BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding a street bike since 1985, bunches of different styles and sizes and although my back and wrists have taken a beating from some bikes, I've never had numbness down my arm.
Bought my K16GT last October, been riding it pretty hard both 1 and 2 up but notice after @ 45 minutes, my right arm gets tingly and feels like it's "going to sleep". I didn't think much of it until the first long ride back in May, put 1500 miles on it over a weekend. My right arm was a wreck.
Moving my neck around, I can duplicate the numbness. If I tip my head back and lean it to the right, it happens every time. I went to my back doctor and she immediately knew what was up. There is a narrowing of the opening where the nerve bundle passes through my neck, called the facet joint. I had a epidural injection in my neck which did nothing to ease the pain and now I'm doing physical therapy.
The PT doc thinks that if he can get the joint to open a bit and then I get a facet joint injection, the nerve bundle will shrink a bit and the pain will go away.

So, back to the bike......Until this happened, I didn't realize that while sitting on the K16GT, I'm actually looking slightly up while riding and I didn't do that on any other bike including my K12GT and K100RS.

Anyone else have different pains and aches from the K16?

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
Yes, at times, excruciating pain between shoulder blades. I tried PT, no joy. I've learned to live with it. Took a long trip last month (7200 miles) and it wasn't as noticeable.

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I had a similar pain until I figured out that I needed to either change my GT bars to GTLL bars or install bar risers. I did the first on my 2013 GT and the latter on my 2015 GT. The latter, bought from jryan on this forum, worked better, looked better and kept the GT's wider apart leverage (the ends of GTL bars are closer together so they are also closer to the rider- think, a pair of scissors, the same two bars, but on the GT they are open wider than they are on the GTL). Try jryan's risers. Worked for me nad for others with similar pain on this forum. Loads of testimonials to this and to the quality of the risers here.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, at times, excruciating pain between shoulder blades. I tried PT, no joy. I've learned to live with it. Took a long trip last month (7200 miles) and it wasn't as noticeable.

Duane
Duane, I also have that pain between my shoulder blades that starts burning. Mine is right on that lump at the top of my back where the back meets the neck. I chalk that up to muscles from having my arms at that angle for so long. It's bad at times and then it just seems to go away. I guess it just sucks getting old.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
When I had GTL bars before I changed to GT bars I had problems with my hands and wrists.

·
Q
5,251 Posts
Jon,
I have the same nerve problems in my neck but mine is compounded by 2 buldged discs and arthritis. My neck issues also cause shoulder pain, where there's already shoulder issues due to working over my head for near 30 years now. I had 3 bi-lateral injections in my neck this last winter. They did help stabilize my neck but I'm now finding some discomfort creeping back in. I'm tempted to go back in and have more injections done above the last ones.

Early on my insurance provider in their infinite wisdom required me to do PT before they would pay for the MRI's on my neck and shoulders. I had to endure 8 weeks of that crap and it only served to increase my pain levels. Those PT appointments were 250 bucks a piece, zero deductible on my part and the MRI's were 1200 bucks with 600 I had to pay myself. Go figure huh! Looking back, I would have paid the entire amount to save the two months of misery.

I'd be ok if I could just sleep at night. As it is right now I take 2 Advil at about 8pm then follow up with 2 Advil PM's before bed at 10:30 or so.. I'm lucky to sleep past 5:30 in the morning before waking up in pain. I also see a chiropractor but much less since my diagnosis. I've also been thinking about acupuncture as I've heard that can really help with pain and nerve issues.

Start with some bar risers from Jim here on the forum, it's helped me quite a bit while on the bike.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon,
I have the same nerve problems in my neck but mine is compounded by 2 buldged discs and arthritis. My neck issues also cause shoulder pain, where there's already shoulder issues due to working over my head for near 30 years now. I had 3 bi-lateral injections in my neck this last winter. They did help stabilize my neck but I'm now finding some discomfort creeping back in. I'm tempted to go back in and have more injections done above the last ones.

Early on my insurance provider in their infinite wisdom required me to do PT before they would pay for the MRI's on my neck and shoulders. I had to endure 8 weeks of that crap and it only served to increase my pain levels. Those PT appointments were 250 bucks a piece, zero deductible on my part and the MRI's were 1200 bucks with 600 I had to pay myself. Go figure huh! Looking back, I would have paid the entire amount to save the two months of misery.

I'd be ok if I could just sleep at night. As it is right now I take 2 Advil at about 8pm then follow up with 2 Advil PM's before bed at 10:30 or so.. I'm lucky to sleep past 5:30 in the morning before waking up in pain. I also see a chiropractor but much less since my diagnosis. I've also been thinking about acupuncture as I've heard that can really help with pain and nerve issues.

Start with some bar risers from Jim here on the forum, it's helped me quite a bit while on the bike.
Darb,
is the shoulder pain a stabbing pain or just a dull sort of pain?
Do you have the numbness going down your arm into your hand or just shoulder pain?
Insurance companies suck worse than used car salesmen and lawyers, just sayin

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
I've had similar issues that were helped by raising the bars and moving them slightly closer. JRyans risers accomplished this on the GTL. I have not been able to solve the issue on the RT. I still have chronic pinched nerve in my neck that flairs up every few months. it causes numbness in fingers and hands andIn the worst instances, terrible itching under the skin on forearms and upper thighs. The nerve is barking now and I leave later today on a long bike trip. Just my luck...

Reactions: Jonnybow

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I get the pain at the top of my shoulders/ base of my neck pretty fast. Have to drop my head to stretch it out to relieve pain for a few minutes. I thought it was just having to hold my big head up.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I've had similar issues that were helped by raising the bars and moving them slightly closer. JRyans risers accomplished this on the GTL.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Bar risers helped my shoulders.

As far as other "general aches and pains from a long day (4 plus hours) in the saddle", I take Advil prior to leaving. Makes a huge difference...

·
Q
5,251 Posts
Darb,
is the shoulder pain a stabbing pain or just a dull sort of pain?
Do you have the numbness going down your arm into your hand or just shoulder pain?
Insurance companies suck worse than used car salesmen and lawyers, just sayin
To back up just a little bit, I never did get the MRI's on my shoulders. Other tests concluded damaged rotator cuffs which is whole other story and set of issues. I did get an injection in my left shoulder a year ago this month. I'm thinking it's time to get some juice squirted in the right one now. That has helped a little on the left side so I'm going to try it on the right. Overall though the nerves from my neck still cause discomfort in the shoulders.

Dull aching but if I work them too hard it turns into sharper pains. It radiates from my neck all the way to my shoulders and effects all the muscle tissue in between. Sometimes I catch myself all tensed up and kinda shrugging my shoulders from it. No numbness other than sometimes it kinda feels like I threw too many snowballs on the right side but that's pretty rare.

One thing that has brought some relief is massage. You have to keep up on it though, it's not something you try once and that's it. I found it worked best when I went once a week to every 10 days or so. I really didn't notice a lot of change until right before my third visit. Need to get back into going again as I really believed it did help. It's kind of expensive but if your therapist is a nice young lady who's not hard on the eyes.... the cost is easily overlooked:grin:

Choose your care provider carefully!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Obviously everyone's bodies and stages in life differ. Ergonomics is a big deal I have found. Any problems back/shoulder pain related I have had on the K1600 I was able to fix with adjustments in seat height. As far as my real pains that exist in the mind, I haven't figured out how to get rid of those demons yet. I do find riding at high speed through twisties helps a lot.

·
Registered
247 Posts
We've been extremely satisfied using one of these for years https://omronhealthcare.com/products/heat-pain-pro-tens-unit-pm311/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8JmUotrr1QIVhZV-Ch33_gLmEAAYAiAAEgJOwvD_BwE saving hundreds if not thousands $$$$ instead of getting physical therapy, massages, pain medications for muscle soreness/stiffness/tension, aches/pains in our shoulders, elbows, knees, neck, lower back, etc. We still occasionally do those things but they have been cut down substantially and the coolest thing of all is that this tool was suggested to us by both our PCP and PT.

It's worked for us, our kids/friends and would highly suggest giving this a try if you haven't previously as it is economical to purchase, easy to use (dial it in to exactly the way you want it) super compact so it goes with us everywhere especially when we're riding for multiple days as we'll be doing this weekend to and fro from the 2017 Colorado Ride & Darb BBQ.

15GT

The one caveat with these is that you must be consistent with its use for maximum short/itermediate/long term benefit just like going to PT.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I found bar risers helped the shoulders, as well as lessened the lower back issues I've had since military days. 3 rotator cuff surgeries (both shoulders total) and one steroid shot in the left (the only one bothering me now). Scheduled for another shoulder shot Thursday. However, doc gave me some simple PT exercises that actually work so well that I'm reconsidering the Thursday shot! Gotta do them couple times per day is all...about five minutes each session. I'll try to describe the one that's best for me: standing at a door casing, arm from shoulder to elbow straight at side, bend the arm at the elbow 90 degrees and press outward against the door casing with your palm on the door casing. Then change position so you can press against the door casing the other direction. Hold about 10 seconds each and do six or so repetitions each direction alternating the position each set (one outward, one inward each set).

I haven't used my tens unit on the shoulder, but I have found them to be very effective. But if it's arthritis (my case), I don't believe there's much that will help long-term outside of surgery where they'll grind that grit out of there.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I too have experienced numbness especially in my right-wrist. Pretty much attributed it to gripping the throttle too tight getting used to the throttle-by-wire. My 03' HD Fatboy has a carburetor and a cable, and it's taking me some time to get used to. I did order some bar risers from jryan19, but haven't installed them yet.

Pretty sure the seat comfort also doesn't help, about to have Saddlemen rework my seat. My feat even get numb on longer rides, but after 14-years on the HD I'm certain there is an adjustment period!

Cheers

·
Registered
943 Posts
I had a similar pain until I figured out that I needed to either change my GT bars to GTLL bars or install bar risers. I did the first on my 2013 GT and the latter on my 2015 GT. The latter, bought from jryan on this forum, worked better, looked better and kept the GT's wider apart leverage (the ends of GTL bars are closer together so they are also closer to the rider- think, a pair of scissors, the same two bars, but on the GT they are open wider than they are on the GTL). Try jryan's risers. Worked for me nad for others with similar pain on this forum. Loads of testimonials to this and to the quality of the risers here.
+1 on the bar risers. My ST1300 gave me the same issues with numbness and pain. I added bar risers and pain and numbness went away. I've never had an issue with those issues on either K16 I've owned.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
+1 on the jryan risers. Put in in perfect position and did away with wrist and neck pan.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I spent quite a bit of money changing this bike as I hated the ergonomics but loved the engine. I was getting numb hands, shoulder, and back pain. Never experienced any of that on any of the other bikes.

I got a higher seat, heli-bars, and put on grip puppies. Funny thing, the grip puppies were the biggest improvement. I always wear gloves but the bars were so thin for my hands that I ended up gripping them harder than I needed to without even realizing. Putting on the $20 grip puppies increased the size which helped massively.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts