BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wonder if the coils used in the K16 are used in other motorcycles (cars?) and if they are failing in similar numbers.

Anyway, I don't expect perfection in my K16GTL. I do expect BMW and the dealerships to stand behind their motorcycles. That seems to be the case on warranty issues and recalls.
Good luck with that. Be very happy it wasn’t your engine that failed and BMW wouldn’t stand behind THAT even though they knew there was a design problem to begin with. Be thankful for THAT and go about your business replacing that CRAP coil they sold you (as I now am on my SECOND engine) when they sold you the bike.🙏🙏🙏

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, the K1600 coils are notorious for failures but when and how is a crapshoot.

#6 coil failed on KBiK in November after 114K miles. Engine ran rough, but no engine light, no fault codes, no indication of errors from GS911 but BMW computer at my maintenance shop picked it up immediately.

My total service cost $2,600 to fix but that included an 18K service with valve check, new front TPMS, and two new tires.
What a “bargain”!!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts