BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Their cars are nothing to brag about lol. most European cars are sold as soon as their warranty runs out here in Australia, that could be due to the fact of the cost of parts including a lot of the quality control that use to be there has gone like so many other companies cutting cost. I had an old 2013 Jaguar XF love the car but with 105,000 klms. and that's not a lot for an diesel and it was a money pit.
Ha! My late wife wanted to buy a 4 year old X5 and I was really pushing hard for something else as the BMW reliability and repair costs looked atrocious! I bought a service warranty out of CarMax with that vehicle for the max amount allowable...think it was six years? Paid $2800 for that service warranty, which covered most everything aside from the usual tires, oil, wipers... During the six years we had that vehicle, the warranty "bought" us $23,000 worth of maintenance costs...paid a $300 deductible at the dealership each time something went south on that X5. It was a lot of fun to drive and the handling was superb...but the reliability and repair costs exceeded even my dour expectations. The one thing that always went through my mind was a BMW car was probably something good to buy new and to sell at the end of the warranty period. Had to overcome some guy-shyness to pull the trigger on the GTL last year, hoping the motorcycles would be different than the cars...and I took delivery with the pending transmission recall! :LOL: Of course, that recall didn't cost me anything and I haven't had any other issues to this point, so, knock on wood, loving the bike!

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
525 Posts
What do you guys think?Fraseman999
Since you asked, I think you wash your garage floor with muriatic acid with the bike on the the centerstand.

Looking at the center stand, the rust is worse where the centerstand would be on the ground, and less at one gets further from the ground, so it probably has more to do with storage than riding.

But I have never seen that as a problem even with high mileage, never washed k1600s.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 16 RT centerstand had significant rust, especially on the horizontal bar. 3.5 years old, 12,600 miles. I could count the number of times I rode in rain on two hands during that time !

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Center stand is usually the part mostly prone to rust. I used the transparent film (that you use to protect your paint, side bags, etc.) and wrapped the center stand with it. After 6 years, it still looks almost like new
Wow at the mad wrap skills. If I tried to wrap something that irregularly-shaped, it would look like something from a comedy show.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Ha! My late wife wanted to buy a 4 year old X5 and I was really pushing hard for something else as the BMW reliability and repair costs looked atrocious! I bought a service warranty out of CarMax with that vehicle for the max amount allowable...think it was six years? Paid $2800 for that service warranty, which covered most everything aside from the usual tires, oil, wipers... During the six years we had that vehicle, the warranty "bought" us $23,000 worth of maintenance costs...paid a $300 deductible at the dealership each time something went south on that X5. It was a lot of fun to drive and the handling was superb...but the reliability and repair costs exceeded even my dour expectations. The one thing that always went through my mind was a BMW car was probably something good to buy new and to sell at the end of the warranty period. Had to overcome some guy-shyness to pull the trigger on the GTL last year, hoping the motorcycles would be different than the cars...and I took delivery with the pending transmission recall! :LOL: Of course, that recall didn't cost me anything and I haven't had any other issues to this point, so, knock on wood, loving the bike!
Other option is to learn to work on them yourself after the extended warranty expires. I’ve done about $5k in service (just the hourly charges) on my 2011 5 Series in the last 9 mo.

Complete brake flush, radiator flush, new water pump, new valve for burning off any unburned gas in the exhaust (forget BMWs name for it), changed cabin filters, cleaned out air box over blower fan and installed new cover, new front brakes, new battery install and register with Schwaben tool, oil change and reset all service reminders.

Still love her, though. Try to find a comparable car with a 6-speed manual today.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Other option is to learn to work on them yourself after the extended warranty expires. I’ve done about $5k in service (just the hourly charges) on my 2011 5 Series in the last 9 mo.

Complete brake flush, radiator flush, new water pump, new valve for burning off any unburned gas in the exhaust (forget BMWs name for it), changed cabin filters, cleaned out air box over blower fan and installed new cover, new front brakes, new battery install and register with Schwaben tool, oil change and reset all service reminders.

Still love her, though. Try to find a comparable car with a 6-speed manual today.
I did a few small things, myself, but the service warranty was still in effect when my Wife passed away. Later that year, as it was about to expire, I sold it. Been wanting to do some of my own stuff on the GTL to save some money and to get to know the bike a bit better...this forum has been a wealth of info for that stuff. I've changed the oil twice and tomorrow morning will break in my new tire machine (not on the GTL...rubber still good, but have some tire sets in the garage waiting...).

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Folks

I bought a brand new K1600gtle in November 2017. My plan was to go touring with my Wife. She didn't like it. Shame on her :).

Anyway its only done 5053 miles and it just went in for the gearbox recall.

Now i run BMW cars up to very high mileage, my current 5 series has done 160,000. And it looks great. And drives great.

You can imagine my frustration when Motoraad called to say the bike had rusted brake pipes. I asked them to contact Bmw customer service for some goodwill. Bmw said its the fault of the rider and the way the bike is used in salty roads!
And not cleaned properly! I don't use it in the winter!

What do you guys think?

Fraseman999
You might keep dog or cat in the garage and they found your K1600 as a good spot for spraying? 😄.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looks to be one of two things:

1. Salt damage. I’ve ridden my bike on a road that runs along the ocean and had salt residue all over the bike...either from the salt air or residue coming off the road. If not removed quickly, it doesn’t take long for the damage to start.

2. Chemical damage. I’ve seen bikes stored near chlorine, fertilizer, etc., have metal damage and rust. Most chemicals ending in “...ine“ do not play well with metals.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
The UK climate is temperate but also damp (RH > 75%) for much of the year. RH is typically above 85% from October to February, while temperatures are typically in the 5c - 15c range in that period: i.e. pretty ideal for promoting corrosion. It is well known amongst automotive manufacturers as being amongst the worst locations globally for premature corrosion on vehicles, and has therefore been the test bed for most (if not all) of them.

BMW Motorrad products have a very patchy reputation for corrosion resistance in the UK. Some bikes seem to fare quite well, while others suffer advanced corrosion very rapidly but there doesn't seem to be a generally accepted pattern as to cause.

As far as motorcycles resistant to corrosion go, Honda are generally accepted as the gold standard, with the other manufacturers lining up behind them.
You just described the Pacific Northwest of the USA (Seattle, Portland, etc.), also situation not too far from the Ocean. We don't have those problems....it isn't the climate/weather.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My 2016 K16GTLE has a little over 20K miles and I don't have any rust/corrosion on my bike. That rust didn't happen over night so I can't see how you didn't notice it until the dealership brought it to your attention. The salt/brine solution they put down on roads can last a while and it may take a couple good rain showers to wash it off the roads. So while you don't ride during the winter the salt may still be having an effect on your bike. Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
If as you see the bikes not ridden in salty conditions, and kept in a garage, other than the center stand the rest of the corrosion is unacceptable. I'd start looking for electrical issues, what electrical add ons do you have, and how do you charge the bike battery when not riding?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are there any other items in your garage that has rusted on the scale of your bike? If so, are they making contact with your garage floor?

I have 2 thoughts which both involve environmental exposure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I live in Scotland, I ride a 2015 K1600GT, I don't ride in the winter now or in the wet (if I can help it) I had enough of that when I was a motorcycle courier!:LOL:
The main stand on my bike suffered corrosion so I got it powder coated.
The rear torque arm paint seems similar to that on the centre stand (poor) and I had to touch in two little bits where the paint was starting to show signs of rust, not enough to take off and powder coat though.
Otherwise, my bike is fine. The only time I have ever seen corrosion that bad was on my courier bikes which were used all year round in rain, sun and yes, occasionally in the snow! The salt on the roads around here in the winter will definitely do that to a bike.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It's not just the actual salt that eats away at bikes these days, but the "pre-treatment" that they are putting on roads before an expected snowstorm that is a serious problem. Once the roads are pre-treated I am done riding until it rains a couple of times. Most of the municipalities in my area mix their own pre-treatment solutions so who knows what the actual contents of the solutions turns out to be. Remember too that if you can see the spray lines on the road surface the pre-treatment mix is still there. When they first started using these pre-treatment solutions I looked at my car and the side of it was coated with this junk and it had a very greasy feel to it and was hard to wash off. Rider beware!! You MUST wash your bike thoroughly after riding through this crap!

Rick H.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hey Folks
Thanks for all your input.
A couple of guys said it must be stored outside with a cover. Its stored in a garage and sits on a 1inch thick rubber mat like you find in the gyms.
Garage is bone dry.
I paid an independent engineer to go and see the bike. It was in for the gearbox recall. I told the dealer that the noise from the gearbox was unacceptable. They said it was nothing to do with the recall. They said the k1600 all have noisy boxes! The day the engineer went out the noise magically appeared and they said the recall would fix that.
The engineers report stated that the condition of the bike was in very good condition and had been well looked after. The corrosion underneath looked like it was from a bike that was much older. BMW said that his report was inconclusive.
Heres what i really dont understand. This started as a 280 pound repair on the rusted brakes. I actually paid 200 for the engineer. It was out of principle that a bike that cost that much and only 5000 on the clock and not used in bad weather would look like that. That repair would have cost Bmw maybe 160. Why would you lose a customer for life for 140! I dont get it.
The bike is still with the dealer. I have complained to the managing director, no joy. I am now complaining under the consumer credit act. The only good news is i can hand it back in 3 months.
I won't buy another BMW bike.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
You're really chasing the wrong solution. As many here have said, this is not a manufacturing problem. This was clearly an exposure to a corrosive whether you want to believe it or not. There is no way BMW should be expected to fix this. Something happened to this bike that you're either unaware of or are not telling us.

I'm sure they're happy to lose an unreasonable customer over 140 who will probably come back with 100 more unreasonable complaints. Sometimes, as a business person, it is better to let a problem customer go away unhappy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks to be one of two things:

1. Salt damage. I’ve ridden my bike on a road that runs along the ocean and had salt reside all over the bike...either from the air or coming off the road. If not removed quickly, it doesn’t take long for the damage to start.

2. Chemical damage. I’ve seen bikes stored near chlorine, fertilizer, etc., have metal damage and rust. Most chemicals ending in “...ine“ do not play well with metals.
I was thinking the same thing, the last time I was rust this bad was a bike stored in the same garage with chlorine. If not, what about something outgassing from the concrete? Since the rust is on the lower part of the bike, thats where i would start looking. Just a thought.....

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Hey Folks
Thanks for all your input.
A couple of guys said it must be stored outside with a cover. Its stored in a garage and sits on a 1inch thick rubber mat like you find in the gyms.
Garage is bone dry.
I paid an independent engineer to go and see the bike. It was in for the gearbox recall. I told the dealer that the noise from the gearbox was unacceptable. They said it was nothing to do with the recall. They said the k1600 all have noisy boxes! The day the engineer went out the noise magically appeared and they said the recall would fix that.
The engineers report stated that the condition of the bike was in very good condition and had been well looked after. The corrosion underneath looked like it was from a bike that was much older. BMW said that his report was inconclusive.
Heres what i really dont understand. This started as a 280 pound repair on the rusted brakes. I actually paid 200 for the engineer. It was out of principle that a bike that cost that much and only 5000 on the clock and not used in bad weather would look like that. That repair would have cost Bmw maybe 160. Why would you lose a customer for life for 140! I dont get it.
The bike is still with the dealer. I have complained to the managing director, no joy. I am now complaining under the consumer credit act. The only good news is i can hand it back in 3 months.
I won't buy another BMW bike.
What do you mean you can hand it back in three months? Is this bike a lease?

·
Registered
40 Posts
If as you see the bikes not ridden in salty conditions, and kept in a garage, other than the center stand the rest of the corrosion is unacceptable. I'd start looking for electrical issues, what electrical add ons do you have, and how do you charge the bike battery when not riding?
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a trickle charger not grounded properly and parking on a rubber mat is creating some kind of electrolysis because your stand isnt grounded.. I have seen electrolysis do weird things in the equipment industry. The other thing ?? is your rubber mat gassing as it ages and creating some thing corrosive. It really does remind me of a bike parked out side with a cover

41 - 60 of 67 Posts