BMW K1600 Forum banner

521 - 536 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
So here is the results: Clearly more than 5 mm, more like 8mm
Wow! That's absurd!

Based on the clearance of ~1.5mm I have with a 200mm wide Road 5GT, for a tyre to have (say) 7.5mm clearance on my bike it would have to be no more than 188mm wide, which is less than the specified section width of 190mm. Furthermore, the maximum in service width for the Angel GT, as posted earlier in this thread, is specified as 203mm.

Don't suppose you can get a measurement of the width across the tyre at its widest point, can you?

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Need to get me a caliper to do that, maybe I can do that tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
So Michelin knows there is a problem but refuses to take any action except not recommending the tire for the K1600 any more. At least Revzilla is kind of standing up, they at least offered me store credit if I return the tire at their cost...better than nothing from Michelin.
Michelin does recognize this as a problem and is no longer recommending the PR5GT for any K1600 model.

If you call Michelin and get through to their motorcycle support section, they should give you a case number. I had my PR5GT replaced with a PR4GT today by my dealer at no cost to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
So my dealer said Michelin says it's just cosmetic so when they refund us we'll refund you. In the mean time we don't have a tire for you.
:oops:

Reactions: onad and Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Pulled out a caliper and measured the Pirelli Angel GT I (A) at the shoulder (rib) of the tire at 190.68 mm with stock tire inflation and stock 5.5 '' rim. Pirelli production plant in Germany. A few pics for your perusal.
And no, I don't exceed the safe lean angle on that tire so that the rib is still intact.
Pirelli Angel GT 1 A size_caliper label.jpg

·
Registered
536 Posts
A measurement of my 4GT with a stack of hotel keys, shows 4.08 mm clearance. I have a set of 5GT on the way to me now from Revzilla - which I ordered before I found this thread. I will mount them soon and report the results here.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Pulled out a caliper and measured the Pirelli Angel GT I (A) at the shoulder (rib) of the tire at 190.68 mm
Many thanks for taking the trouble to get the measurements. Very interesting how much narrower the Angel GT is than it's quoted maximum width in service.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
It may be a lot wider on a 6‘‘ rim

Reactions: HOGSLYR

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
The rear rim on my MY2019 GT Sport is 6" wide. I thought all models ran the same rim widths?
My mistake, stock 6’’ wide.

Reactions: st13phil

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same rubbing issue with the Road 5 GT I bought from Revzilla. I contacted them, they contacted Michelin and this is the response they got from them:

"Observations based on Michelin’s regular market surveillance have allowed us to identify
potential contact between the rear MICHELIN Road 5 GT tire (P/N: 79407) and the swingarm of
BMW K1600 motorcycles (model years 2011-2020).
The effect to the tire is only cosmetic and limited to a superficial abrasion localized at the edge
of the tread. There is no effect to the structural components of the tire.

This tire conforms to all global tire production regulations and standards, including the European
Tire and Rim Technical Organization (ETRTO) in Europe and The Tire and Rim Association, Inc.
(TRA) in North America, to ensure interchangeability of tires for the replacement market.
Michelin will continue the production of this tire for all other approved motorcycle fitments
however, from this point forward Michelin will recommend fitting a MICHELIN® Pilot® Road 4 GT
(75W) rear tire (P/N: 77829) to 2011-2020 BMW K1600 motorcycles as the new replacement
tire."

So Michelin knows there is a problem but refuses to take any action except not recommending the tire for the K1600 any more. At least Revzilla is kind of standing up, they at least offered me store credit if I return the tire at their cost...better than nothing from Michelin.

I price shopped the tires at Revzilla and the dealer matched the price. They gave a fair price on the mounting and balancing. When the issue appeared regarding the 5GT's they handled the replacement of the tires along with mounting and balancing them at no charge. That's one of the many reasons I prefer to utilize the dealer.

·
Registered
536 Posts
A measurement of my 4GT with a stack of hotel keys, shows 4.08 mm clearance. I have a set of 5GT on the way to me now from Revzilla - which I ordered before I found this thread. I will mount them soon and report the results here.
OK Mounted the 5GT today. stack of hotel keys showed same clearance as the 4GT, so I think I am good to go.

Here is a view of the swingarm clearance from the top looking down:

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Mine is rubbing and has removed the finish on the swing arm. I've contacted my dealer and they're in the process of working with the Michelin distributor on the issue. I should know something next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 141434 This is the rear of my Road 5 GT. (190/55 17) on my '18 GTL. The tire has about 5,000 miles and I'm just noticing that it rubs the drive shaft casing. That clean flat black strip was raised when it was new. Anyone else have this going on?
View attachment 141434 This is the rear of my Road 5 GT. (190/55 17) on my '18 GTL. The tire has about 5,000 miles and I'm just noticing that it rubs the drive shaft casing. That clean flat black strip was raised when it was new. Anyone else have this going on?
I hope this helps

Attachments

521 - 536 of 536 Posts