BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read numerous posts from riders planning long trips concerned about having to replace tires or whether or not tires will last. There are many of us that have tire changers. I, and I'd bet many others, would be willing to coordinate having a set of tires ready for travelers passing through the area. I'm in northern VA, about 40 miles east of the start of Skyline Drive, and am willing to coordinate to assist. You could have new tires shipped to my location and we could set-up a date/time to mount/balance....

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Hate to say the word, LIABILITY, changing your own tires is one thing. Changing someone else's tires could open yourself up to a big can of worms

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Great idea Gunnert!

I have a tire changer (thanks for the assist Texanwest Jim!) and tire balancer. I live about 10 minutes off I35 and about 20-30 minutes off I70 in the Kansas City area. My house is easy to get to from either interstate. I've helped my brother and Texanwest Jim in the past and would be glad to help anyone planning a trip and looking to coordinate a tire change at my house.

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
I'm just north of Prescott, AZ and can change and balance tires also. I'm listed in the Anonymous book as having tools and willing to help out.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Hate to say the word, LIABILITY, changing your own tires is one thing. Changing someone else's tires could open yourself up to a big can of worms
Been doing it for 6 years & over 150 sets of tires with no problems. I've changes a few for travelers too.

Austin Tx has a changer & most of the time I have new & used tires That can be used.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Southcoast Mass here, tire changer and balancer available. Full service garage here actually. PM me,,, more than happy to help.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I always have an extra pair of tires in the garage so they are there when I need them. If someone is passing through the Kansas City area and needs tires your welcome to them. All that I would ask is that you replace them with the same and have them shipped to my house. Their cheaper than buying from the dealer but local KTM or BMW dealers will mount them for you no problem.
Chris

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Just wanted to throw my name into the mix for anyone traveling in the northwest Georgia area. I have the Weaver set-up and have changed several sets of tires on my bike and a friends bikes. Ten minutes off interstate 75 and you can reach me at 770-861-9700. Safe travels!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Just have a release signed!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Awesome idea. ON the google map where we pinned our locations I stated that I had a spare set ready. Ready for me or fellow rider in need. I bought Blkfalc4's no mar tire changer. I can attest to his full service garage but if you can't make it another 30 minutes down the road I can help.

RIch

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Liable? I don't think so. GTer shipped a set of Avons to my house and when he got here we swapped em out. (took 2 hours) While we used my tools, technically he was installing the tires with my help. We used a torque wrench on every bolt and double checked everything. It was a very positive experience for us both.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tires on the road....

Gunnert,
I just wanted to say "Thanks". Appreciate you starting this thread and helping out!!
To the many who have responded as well, "Thank you!" Truly awesome to know what I personally know now. (just to make sure the tires are ordered in a timely manner and sent to the right place at the right time :grin:)
I, myself, have tools, a dry place to repair or adjust. No tire changer yet. Welders and metal working tools though.
Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Gunnert,
I just wanted to say "Thanks". Appreciate you starting this thread and helping out!!
To the many who have responded as well, "Thank you!" Truly awesome to know what I personally know now. (just to make sure the tires are ordered in a timely manner and sent to the right place at the right time :grin:)
I, myself, have tools, a dry place to repair or adjust. No tire changer yet. Welders and metal working tools though.
Thanks all!

Same here, but do have NoMar tire changer. Also, local guy here has powered tire changer. Changed both mine for $30.:smile:

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to see others are offering/using this thread. I usually have a new set hanging in the garage and would be willing to part with in pinch if someone is in the area and needs tires. Just pay me what I paid so I can restock.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts