BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
RL, since my new bike is not in yet, (I'm told "any day") it might be a few days before I can try the new plug out. Looks to me like the only possible mod would be to possible cut the bottom of the hex going into the plug a few mm. Easy enough to do in the field. I do plan to take the modified plug with me to my local dealer for the first fluid change. It will be interesting to get their reaction. They are pretty open minded.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Snap on thin wall 5mm hex socket

I went ahead and ordered the Snap on tool. It was less than $20.00 with no charge for shipping and should make the oil change a little easier.

I snipped off about 15MM in about 5 minutes and your replacement plug looks like new. The new K1600 should be at it's new home tomorrow and getting it's first fluid change by the weekend.

Anyone know where to order the oil filter wrench and it's part number?

Thanks RL....

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
is this so you can put the plugs in and the welded allan key remains on the bike with the plug. if so how many drain plugs does the 1600 have thanks
It's so I can put the one (1) internal plug in. This socket fits around the hex part and can be inserted through the 8mm hole for the outside plug.

I think I stated that correctly!

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
No, I'd have to make another batch. Let me see next week if I can get down to the Metric & Multi Standard to get more of the plugs and Allen keys.

I do have three more where the welder cut the Allen key a bit too long. Maybe I should have him grind them down to the exact length. Let me look in my car to see if they are where I left them. Those I could get out much faster if you have an immediate need.
Mine was one of the originals and just a tad too long. Five minutes with a hack saw took care of it.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
One of the originals...

Hi RL,

Is the only difference between the "old" replacement for the sump plug, and the new one, the ability to possible over torque it? I thought I read something about the magnet on the outer plug.

I've got the original replacement and I don't think that over torqueing it will be a problem. Just wanted to make sure that there were no other issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts