BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I live in the countryside, no factories nearby. I don't even go out in the rain! The bike only goes out when its dry. And in the better weather. So what could i have done that would cause this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you look at the upper part of the bike its in really good condition. Look at the alloy wheels perfect no rust. Its mostly the metal frame parts that are coated black. Not enough protection. And the brake pipes are terrible. I will get the engineers report and see what that says. I would think some of the parts that have rusted should be stainless steel. They cannot be. Take a look at the tori bolts around the brakes, there caked in rust. These cannot possibly be stainless steel.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I’ve read other reports about the amount and/or type of salt used in the UK and its excessively corrosive properties. It sucks. I wish you the best. I don’t know how the Japanese manufactures bikes fair better than yours has. My first thought isn’t that the German machine has inferior metallurgy.
This^^^. What we do know is that anecdotally at least, internet reports of rusting occur far and away more in the UK than anywhere else. That HAS to be relevant. Tons of folks who ride in winter near both oceans here in the States, plus people who ride on salted roads (albeit they get rust if they don't immediately rinse it off after a ride). Lots of other places in Europe who have a lot of BMW motorcycles, plus some of the Alps or another mountain chain, and cold winters.

I have no idea what's different about the UK, but something is. The one thing which, even though it's worse on yours, almost universally sucks is the paint used on the center stand by BMW. It's been horrible since at least 2006. But the rest? Too many rust issues center on the UK.

The next interesting question is whether the other premium makes have any UK rust issues, especially Triumph, and if not, what do they do (or not do) any differently?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Take some aluminum foil. Dip it in coke (the soda) and spend a lot of time cleaning. Once you remove the rust determine if any parts were damaged or it was all on the surface. You will be able to tell.

For what it’s worth, I live by the ocean. Foggy a lot in the mornings. Bike is in the garage. It’s been rained on etc. No salt on roads. But bike is fine. So don’t think ocean alone would do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2012 GTL - I ride it year round -- Have pictures in a snowfall to prove it - I keep it indoors in a conditioned garage - However I clean it or a least wash it down when get back from my long dirty rides , & I live near the ocean . I don't have any of the rusting you have except for the a Stand

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Folks

I bought a brand new K1600gtle in November 2017. My plan was to go touring with my Wife. She didn't like it. Shame on her :).

Anyway its only done 5053 miles and it just went in for the gearbox recall.

Now i run BMW cars up to very high mileage, my current 5 series has done 160,000. And it looks great. And drives great.

You can imagine my frustration when Motoraad called to say the bike had rusted brake pipes. I asked them to contact Bmw customer service for some goodwill. Bmw said its the fault of the rider and the way the bike is used in salty roads!
And not cleaned properly! I don't use it in the winter!

What do you guys think?

Fraseman999

Sorry that happened to your bike. I have a 2015 and it's showroom. Your bike looks like it has been parked on the center stand outdoors with a plastic cover over it. The condensation of ground moisture traveling up in the cover, condensing and dripping down your bike may have something to do with it if you live in a high moisture climate, like the southern us. But......I had a 2 year old Mercedes with brake disks that were rusted way worse than what's visible in your photos. The disks actually had rusted metal flakes falling off it. Even giving it a salt bath can't explain that, after two years. I suspected my dealer had switched my parts during one of the routine maintenance stops. Oddly enough, an asylum immigrant had warned be about the dealer. Should have listened to him.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I live in the countryside, no factories nearby. I don't even go out in the rain! The bike only goes out when its dry. And in the better weather. So what could i have done that would cause this.
Just because it is dry doesn't mean the salts are gone. Even if it dries up and warms up, the salt will still be there. In fact, it can't evaporate with the water. It still sounds like it is something used on the roads there that is left do its job on the bike. Riding in the rain may actually be better as the rain would rinse it off rather than letting it just sit on the surfaces.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Folks

I bought a brand new K1600gtle in November 2017. My plan was to go touring with my Wife. She didn't like it. Shame on her :).

Now i run BMW cars up to very high mileage, my current 5 series has done 160,000. And it looks great. And drives great.

You can imagine my frustration when Motoraad called to say the bike had rusted brake pipes. I asked them to contact Bmw customer service for some goodwill. Bmw said its the fault of the rider and the way the bike is used in salty roads!

What do you guys think?

Fraseman999
Check for an electrical short. If there's a current running through the frame, that would accelerate corrosion, and a plastic cover would provide the dripping condensation giving the current something to work with. Like corrosion on boats.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Folks

What do you guys think?

Fraseman999
Wtf’s

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Folks

What do you guys think?

Fraseman999
Sounds to me like it was stored outside too much...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry that happened to your bike. I have a 2015 and it's showroom. Your bike looks like it has been parked on the center stand outdoors with a plastic cover over it. The condensation of ground moisture traveling up in the cover, condensing and dripping down your bike may have something to do with it if you live in a high moisture climate, like the southern us. But......I had a 2 year old Mercedes with brake disks that were rusted way worse than what's visible in your photos. The disks actually had rusted metal flakes falling off it. Even giving it a salt bath can't explain that, after two years. I suspected my dealer had switched my parts during one of the routine maintenance stops. Oddly enough, an asylum immigrant had warned be about the dealer. Should have listened to him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw the pictures of your brake lines along with just about all lower areas of your bike that indicates heavy salt damage. You said no winter riding so is the bike sitting on salted area? I have to agree with BMW. You have what appears by your pictures serious other salt issues on the folks, center stand and more. Take corrective action before it’s to late. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi Folks

What do you guys think?

Fraseman999
Something not right. I have 63k miles on my 2013 GTL, ride all year long (winter/summer), and other than the center stand looking a bit tired, the bike is perfect.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Live in Scotland. Bike doesn't go out from August to March. Never ride on salty roads and not near the sea.
I have organised for an assessor engineer to take a look.

I don't think BMW bikes are anything like the quality of the cars
Their cars are nothing to brag about lol. most European cars are sold as soon as their warranty runs out here in Australia, that could be due to the fact of the cost of parts including a lot of the quality control that use to be there has gone like so many other companies cutting cost. I had an old 2013 Jaguar XF love the car but with 105,000 klms. and that's not a lot for an diesel and it was a money pit.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Something not right. I have 63k miles on my 2013 GTL, ride all year long (winter/summer), and other than the center stand looking a bit tired, the bike is perfect.

Chuck
My bran new 2019 GTL centre Stand was average, I just resprayed it to clean it up as the paint coverage was average at best. But it was just the centre stand and I am a bit anal.:cool:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
4 off my neighbours have japanese bike a lot older than mine in the adjoining garages.

No rust!

Sorry cheap crap
The japs have always been known for their quality control for a long time now, it was a little different when I was younger at school and anything that was Japanese was referred to as Jap Crap. I can't say that's the case now, as most of their stuff is top quality and a lot of pride goes into their workmanship.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Folks

What do you guys think?

Fraseman999
I don't think your car has anything to do with your bike. This looks like either a serious storage issue or rider neglect. If this were a BMW issue, you would have more than one bike with this type of problem and you would have heard about it on a site like this.

·
Registered
437 Posts
We probably have a dozen corrosion related threads in here and if I am not entirely wrong, all of them originated in the UK. We are missing something that can attack many differently finished surfaces.
What we do know is that anecdotally at least, internet reports of rusting occur far and away more in the UK than anywhere else.
I have no idea what's different about the UK, but something is.
The UK climate is temperate but also damp (RH > 75%) for much of the year. RH is typically above 85% from October to February, while temperatures are typically in the 5c - 15c range in that period: i.e. pretty ideal for promoting corrosion. It is well known amongst automotive manufacturers as being amongst the worst locations globally for premature corrosion on vehicles, and has therefore been the test bed for most (if not all) of them.

BMW Motorrad products have a very patchy reputation for corrosion resistance in the UK. Some bikes seem to fare quite well, while others suffer advanced corrosion very rapidly but there doesn't seem to be a generally accepted pattern as to cause.

As far as motorcycles resistant to corrosion go, Honda are generally accepted as the gold standard, with the other manufacturers lining up behind them.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Center stand is usually the part mostly prone to rust. I used the transparent film (that you use to protect your paint, side bags, etc.) and wrapped the center stand with it. After 6 years, it still looks almost like new

21 - 40 of 67 Posts