BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 1427 Posts

·
Administrator
17,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
OK, 25 plugs are at the welder. They say they will have them completed by tomorrow AM.

I included some nuts to protect the threads while they weld and turn in the lathe.

The 1st 5 will be replaced when they all go out tomorrow.

I drained the Amsoil from my bike this morning at 4. Still 95 in the garage.:mad:

Even though it is much easier to drain cold oil, there was great concern about losing the crankcase drain plug from the top of the 5mm hex key.

I'm anxious to be able to use this modified plug myself.

Bottom line is that everyone should have the latest model of plug by Friday or Saturday. Priority Mail to your door.

·
Administrator
17,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I guess I missed it, Please explain the How's and Why's of this drain plug.

Thanks

I just read your oil change thread in its entirety. Great idea.
The idea started when I watched the dealership change my oil. Then when I changed my oil myself, 3 times now, the fear of losing the crankcase drain plug off the tip of the 5mm hex key, with hot oil covering my hand, in the tight confines of this low-to-the-ground bike, caused me to think of numerous ideas to solve the perceived problem.

As you can see from the oil change thread, I have struggled with lots of ideas. Most just wouldn't work because of the configuration of the base of the crankcase, and sub-15mm opening in the sump.

The extension seemed to be the only solution to provide a more secure way to grab the crankcase drain plug. A deep socket provides much more of a secure attachment than balancing the plug on the top of a hex key.

The biggest issue was the right length of the extension. Second was finding a qualified welder, as the extension must be perfectly perpendicular to be centered in the sump opening. Next was finding the right parts.

It was a real pleasure to find that the local office of Metric & Multi-Standard carried the plugs and had a great deal on hex keys. My price, I learned today, was below their already low retail.

Sadly, the single biggest cost turned-out to be the TIG welding, at $17 each. The multiple trips to verify the extension takes time. They only charge $60/hour, so that is very fair. It just takes time to do it right.

My mistake was in rushing the first 5 to market before I had everything in hand. The length at 40mm is too long, as the sump magnetic plug is so darn tall.

Cutting the hex keys 1" long (25mm) should give about 4mm clearance between the two plugs.

Because of this mistake with the 5, and all the extra expensive hex keys I purchased before I learned Metric carried them, this has been a loser project. My hope was to break even. Although, this learning experience has been worth much more than it has cost me. The enjoyment in solving a problem has been good too.

If I make more of these plugs, the price will be $10 more.

Some forum members here were kind enough to send a bit more that what I asked for. That helped.

·
Administrator
17,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
OK, today the latest measurements were verified by a BMW mechanic. The 20mm extension from the crankcase plug provides 5mm clearance above the sump magnetic plug. The design is good to go out.

All the plugs are in my hands and will go out tomorrow by Priority Mail. So, Friday or Saturday delivery can be expected.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
if you decide to do another run let me know please. You did a great job on this, and you time and efforts are well worth the expense. I would have asked for one right away, but at this point who knows when I'd need it.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
Snap on thin wall 5mm hex socket

I went ahead and ordered the Snap on tool. It was less than $20.00 with no charge for shipping and should make the oil change a little easier.

I snipped off about 15MM in about 5 minutes and your replacement plug looks like new. The new K1600 should be at it's new home tomorrow and getting it's first fluid change by the weekend.

Anyone know where to order the oil filter wrench and it's part number?

Thanks RL....

·
Administrator
17,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
is this so you can put the plugs in and the welded allan key remains on the bike with the plug. if so how many drain plugs does the 1600 have thanks
Only the crankcase plug is buried inside the oil sump. The hex key makes the removal of this plug safer.

So, yes the welded hex key extension remains inside the sump.

There are two oil drain plugs. The big one is the oil sump, and the small crankcase plug.

Have a look at the drawings I have attached to many of my oil change posts.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
is this so you can put the plugs in and the welded allan key remains on the bike with the plug. if so how many drain plugs does the 1600 have thanks
It's so I can put the one (1) internal plug in. This socket fits around the hex part and can be inserted through the 8mm hole for the outside plug.

I think I stated that correctly!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
RL,

Like another has mentioned, I haven't followed this thread too closely because I didn't expect to have to act anytime soon. But a phone call this afternoon changed all that!

Please consider this a request to be added to your list of "next 10 reservations". Can I go ahead and send the $34 paypal payment, or would you rather I wait until the list has filled up and the call is made?

·
Administrator
17,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
RL,

Like another has mentioned, I haven't followed this thread too closely because I didn't expect to have to act anytime soon. But a phone call this afternoon changed all that!

Please consider this a request to be added to your list of "next 10 reservations". Can I go ahead and send the $34 paypal payment, or would you rather I wait until the list has filled up and the call is made?
Let's wait a bit. We'll get the comments as the first deliveries are received. Then, I'll go ahead and get the next 10 made and get them out as guys get their bikes.

I prefer to change my own oil. Service at the dealership, but oil at home. If other guys are the same way, I will need to make a lot more of these plugs.

So, let's see about getting the next 10 made the middle of next week. OK?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Let's wait a bit. We'll get the comments as the first deliveries are received. Then, I'll go ahead and get the next 10 made and get them out as guys get their bikes.

I prefer to change my own oil. Service at the dealership, but oil at home. If other guys are the same way, I will need to make a lot more of these plugs.

So, let's see about getting the next 10 made the middle of next week. OK?
Sounds fine. Thanks -

·
Administrator
17,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
I will get the next batch made next Wednesday, and the first orders out by Friday. Please PM me with your name and address. If you pay by PayPal please include your forum name. It has been a puzzle matching forum names with real names & email addresses. It helps if you add everything in each message because I keep everything organized by all the names. I cross check everything for accuracy.

$34

·
Administrator
17,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I just measured the depth of the hex drive in the BMW crankcase plug, and it's only 3mm.

The depth in the Metric & Multi-Standard plug is 5mm.

No wonder I felt so uncomfortable retracting the BMW plug. 3mm is barely perched at the top of a hex drive. Easy to fall off.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Upper Sump Oil Drain Plug Retainer?

I don't recall seeing those projections on the cut-away engine on display at Americade but then again, it wasn't exactly a focal point. It appears that the guides/projections are there (if they really are there as shown in the photograph) to retain the upper sump drain plug in the event the plug falls off the allen wrench while extracting it through the lower sump drain plug hole. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

It looks like the photo didn't upload. Can anybody confirm wheter or not there are guides in the oil sump bottom casting to captivate the upper sump drain plug while extracting it

41 - 60 of 1427 Posts