BMW K1600 Forum banner

341 - 360 of 381 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Just got my 18' K1600B back from the dealer. Had the transmission recall taken care of, new battery, oil change and new set of Road 5 GT's installed. I have quite a bit of clearance and no chance of a rub. After reading through this thread, I was somewhat concerned about installing the Road 5 GT's but did it any ways. Can't wait to get them properly scrubbed in and get into the turns.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Just got my 18' K1600B back from the dealer. Had the transmission recall taken care of, new battery, oil change and new set of Road 5 GT's installed. I have quite a bit of clearance and no chance of a rub. After reading through this thread, I was somewhat concerned about installing the Road 5 GT's but did it any ways. Can't wait to get them properly scrubbed in and get into the turns.
That sounds great. I continue to have a good bit of clearance, too (compared to others with these tires at least), and like these tires more and more the longer I have them (although still not quite over 1k mi.). I just hope the folks with issues here get taken care of properly. With the current COVID situation, though, it may take longer to sort warranty and CS issues out, though.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I contacted Michelin to find out how to get my GTL fixed due to the coating and the bare metal being exposed by the rear tire rub... According to Michelin after numerous phone calls, between myself, my dealer, and Michelin, they will begin a damage claim and send me a damage claim package to ship the tire back to them for analysis.

Michelin is saying their fitment of the Michelin Road 5 190/55 ZR 17 tire does not fit any BMW K1600GTL after 2016. They are still going to go through with the damage claim process, but almost sounds like they won't provide any repair or make me whole.

The representative said, the dealer where I bought the tires, should've known about the fitment of the Michelin Road 5 GT and not installed them on m 2018 GTL. I told the Michelin rep, that the dealer I went to, said the local police department uses the same tire on their fleet of GTLs.... So it's might be a much bigger deal than just a motorcycle enthusiast, but several municipaities using the same tire....

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I contacted Michelin to find out how to get my GTL fixed due to the coating and the bare metal being exposed by the rear tire rub... According to Michelin after numerous phone calls, between myself, my dealer, and Michelin, they will begin a damage claim and send me a damage claim package to ship the tire back to them for analysis.

Michelin is saying their fitment of the Michelin Road 5 190/55 ZR 17 tire does not fit any BMW K1600GTL after 2016. They are still going to go through with the damage claim process, but almost sounds like they won't provide any repair or make me whole.

The representative said, the dealer where I bought the tires, should've known about the fitment of the Michelin Road 5 GT and not installed them on m 2018 GTL. I told the Michelin rep, that the dealer I went to, said the local police department uses the same tire on their fleet of GTLs.... So it's might be a much bigger deal than just a motorcycle enthusiast, but several municipaities using the same tire....
Boy, this one ticks me off. And this only begs about 100 questions:

-What in the world, if anything, is different about post '16 GTLs when it comes to swingarm offset, hub, fitment or anything of the kind?

-Does this supposedly apply to post '16 GTs as well?

-I thought we had someone confirm that the swingarm was not relieved on pre '17 bikes, (@Mole999 's was, no doubt, but several others' pre-'17 bikes weren't), so???

-It makes no sense--NONE--why if you're Michelin, and you took nearly a year longer to release the tire than originally promised, you wouldn't release a tire that fits all models of all 4 K1600 bikes for all years of production. Others' tires do. Why would you knowingly release a NEW tire that only fits OLDER bikes?

-And how could you release an OLD tire with no problems, the PR4GT, designed ONLY for the older, pre-'17 bikes, and have them work just fine and dandy with the newer bikes, but NOT do that with the PR5GT?

-I never rule out the possibility I might change my mind with more facts, but if you only think you're selling this size tire to pre-'17 K1600GTs and GTLs, why do you even develop it at all? It's not designed at all for lighter weight bikes that use the "regular" PR5, so why go to the trouble?

-Is there an extremely popular motorcycle they developed this size GT tire for of which I'm unaware? I thought I'd seen on the forum here where others had said in the past that we're by far the primary consumer of that tire size, in GT, stiffer-sidewall form.

@joe schmoe, if you ever get a statement in writing from Michelin as to their formal position, I'd really love to see a copy. For obvious reasons, dealers aren't going to believe "this guy I trust from the internet forum said it," unless and until they hear it from the horse's mouth, but every dealer needs to be made aware of this yesterday, if this is going to be Michelin's position going forward. To be clear, I'm not doubting you for a second, but don't want dealers to doubt anyone.

Just going on what we know now, I just don't believe that they've told dealers not to put them on newer K1600 bikes, because too many dealers have done so. One dumb dealer, or two, not paying attention to their supplier bulletins is believable, but across this many dealers, it becomes FAR more likely it's a Michelin issue.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Boy, this one ticks me off. And this only begs about 100 questions:

-What in the world, if anything, is different about post '16 GTLs when it comes to swingarm offset, hub, fitment or anything of the kind?

-Does this supposedly apply to post '16 GTs as well?

-I thought we had someone confirm that the swingarm was not relieved on pre '17 bikes, (@Mole999 's was, no doubt, but several others' pre-'17 bikes weren't), so???

-It makes no sense--NONE--why if you're Michelin, and you took nearly a year longer to release the tire than originally promised, you wouldn't release a tire that fits all models of all 4 K1600 bikes for all years of production. Others' tires do. Why would you knowingly release a NEW tire that only fits OLDER bikes?

-And how could you release an OLD tire with no problems, the PR4GT, designed ONLY for the older, pre-'17 bikes, and have them work just fine and dandy with the newer bikes, but NOT do that with the PR5GT?

-I never rule out the possibility I might change my mind with more facts, but if you only think you're selling this size tire to pre-'17 K1600GTs and GTLs, why do you even develop it at all? It's not designed at all for lighter weight bikes that use the "regular" PR5, so why go to the trouble?

-Is there an extremely popular motorcycle they developed this size GT tire for of which I'm unaware? I thought I'd seen on the forum here where others had said in the past that we're by far the primary consumer of that tire size, in GT, stiffer-sidewall form.

@joe schmoe, if you ever get a statement in writing from Michelin as to their formal position, I'd really love to see a copy. For obvious reasons, dealers aren't going to believe "this guy I trust from the internet forum said it," unless and until they hear it from the horse's mouth, but every dealer needs to be made aware of this yesterday, if this is going to be Michelin's position going forward. To be clear, I'm not doubting you for a second, but don't want dealers to doubt anyone.

Just going on what we know now, I just don't believe that they've told dealers not to put them on newer K1600 bikes, because too many dealers have done so. One dumb dealer, or two, not paying attention to their supplier bulletins is believable, but across this many dealers, it becomes FAR more likely it's a Michelin issue.
@dobervol According to Alvin the Michelin rep I worked with the last 2 days, he said the new 2020 Michelin web site was the "Gospel" go to resource to determine if a Michelin tire was made for a specific motorcycle. Based on Brand/Model/Year they don't make a tire that fits the GTL after 2016...

Michelin K1600GTL page

I'll wait to see what happens with the damage claim. If I do get anything in writing, I will scan it and post it here....

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I too just had Road 5 GT's installed and no trouble here. I have a couple thousand "K" on them already and are holding up fine.
Me, either. Frankly, I really like these tires, unlike the "meh" PR4GTs I've had on my K1200S. But if Michelin won't stand behind them, I'm sure not putting another set on. And if Michelin is saying they won't fit your '19 (and presumably mine, although my '19's a GT), why did both of our dealers not know, and install them on our bikes?

Again, we may not have all the story here, but the part of it we do have sure doesn't make any sense from Michelin's side of things.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
@dobervol According to Alvin the Michelin rep I worked with the last 2 days, he said the new 2020 Michelin web site was the "Gospel" go to resource to determine if a Michelin tire was made for a specific motorcycle. Based on Brand/Model/Year they don't make a tire that fits the GTL after 2016...

Michelin K1600GTL page

I'll wait to see what happens with the damage claim. If I do get anything in writing, I will scan it and post it here....
So the plot thickens. Unless Alvin is BS'ing, if that page is "gospel," that means they're even claiming the PR4GTs won't fit, by definition, because you're right about that page: it says they've just decided to not supply ANY tire for your bike or any other post-'16 version of K1600. Of note, they just don't list the B or GA versions at all.

Of course no one would think to do so, but I sure wish I'd kept screen shots of that selector, because here's what I know: it used to recommend the PR4GT for post-'16 K1600GTs, even after the "regular" PR5GT had come out, and ever so briefly, that selector recommeded the PR5GT for my bike after release, and then I noted it didn't, only a week or two later. I really didn't think anything of it, as those "selectors" are rarely "gospel". Moreover, while waiting on the PR5GT, the Michelin rep at the MOA Rally last year told me if I didn't care for the PR4GT's to go ahead and just install the regular PR5's, meaning that even if they didn't last as long, they were at least an acceptable fitment.

My prediction: Since we know Michelin's story is changing, that means Michelin has a real problem across a number of tires with these motorcycles, and have decided that the cheapest way out of it, since there aren't that many of us, is just to take the position going forward that the tires won't fit our post-'16 bikes, and claim it's all someone else's fault, and none of theirs.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Meanwhile, in other news, Pirelli selector, if it's supposed to be their gospel, too, for post-'16 K1600s, not only does it no longer recommend the "old" Angel GT, in favor of the GTII, but also, they recommend the on-road biased/light off-road SL 90 ADV tire? I know they're really only for gravel and graded fire roads, but still, on a K1600, wut...the...fudge?

At least those of you who have newer bikes and who have gone with Pirelli, at least they're willing to say their tires do fit our bikes. So there's that. And Pirelli-owned Metz says their Roadtec 01 will work with our bikes on their online selector, but it's also an OEM fitment for the Bs in some places, I think.

And also, Dunlop's selector says the RSIII fits GT/GTLs through '17, but they have no tires at all that fit post '17 GTs or GTLs.

And it gets better: I went back to Dunlop's selector, and they say the RSIIIs will fit K1600Bs through the present. Why the new B, and NOT the new GT/GTL?

And now Conti: B and GA not listed at all, again, but without regard to year of production, for the GT/GTL, the only tire listed is the older ContiRoadAttack 2GT, and newer 3GT is not recommended.

So to recap (pardon the pun), if you want a latest-generation tire specifically made for heavier sport-tourers, which a manufacturer will go on record as saying is a good tire for your '17 to present GTL or GT, you are left with only Bridgestone, Metzeler, and Pirelli. Why is this so hard? What's going on?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Of course no one would think to do so, but I sure wish I'd kept screen shots of that selector, because here's what I know: it used to recommend the PR4GT for post-'16 K1600GTs, even after the "regular" PR5GT had come out, and ever so briefly, that selector recommeded the PR5GT for my bike after release, and then I noted it didn't, only a week or two later.
That is some shifty stuff on Michelin’s part. Sounds like they’re trying to avoid a lawsuit here. It also sounds like they’re going to shaft the guys who are having the problem, unfortunately

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
That is some shifty stuff on Michelin’s part. Sounds like they’re trying to avoid a lawsuit here. It also sounds like they’re going to shaft the guys who are having the problem, unfortunately
Yep. Again, I love the tires so far. I don't have a rub (yet; fingers crossed). My ox hasn't been gored yet. But it really makes me mad for the folks who have a rub. I'm sure Michelin knows full well that the vast majority of us will never buy another Michelin product for anything after this, whether we personally suffered or not, if they choose not to cover those with losses, but they've counted the beans, and there aren't enough of us to matter.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yep. Again, I love the tires so far. I don't have a rub (yet; fingers crossed). My ox hasn't been gored yet. But it really makes me mad for the folks who have a rub. I'm sure Michelin knows full well that the vast majority of us will never buy another Michelin product for anything after this, whether we personally suffered or not, if they choose not to cover those with losses, but they've counted the beans, and there aren't enough of us to matter.
Ugh. Picking tires shouldn’t be this difficult. I didn’t realized Dunlop wasn’t showing the RS3 as not fitting these bikes, and since I’ve never heard of them rubbing I wonder what the change was with the facelift bikes. My Dunlop's don’t rub, but I really long for the days when you could just pick a tire in the correct size and have it fit without issues, lol

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I installed an Avon Storm 3D today and I measured the clearance between it and the swing arm at .230"
Jim, in the same sense that Dunlop will stand behind the RSIII as a proper, intended fitment for the GT/GTL until 2017, despite the fact that it's not a separate, heavy-sidewall version, while I was taking time to assuage my righteous anger for everyone else (I may be more ticked off right now than some folks who have a rub), I did check Avon, too (as I said previously, I'm an Avon Storm fan from back as far as 2006), and it's the same with them all the way to the present. The Storm 3D isn't heavy sport-tourer/GT specific, but they DO stand behind it as a fitment for the newer GT/GTLs, too.

I'll be interested to see the kind of wear and cornering performance you get out of your Avon rear. I'm sure they'll be fantastic in the wet.

As a last note, though, Avon's number 1 recommendation for the newer GT/GTL was the Spirit ST, which they claim is a long-lasting "hypersport touring" tire that has slightly better wet and dry performance than the Storm 3D's. Anyone tried them? I'll admit I've never even heard of the Spirit ST before.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
I got on Revzilla where I bought three sets of Road 5 GTs and wrote a one-star review saying I love the tire but it rubs the swingarm on my '18 GTL. Curiously it's not up.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts

Michelin K1600GTL page
This is exactly what I ran across a couple weeks ago...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok now for my own update. After numerous trips to the dealer, at the request of Michelin to have the dealer check, measure, take pictures, measure tread depth and whatever else they subjected the bike to. I got an email from Michelin saying

"We are sorry to hear you had a issue with one of our tires. The dealer just call us with the results of your inspection.

Good News, we are able to offer you a 75% Credit toward the purchase of 1 New Michelin replacement tire. Please scan and attach a copy of your paid tire receipt / invoice to this email then we will mail you a reimbursement check for the 75% off
the cost of the 1 tire."
So that kind of sucks. Now what Michelin tire can I use that they say will be proper fitment for my 2018 GA. Also not to mention it is only for the rear tire so if I buy somthing different from the front which is still the road 5 GT. What kind of trouble could possibly come from that. Probably not much but still kind of disappointing.

341 - 360 of 381 Posts