BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just picked up my 2012 GT in NC and rode it down to my home in Key West, Florida a week ago. If anyone here has been to South Florida, more specifically the Keys, you’ll know that the warm humid salt air destroys everything! Now, when one buys a new car or truck, it can be treated to limit/slow the oxidation, but with the purchase of a used bike, I’m curious what my options are to keep the oxidation at bay? I spray my other vehicles down with something called Salt Away, it’s a solvent used mostly for marine application, and wonder if that’s okay on the bike? I don’t want to beat a dead horse here so I’ll leave it at that. I’m listening.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Congrats on the new to you K and welcome to the forum. I live in the middle of the middle of the flat lands...so I have no experience to share with salt air. Best to ya.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I've seen the chrome on bikes literally destroyed by salt air. The only suggestion I can give you is keep it clean and put a good layer of wax on everything and try to store it at night in an enclosed garage or shed.

Good Luck with the new bike.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
J-Luv and svfiat, thanks for the responses and well wishes.
I’d love to have a garage down here to store it, unfortunately that’s not an option as very few homes have them. I have Dyna as well, that I’d kept covered with a HD brand cover and I felt like maybe the moisture was trapped more because of it so I stopped. I’ve been going out in the morning and wiping it down hoping that it’ll delay the inevitable. The wax is a great idea, any recommendations?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Wash it frequently and inspect. Fortunately it would take a very long time to destroy the structural frame. I believe the backbone is magnesium. Touch-up any bare metal areas as necessary. Enjoy the ride as best as you can in the Keys.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I’m not sure there’s anything that’s going to repel the salt. I live in a coastal area and don’t have issues until I ride along the beach. I wind up with a film of salt on everything, either from the air or from the road. Even washing the bike doesn’t get it all off..I have to use a metal cleaner to get it off the chrome and exposed aluminum. It will quickly start to corrode chrome and aluminum if not polished off.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I wonder if a coating of Muc-off would help with the under-parts: Muc-Off - Bike, Motorcycle & Car Cleaning Products | Shop Online Now

The Mrs. is a believer, and many swear it helps keep dirt off, so why not salt?

Also, I've seen reports where people claim a thin coating of vaseline/petroleum jelly on all steel fasteners with a q-tip/cotton swab will do the trick to keep them from rusting.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
J-Luv and svfiat, thanks for the responses and well wishes.
I’d love to have a garage down here to store it, unfortunately that’s not an option as very few homes have them. I have Dyna as well, that I’d kept covered with a HD brand cover and I felt like maybe the moisture was trapped more because of it so I stopped. I’ve been going out in the morning and wiping it down hoping that it’ll delay the inevitable. The wax is a great idea, any recommendations?
McGuire's or any carnauba wax goes on and off easy. Now if you into elbow grease >>>> Blue Coral :)

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I wouldn't worry.... I've lived in the Tampa Bay area since the mid 70's and rarely wash or wax any bike I've owned. MY 02 K1200LT was about 8 years old when I sold it and it was in beautiful condition, after it was washed. Same with my 2012 K1600. It rarely gets washed and I can't remember the last time I waxed it. It doesn't have a spot of rust or corrosion on her. Maybe washing and waxing too often is the problem. I do keep the windshield clean !

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I’m going to try the ACF-50 you mentioned @Cridosi. It’s definitely comforting hearing from @DanDiver, who lives in Tampa where it’s nearly guaranteed to rain everyday between 1300-1500 that his bike is okay with the occasional wash. Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts