome only 13k on the bike
and no codes wer showing /got back on the motorway and the rode 600 miles this so far as i can see it's more on the later bikes so it might be a supply problem ?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder if the coils used in the K16 are used in other motorcycles (cars?) and if they are failing in similar numbers.

Anyway, I don't expect perfection in my K16GTL. I do expect BMW and the dealerships to stand behind their motorcycles. That seems to be the case on warranty issues and recalls.

Reactions: sslangs

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wonder if the coils used in the K16 are used in other motorcycles (cars?) and if they are failing in similar numbers.

Anyway, I don't expect perfection in my K16GTL. I do expect BMW and the dealerships to stand behind their motorcycles. That seems to be the case on warranty issues and recalls.
Good luck with that. Be very happy it wasn’t your engine that failed and BMW wouldn’t stand behind THAT even though they knew there was a design problem to begin with. Be thankful for THAT and go about your business replacing that CRAP coil they sold you (as I now am on my SECOND engine) when they sold you the bike.🙏🙏🙏

·
KBiK
2,052 Posts
Yes, the K1600 coils are notorious for failures but when and how is a crapshoot.

#6 coil failed on KBiK in November after 114K miles. Engine ran rough, but no engine light, no fault codes, no indication of errors from GS911 but BMW computer at my maintenance shop picked it up immediately.

My total service cost $2,600 to fix but that included an 18K service with valve check, new front TPMS, and two new tires.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Yes, the K1600 coils are notorious for failures but when and how is a crapshoot.

#6 coil failed on KBiK in November after 114K miles. Engine ran rough, but no engine light, no fault codes, no indication of errors from GS911 but BMW computer at my maintenance shop picked it up immediately.

My total service cost $2,600 to fix but that included an 18K service with valve check, new front TPMS, and two new tires.
wow! That is a pretty reasonable service after 114K miles! My 2014 had a coil go at about 45000 km, which prompted me to clean the radiator, change the coolant and change the plugs. I didn't bother doing a valve clearance check because I didn't think opening up the valve cover was warranted, based on experience here over the years.

My bike threw ANOTHER coil code this spring, over the space of a few days, so I dutifully bought a coil and have it ready for when it gets "bad enough" to force me to repair it... I rode all summer and no more codes or objectionable behaviour, so apparently it was just a glitch in the matrix. Hopefully it doesn't cause me issue next summer, because I have a firm don't fix what isn't broke philosophy...

·
Mr.Fix It
8,759 Posts
@amorley , wow, $2,600 for:
$200 coil
$200 TPMS
$400 Tires

That's $1800 for labor. Too bad you don't live closer, I could save you a lot money and we'd have a great time sharing stories.. :)

Duane

Reactions: TarkusNY and Prince
1 - 20 of 25 Posts