BMW K1600 Forum banner

361 - 380 of 381 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Of course there is this line on the attached Michelin press release from last August. The first line of the second paragraph.

Touring motorcycle fans, who own machines like the BMW R 1200 RT, BMW K 1600 GT,
Maybe they forgot to put the exclusionary years in that release...

·
Registered
31 Posts
@dobervol According to Alvin the Michelin rep I worked with the last 2 days, he said the new 2020 Michelin web site was the "Gospel" go to resource to determine if a Michelin tire was made for a specific motorcycle. Based on Brand/Model/Year they don't make a tire that fits the GTL after 2016...

Michelin K1600GTL page

I'll wait to see what happens with the damage claim. If I do get anything in writing, I will scan it and post it here....

... Strange thing ... when i select tyre for my 2011 model, on the above link to Michelin page ... It comes up with only 1 option for tyre, and that is the Pilot road 4 GT .
When I go to my own countrys Michelin page, and do the same, it comes up with 2 options, the Road 5 GT, and the Pilot Road 4 GT ...

·
Registered
31 Posts
... and when I go to the German Michelin site , I only get the Pilot road 4 ...

Anyway, for those who can read and understand the Lingo, I have a link to the German counterpart of this site, they have some Documents from Michelin, ... look for headline "Freigabe" and there are some for the GT, B , and GA.

As far as i understand the GTL is not cleared for the Road 5.

Documents like this one :

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Boy, this one ticks me off. And this only begs about 100 questions:

-What in the world, if anything, is different about post '16 GTLs when it comes to swingarm offset, hub, fitment or anything of the kind?

-Does this supposedly apply to post '16 GTs as well?

-I thought we had someone confirm that the swingarm was not relieved on pre '17 bikes, (@Mole999 's was, no doubt, but several others' pre-'17 bikes weren't), so???

-It makes no sense--NONE--why if you're Michelin, and you took nearly a year longer to release the tire than originally promised, you wouldn't release a tire that fits all models of all 4 K1600 bikes for all years of production. Others' tires do. Why would you knowingly release a NEW tire that only fits OLDER bikes?

-And how could you release an OLD tire with no problems, the PR4GT, designed ONLY for the older, pre-'17 bikes, and have them work just fine and dandy with the newer bikes, but NOT do that with the PR5GT?

-I never rule out the possibility I might change my mind with more facts, but if you only think you're selling this size tire to pre-'17 K1600GTs and GTLs, why do you even develop it at all? It's not designed at all for lighter weight bikes that use the "regular" PR5, so why go to the trouble?

-Is there an extremely popular motorcycle they developed this size GT tire for of which I'm unaware? I thought I'd seen on the forum here where others had said in the past that we're by far the primary consumer of that tire size, in GT, stiffer-sidewall form.

@joe schmoe, if you ever get a statement in writing from Michelin as to their formal position, I'd really love to see a copy. For obvious reasons, dealers aren't going to believe "this guy I trust from the internet forum said it," unless and until they hear it from the horse's mouth, but every dealer needs to be made aware of this yesterday, if this is going to be Michelin's position going forward. To be clear, I'm not doubting you for a second, but don't want dealers to doubt anyone.

Just going on what we know now, I just don't believe that they've told dealers not to put them on newer K1600 bikes, because too many dealers have done so. One dumb dealer, or two, not paying attention to their supplier bulletins is believable, but across this many dealers, it becomes FAR more likely it's a Michelin issue.
The GT5 is certified for use on the 2018- GT/GTls as per online document issued by Michelin which I posted somewhere in this thread. I understand that a large corporation like Michelin sometimes have issues with information management but their statement is plain wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Checked my post with the link to the Michelin document and the link is no longer valid. Pulled the latest 'Freigabe' (approval for use) from the German website here and it appears that the GT5 is still on their approval list. I list the earlier approval for the K1600s and the GT. Confusing that they don't have it on the Danish website but on the German they do show it. Anyway, something is really fishy

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Checked my post with the link to the Michelin document and guess what? They pulled the GT5 from the list of approved tires for our bikes. Go figure.......Here are the original documents issues earlier this year.
Indeed they have. When I checked that link 11 days ago, the 5GT was still listed as a fitment for MY2012 thru 2016 GT's and MY2017-on K1600's in B, GA and GT variants, but not for any variant of the GTL's:
See info on the link provided by @ViennaK earlier in this thread (here) where you will find the PR5GT listed as a recommended fitment both front and rear in the German market for MY2017-on K1600's in B, GA and GT variants, but intriguingly not the GTL, as well as the earlier GT bikes.
However, the complete catalogue (downloadable from the link under the selector boxes on the landing page, or from here), shows only the PR4GT as a fitment for all years of the GTL, but still shows the 5GT as a recommended fitment for the B, GA and all years of the GT:

Two weeks ago I raised a query with BMW Motorrad Tech Support regarding what they consider the minimum clearance between swing arm and tyre on the K1600-series bikes to be and haven't yet had an answer.

The changes to the Michelin approval list (I too took the precaution of taking a copy when you made your original post with the link ;) ) would suggest that one or both manufacturers have identified an incompatibility.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
And here's the thing, to be fair. If Michelin only replaces the tires right now of people who have a rub, they're not out that much money, and others would be understanding if you simply tell the truth (if indeed it is the truth) that you and the manufacturer have identified a potential incompatibility with the tires, and are investigating, but no one should install them on any K16s until BMW and Michelin resolve it, one way or the other.

But this changing of online forms, and telling the customer, by implication, it's their fault for not checking the online tire selector, is unacceptable. @ViennaK is exactly right. While we may not know what the situation is between the year models, BMW and Michelin, we do know one thing. On Michelin's end, something is really fishy. Rotting Halibut on the poop deck fishy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just got off the phone with Michelin customer support. They recommended trying another Road 5 GT and seeing if there is another rubbing issue. If there is then elevate the problem to a senior rep. I think would have to take the bike to my dealer (see what their recommended tire is) if it is still a road 5 GT have them mount the tire check for contact between the swingarm and tire. Then ride and constantly watch for the problem to arise again. On the other side of things. After this whole issue came up. I have of course been watching the current tire for increased wear from the rubbing. I think it has worn away enough of the raised edge on the side of the tire that there hasn't been anymore contact with the swing arm. There is also still a slightly raised edge on the tire that has not worn away. Pictures of each side of the tire attached.
15901695419578654484457034343352.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Of course there is this line on the attached Michelin press release from last August. The first line of the second paragraph.

Touring motorcycle fans, who own machines like the BMW R 1200 RT, BMW K 1600 GT,
You just have to believe that on a top secret Zoom conference call somewhere on The Continent, a couple of French guys and a couple of German guys are each blaming something on the others. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall...well, as long as I didn't have to stay a fly.

EDIT: And if the Germans win the argument, will the French in turn blame the Spaniards? This may have the makings of a Netflix series before all's said and done.

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
It might be interesting to see if all the tires which are rubbing came from the same plant, not just the same country. At least one came from the plant coded HB.

FABRICA DE LASARTEHBLASARTE-ORIAGUIPUZCOASPAIN

The plant codes can be found here:

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I checked mine also, at 900 miles it is rubbing. Calling michelin today to see what that say.
Just a suggestion: Call BMW CS and report it to your dealer, too. Every call to Michelin is more pressure to address it, and pressure on BMW is pressure on Michelin, assuming it's Michelin's fault. Even if not, BMW needs to know.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
It might be interesting to see if all the tires which are rubbing came from the same plant, not just the same country. At least one came from the plant coded HB.

FABRICA DE LASARTEHBLASARTE-ORIAGUIPUZCOASPAIN

The plant codes can be found here:
So maybe we should start another inquiry poll as to where the tires were made by factory and whether they rub or not. Mine was also made at the Spain HB plant and doesn't rub but it's very close about .021" . There's always that chance that one particular factory has a bad mold or bad manufacturing methods.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I had a call regarding my damage claim from an escalated damage claim representative for Michelin. According to him, Michelin has not heard of this tire rubbing on any motorcycle. He is wanting me to send my tire in to him and they are going to be paying for the shipping...So they can do an analysis of the tire.

He also is going to re-imburse the cost of my rear tire. I told him, I am more concerned about the exposed bare metal on the rear swing arm and long term damage it will incur. It may be a small area, but it is still exposed metal to the elements and mother nature can work rapidly on bare metal. He said it make me whole on the rear tire with the re-imbursement. Which it would but not whole on the entire damage that has occurred.

Does anyone know if it is just black paint in the rear swing arm or is it a special bonded material for weather resistance? Or is it something like Plasti-Dip (not exactly but a special coating) How would i get it fixed? Rattle can of paint? Dealer repair?

361 - 380 of 381 Posts