BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at going to Canada next year, hiring a bike and spending about 14 days on a bike, starting and finishing in Vancouver. Looking at going to Valemount, Banff, Ainsworth Hot Springs, and Whistler. Anyone have any routes to take or advice on where and where not to go?
Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I live in Vancouver. Iyou need any help just let me know.

When you head to Banff make sure to check out Lake Louise. Its stunning.
Also from Vancouver you can go north past Whistler and the roads are stunning.
Vancouver island also has some amazing beaches and great roads (but can be very crowed at the wrong times)

Are you planning on staying in Hotels or camping? If you are camping make sure you book ahead for Provincial Parks. They are well looked after and are great but the very popular ones get booked up as fast s they are released.

Reactions: Dave W

·
Registered
232 Posts
If I had 14 days from Vancouver I'd go to Banff, take the Al-Can Highway to Fairbanks and then come back down on The Cassiar Highway.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Vancouver. Iyou need any help just let me know.

When you head to Banff make sure to check out Lake Louise. Its stunning.
Also from Vancouver you can go north past Whistler and the roads are stunning.
Vancouver island also has some amazing beaches and great roads (but can be very crowed at the wrong times)

Are you planning on staying in Hotels or camping? If you are camping make sure you book ahead for Provincial Parks. They are well looked after and are great but the very popular ones get booked up as fast s they are released.
We don't camp - ever:smile:.
I have a rough route joining the towns, just need to look at hotels in each. Looking at going early June.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
You could try this : Vancouver, Whistler, Lytton, Kamloops, Valemount, Jasper, Banff, Priddis AB, Fernie BC, Creston, Kootenay Bay, Ainsworth, Kaslo, New Denver, Nakusp, Fauquier, Vernon, Kelowna, Penticton, Keremos, Princeton, Hope, Vancouver to get a variety of roads and tourists spots.

Dave.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could try this : Vancouver, Whistler, Lytton, Kamloops, Valemount, Jasper, Banff, Priddis AB, Fernie BC, Creston, Kootenay Bay, Ainsworth, Kaslo, New Denver, Nakusp, Fauquier, Vernon, Kelowna, Penticton, Keremos, Princeton, Hope, Vancouver to get a variety of roads and tourists spots.

Dave.
Thanks for the info. Will start playing with routes.:smile:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dave,
I live about a five-hour scoot from the Rockies. If you're planning on going as far as Banff, I suggest you plan a little extra time to travel up the #93 to Jasper (288 Km.). It's not as busy as Banff and not as much of a tourist trap. Plus, there are lots of places to stop and view the scenery as well. For a different route back, you could take the 93A down to Athabasca Falls from Jasper (or vice-versa). It's a nice leisurely cruise (60 km/h speed limit) and the scenery is outstanding. If you're into to staying at some cabins, my wife and I really enjoyed Jasper House Bungalows (only 5km. from jasper) or Becker's Chalets (great cabins and an excellent restaurant).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I concur with going to Jasper, it is truly stunning. Take a short trip to Maligne Lake. Scenic and there is a nice cafeteria. I was there in June of 2019. Be prepared for weather and cold temps. At one point we were getting snowed on.

The road to / from Jasper

Maligne Lake

Chilly Day. I've got my full cold weather kit plus my rain gear on.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The Canadian Rockies are one my happy places. I’d love to be there for 14 days.

Good advice above. Heed the temp warnings. Research wildlife concerns. And don’t over plan your days. I find it’s a place worth marveling at for a few minutes as you go.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Dave, There are a large number of wonderful rides to choose from in southern British Columbia. Buy yourself a regional motorcycle specific map such as from Destination Highways. https://www.destinationhighways.com/default.htm. There are a number of Scenic Loops you can research on the BC provincial website, one of my and wife’s favorite is called the Hot Springs Loop, staying in Nelson and at Halcyon Hot Springs, wonderful lonely beautiful well maintained winding mountain roads alongside lakes and ferry crossings with very little traffic. We did the Banff - Jasper Loop two years ago that as others have already said is drop dead beautiful, however there is heavy tourist traffic on the only north - south highway through the parks and lodging is very limited in Jasper and needs to be booked well in advance. It’s almost mandatory that that out of country visitors see these parks, but for me the riding is better and relaxing on any of the numerous lonely highways threading through the mountains in southern BC in the Kelowna and Nelson area. (Although my wife did enjoy it when we passed long lines of slow moving cars in Jasper numerous times at 2X to 3X the speed limit.) Have fun. You really can’t go wrong.
Ken

·
Registered
547 Posts
First the warnings. If you have never been to the Pacific Northwest, then you will find that choices for routes are significantly limited when compared to the UK. Fortunately VOA's are allowed into the US for UK visitors! But it is not like traveling within Europe, so limit the times you cross the border from/to the US from Canada. In June/July the crossings may take some time. During your timeframe there will also be many tourists in Travel Vans moving very slow. Because of the limited routes, there is no way around this. Especially for the places most popular, like the Icefields. During the summer months, there will also be plenty of weather, so bring good rain/cold weather gear (think northern Scotland). There, enough of that ...

I will only talk about places I have been. As many have said, the Ice Field Parkway from Jasper to Banff is extraordinary. AND, the route into Hyder Alaska from the Cassiar highway is just as beautiful and you are much closer. Plenty of wildlife along the Cassair and in Hyder/Stewart. The bear will be out and that is always exciting. The signpost village at Watson Lake is interesting, bring a sign or a license plate from the UK. Two very cool towns I found interesting along the TransCanadian were Kamloops and Revelstoke. Somewhat touristy but still cool. BUT, I always find my best stories at places that I didn't expect. My buddy and I stopped at Jacks Place along the AlCan and that was a hoot. Nothing special about the accommodations but the experience and people were fun.

Anyway, good luck with your trip, and safe travels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts