BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 569 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10.jpg
This is the rear of my Road 5 GT. (190/55 17) on my '18 GTL. The tire has about 5,000 miles and I'm just noticing that it rubs the drive shaft casing. That clean flat black strip was raised when it was new. Anyone else have this going on?

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
Just asking... Are you sure it's hitting the driveshaft housing? Could be bad shock; e.g. bottoming out and hitting fender.

Duane

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shaft casing. After a ride (today) it was up on the center stand and I pushed the tire around. The strip was hot and sticky so it squeeked and didn't want to move. Not liking this....

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
56,000. It's burned that high ridge on the outside of the tire into a flat strip. Shouldn't be contacting any hard parts.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
my first thought was wrong tyre size, there are no spacers that I am aware of that should be in there also. tyre pressure, even low shouldn't cause the rub

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes, one of the Spanish forum K1600 members, has the same problem, the tyre rubs against the shaft. Must be tyre defect.
Keep safe!

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
@ILGTLowner , no rear bearings in the K1600.

Duane

·
International Man of Mystery
3,218 Posts
Interesting as the tire has a certificate for use on a K1600. Look here for the document in German. It appears to be an out of tolerance tire

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thank you for posting this issue. This is crazy strange. I have 900 miles on new Road GT5. Going to double check this evening. I would not do another mile riding on a tire like this. Call the dealer and email them a video. Keep posting on the outcome. Safe riding.....!!!!

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Is the wear even all the way around on the tire? Do you have a picture of where it's rubbing?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Quickly check for final drive wobble and horizontal play, in & out.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,218 Posts
Thank you for posting this issue. This is crazy strange. I have 900 miles on new Road GT5. Going to double check this evening. I would not do another mile riding on a tire like this. Call the dealer and email them a video. Keep posting on the outcome. Safe riding.....!!!!
You should have a clearance of minimum 5 mm between any chassis parts and the sidewall.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
5mm sounds good but I don't have it. Tire pressure is 41. No signs of distress on the tire. Everything is tight. No play that I can feel. The rub is uniform.

I've been under it with a light this morning. Cold it turns easily because the rub is no longer hot and sticky but the sidewall is definitely touching the shaft case all the way around.

I may be out of toilet paper but I've loaded up on Road 5s. I'll see what it looks like when a new one goes on. Maybe this was just a fluke.

On the bright side I've dogged it pretty hard (enjoying the Bren tune) and it hasn't blown up.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
Sounds like it's either tire issue or wheel center hub was machined incorrectly.

Duane

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mad Max at 56,000 miles and you never had this issue before unless you're tire with 5,000 miles on it is separating causing the rubbing on the shaft housing. I would believe something in the housing or trail arm assembly has shifted to cause the angle of the rear tire to rub. It has to be cocked to the left.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
@Mad Max , after more thought, the first thing I would do is pull the rear wheel/inspect. Before pulling, slowly rotate the wheel while inspecting the wheel hub/flange mounting area; best to view from the left side. I'd be looking for something that may be causing the wheel to be mounted crooked. You state the year of your bike...there was a recall in '15 for cracked rear flanges.

Duane

1 - 20 of 569 Posts