BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most of the time, because she is my primary mode of transportation, I ride with the top case and both side cases. They are very useful for all that I need to carry and my helmet easily fits in a side case. Today I took everything off and did a sweet 100 mile ride around Tampa Bay. She didn't feel like the same bike at all.

When I went from my K1200 LT, a U Turn in the normal 2 lane road made me sweat. Going to the K1600 GTL, it was a lot easier and seemed to require less space. Removing the top case and both side cases seemed to made it even easier and required no though... Aside from a much easier (must be psychological !) U-Turn, the bike just seems to handle better and I felt like I was more attuned to every slight change.

If it were not for the needed storage, I would never put the hard cases back on..

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Most of the time, because she is my primary mode of transportation, I ride with the top case and both side cases. They are very useful for all that I need to carry and my helmet easily fits in a side case. Today I took everything off and did a sweet 100 mile ride around Tampa Bay. She didn't feel like the same bike at all.

When I sent from my K1200 LT, a U Turn in the normal 2 lane road made me sweat. Going to the K1600 GTL, it was a lot easier and seemed to require less space. Removing the top case and both side cases seemed to made it even easier and required no though... Aside from a much easier (must be psychological !) U-Turn, the bike just seems to handle better and I felt like I was more attuned to every slight change.

If it were not for the needed storage, I would never put the hard cases back on..
Really prefer riding without a top case, reason i like the B.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
It's a hooligan bike without cases and top box!

Reactions: DanDiver

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Dan, Except for long trips, I never ride with the side cases on & I ride 2 up 95% of the time. The top box is more than adequate and my wife gets on-off easier with out the side boxes.
Agreed, it's even lighter with all boxes off.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,882 Posts
2-3 years ago I started doing most of my riding without top/side cases. But I still needed some place to carry essentials, e.g. tire repair, GS911wifi, rags, etc.. DUSAK make me a custom backrest/luggage rack big enough to hold a very nice T-Bag with numerous compartments, holds everything I need. When I travel I'll throw the side cases on but haven't used the top case since getting the rack made.

Duane

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I use the BMW soft "top case" (giant bag really) that essentially has the same capacity and a fraction of the weight. When not loaded you don't even know it's there. It can't be locked and it leaks a little when it rains (although BMW says it's waterproof - NOT!), but with a raincover it works great and snaps on/off in seconds...and being a soft bag you can really stuff a lot into it.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
676 Posts
I ride with top case only most of the time. The Givi E55 is fairly lightweight, compared to the BMW top case. When it's empty (or mostly empty), I'm only hauling about 10 lbs more than no cases at all. I can throw my commuter laptop bag in the top case easily, or my helmet & gloves on lunch stops. 55 litres is a lot of room for occasional shopping trips on the way home.

The OEM panniers are heavy even when empty and only go on for long multi-day trips, or when I need the extra capacity. Definitely not as versatile as the top case and add a lot of girth to the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
For me, it was one of the factors in deciding on this bike. The flexibility of riding with or without...the only issue and it’s small, is storing the cases safely while off the bike.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I ride with the side cases, and the DUSAK rack also (thank you, Dan!), with a Saddleman R1300LXE on top for 3-day trips with the wife. She loves the back rest that comes on the DUSAK, better than the original GTL Top Case. The top case is is reserved for 9-12 day trips, with a Touratech bag attached to the Isotta plexiglass/nylon rack specific for this model.

Locally, I take off the cases and enjoy the lighter experience.

But, I do feel that that 1600 looks a little German-ugly from the side, without the side cases. I wish that I could get a Fender Eliminator kit like I have on my ZX-14. They make the bike look much more sporty. More akin to the hyper label.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got a wife, we ride with bags full (20 lbs of gear each) top box full (10 lbs) plus a 8 lb RKA bag of top of the Topbox on an Aluminum ISOTA Rack, plus we pull a Bushtec Genesis Trailer that weights nearly 300 lbs all loaded up and the Bike handles and accelerates great. Get a good wife and your bike will be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts