BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I bought a brand new K1600gtle in November 2017. My plan was to go touring with my Wife. She didn't like it. Shame on her :).

Anyway its only done 5053 miles and it just went in for the gearbox recall.

Now i run BMW cars up to very high mileage, my current 5 series has done 160,000. And it looks great. And drives great.

You can imagine my frustration when Motoraad called to say the bike had rusted brake pipes. I asked them to contact Bmw customer service for some goodwill. Bmw said its the fault of the rider and the way the bike is used in salty roads!
And not cleaned properly! I don't use it in the winter!

What do you guys think?

Fraseman999

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
How could you not have seen that corrosion occurring? That started slowly and creeped to its current condition. That is not on BMW, I am afraid.

Now that it has happened you will need to clean that all up. Those bolts are galvanized. I have no idea how they could have gotten so bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Live in Scotland. Bike doesn't go out from August to March. Never ride on salty roads and not near the sea.
I have organised for an assessor engineer to take a look.

I don't think BMW bikes are anything like the quality of the cars

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Geez, this makes me think that the clear coat peeling off of my bike, in a couple of places, isn't such a big deal. (Actually, it is.) I've got to concur with other commenters, here, in saying this sure looks like you've got to claim some responsibility for this. I do agree that it sucks, though.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 off my neighbours have japanese bike a lot older than mine in the adjoining garages.

No rust!

Sorry cheap crap

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Live in Scotland. Bike doesn't go out from August to March. Never ride on salty roads and not near the sea.
I have organised for an assessor engineer to take a look.

I don't think BMW bikes are anything like the quality of the cars
My guess is that your bike has been stored in a cold, damp building with no air flow.

Living in SW Ontario surrounded by the great lakes and where huge quantities of road salt is used I have never seen this type of corrosion except on poorly stored bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I agree with the others.

This is in too many places and too severe to be a problem with the bike itself. If it were a manufacturing problem, it wouldn't be on so many different unique surfaces. This bike was ridden through something corrosive and not cleaned up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No not near batteries or battery acid. I did a search and it seems to be a problem with this bike in the uk.
I will let post what the outcome is with the independent engineer.
This bike is washed and polished after every ride! Never ever goes out on salty roads.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Car looks nice in the picture but If you pull a wheel off the car what do the brakes and suspension parts look like? Salt just sucks on vehicles. Hope BMW takes care of you but I'm betting no. Good Luck! 🤞🤞

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I’ve read other reports about the amount and/or type of salt used in the UK and its excessively corrosive properties. It sucks. I wish you the best. I don’t know how the Japanese manufactures bikes fair better than yours has. My first thought isn’t that the German machine has inferior metallurgy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car is my point...its last mot passed a few months back. no rusting brakes no rotting parts and it sits outside all winter!
Thanks for all the replies folks

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
We probably have a dozen corrosion related threads in here and if I am not entirely wrong, all of them originated in the UK. We are missing something that can attack many differently finished surfaces. There was similar case and it appeared to be some kind of spray that must have covered the lower part at some point and it started its destructive work without the owner realizing early enough. AFAIR the consensus was that some chemical spill on the road was the root cause and it looked very similar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have seen several news reports around Canada and the US in the last few years of trucks hauling highly corrosive liquids or powders having accidentally spilled or leaked their load as they drive down the road, which subsequently caused severe corrosion problems to all the cars that passed over that road in the coming days. In each instance I've read of, insurance companies have had to write off hundreds of cars. These chemicals can be far more aggressive than any road salt or brine. One short innocent ride in the middle of the summer could have caused that damage, and unless you would have known to wash the bike down thoroughly right away, it would have been too late. You might not be able to find or prove the source at this point.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Only time I've seen corrosion like that is when a vehicle was introduced to > Bleach fumes, Muriatic acid fumes, Battery acid fumes or high density road salt or salt blowing in of the ocean. South Florida east coast is renown for eating chrome from the salt air. Good luck with trying to get BMW to do anything about it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The only corrosion I've seen like that was in and around an Alumina refinery where the dust is incredibly caustic. If that's just salt damage, its incredibly poor maintenance by the previous owner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I traded in my 2018 K1600GTLE in March (14,000 miles) and the only part that looked anywhere close to yours was the main stand. Everything else was free of corrosion. I did have the bike treated to full ACF, when I bought it and then (like you) cleaned after use and before "bedding down" in the garage. That level of corrosion cannot appear overnight, so I guess it has built up whilst the bike has been out of use. This would probably be BMW's take. Good luck with your claim anyway - they might offer something as it is not a good advert for BMW

P4051085.JPG Stand corrosion.JPG

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts