BMW K1600 Forum banner

561 - 577 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
after casting any part is machined to strict tolerances while when making tyre this tolerances can various from tyre to tyre in high diferences as you cannot machined this rubber. You don’t need be engineer to understand that but some will still going circle in this topic.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,424 Posts
I'm not aware of a public statement, but resulting from my enquiry of them regarding what BMW consider the minimum acceptable clearance to be I have an email from BMW Motorrad customer service that confirms Michelin manufactured the Road 5GT “within all specifications, but because of the tolerances of all the parts on our BMW K1600 this distance [tyre to swinging arm] can be very low”.
Oh, yeah. That nails it down pretty much.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,424 Posts
after casting any part is machined to strict tolerances while when making tyre this tolerances can various from tyre to tyre in high diferences as you cannot machined this rubber. You don’t need be engineer to understand that but some will still going circle in this topic.
Yes, I think we all understand you can’t machine rubber. But the problem here is that not “any part” is machined to strict tolerances after casting, because we now know the tire side of the exterior of the shaft housing/swingarm castings were NOT machined to strict tolerances. If they were, everyone else could run a Road 5 GT, not just some of us.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I think we all understand you can’t machine rubber. But the problem here is that not “any part” is machined to strict tolerances after casting, because we now know the tire side of the exterior of the shaft housing/swingarm castings were NOT machined to strict tolerances. If they were, everyone else could run a Road 5 GT, not just some of us.
Did you actually see on your own eyes shaft/swingarm casting as a row material and after machined and then painted?
Did you see actually k1600 this swing arm/shaft how it’s look without any attachments?
Have a close look at shaft casting and you will see it is not only machined in places of contact with other parts but actually outside If is out of tolerances.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If it's not a Michelin problem than explain why we have so many variances in tire size measurements on this thread alone?
Some guys have a 190mm tire where some have up to 203mm. Quality seems a bit off to me
I don’t remember anyone measuring a road 5 at 190mm, but I thought I saw where a couple of guys had actually measured them at 205mm or so, which if accurate, would be out of spec. This is a long thread though, I may not be remembering that correctly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don’t remember anyone measuring a road 5 at 190mm, but I thought I saw where a couple of guys had actually measured them at 205mm or so, which if accurate, would be out of spec. This is a long thread though, I may not be remembering that correctly.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
255 Posts

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
I‘ve seen that release, and I know michelin is claiming it meets all appropriate standards, but if you go back to the early days of this thread you’ll find at least one guy that measured his at 205mm, and as st13phil says, ETRTO states the maximum width can only be 203mm. Take it for what it is, that guy certainly could’ve measure wrong after all, I was just pointing it out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
if you go back to the early days of this thread you’ll find at least one guy that measured his at 205mm, and as st13phil says, ETRTO states the maximum width can only be 203mm
I remember reading the 205mm measurement too (I can't be bothered to trawl back through the thread to when or who), and concluded at the time that it was possibly (or probably, based on other information) incorrect.

Regardless of that one measurement, we do know that there are multiple examples of the Road 5GT that measure 202mm (or less) which are rubbing on the swinging arm, and for that to happen the bike has to be non-conforming to the ETRTO standard.

·
Registered
255 Posts
we do know that there are multiple examples of the Road 5GT that measure 202mm (or less) which are rubbing on the swinging arm, and for that to happen the bike has to be non-conforming to the ETRTO standard.
Absolutely, I’m not trying to disregard that. But not forgetting that the majority of people with the rub didn’t bother with any measuring at all, it is at least possible that some tires are larger than they should be. Regardless, I’d guess that the decision to manufacture the tires so close to the maximum tolerance is one that Michelin probably wishes they could do over

·
Registered
17 Posts
Happy to say Cycle Gear in Tacoma came through with flying colors - no hassle at all - some nice competent folks working there these daze - got the “mfg replacement“ Road 4GT mounted and balanced - no $ to me - it replaced the 5GT (which I really liked other than being to stupidly wide) w 3,000++ mi on it (amazingly still looked good for another 6k - I never get that kinda mileage 😳)
Waaay less hassle than dealing with the local BMTroubleU-steeler.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Michelin Road 5 GT rear tire is rubbing as well. When I lift the bike, I can still turn the wheel but the tire is tight against it.
2013 K1600GTL Tire is made in Spain, date code 4219
IMG_5602.JPG

·
Registered
295 Posts
This really sucks, I want to use the pr5. Happy with the 4 and want to move up to the 5. Maybe it will get worked out at some point.

·
Registered
984 Posts
This really sucks, I want to use the pr5. Happy with the 4 and want to move up to the 5. Maybe it will get worked out at some point.
The Michelin Road 5 GT in the front and the pr4 in the back is a good combination. They call tire rubbing a cosmetic issue but it is in fact physical interference. Michelin did not step up but the BMW dealer did.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #574
Michelin did not step up at all. I turned my tire in back in April. Still no response. I don't need a free tire. How about covering the mount and balance? No. Nothing. Pirelli Angel II replaced the R5 GT at my expense. It's is pretty good but I learned it's Chinese owned so a no-go. I'm looking at Avon and Dunlap. Big disappointment from Michelin.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Phoned around for PR4's the other day for my 2018 GT, and all tyre dealers said PR4 GT discontinued and Road 5 is the replacement. Were not aware of the rubbing issue in South Africa. I managed to get one dealer to order me a rear PR4 GT, hopefully it will arrive soon. As a matter of interest, my PR4 GT on my 2013 GT measures 197mm across, and the BT 021 on my 2018 GT Sport measures 185mm across. The 5 will not fit either of the two. Rode the 2018 yesterday, and now I understand what the left pull issue is. My 2013 tracks slowly to the left, but the 2018 turns left instantly. Not noticeable when holding bars with one or two hands. Will be interesting to see what happens when I fit the PR4 GT's to it, which will be soon, as the BT021 at the back is square, and the mileage on them is not much.

561 - 577 of 577 Posts