BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All -

I need to ride up to Seattle shortly and was wondering what the realistic time frame would be to ride it? I was thinking of doing it in one day but some say 2 days ...

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your support!!

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Slab, or more scenic?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
1 & 101 have had some problems with rains causing slides. Many delays for construction , repairs, and re-paving. More scenic, but slower especially with the motorhomes and fifth wheelers of the summer.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
1 & 101 have had some problems with rains causing slides. Many delays for construction , repairs, and re-paving. More scenic, but slower especially with the motorhomes and fifth wheelers of the summer.
I've been up the 101 in Oregon twice this season with no issues. Great ride.
I would say if you are doing the coastal route, take 2 days. It is a long ride. But WORTH it.

Make plans to stop for dinner/lunch at South Beach Market, just south of the bridge to Newport, OR. I live in the Salem, OR area and I ride there just for the fried Prawns and Scallops... awesome!! Their clam chowder is pretty good but Word of Mouth Bistro in Salem, OR wins my award for best NE Clam Chowder on the West Coast. And I'm from the Northeast. Legal Seafood's Chowder used to be the best on the East.

·
Registered
281 Posts
SF to the Emerald city

Csomberg,
You could have the best of both worlds traveling north. Depending on you travel time allotted you could whisk your way north and then take the scenic way back south or vice versa. As others have said above the CA 101 through the OR 101 is very scenic and also very busy with other travelers too.
I have enjoyed using CA 97 to OR 26 then into WA and either the coast or up the I-5. LOTS of places along Oregon coast for pictures!!! If you need or require a place to stay and it is late drop me a line. I am about an hour and 20 minutes from Seattle.
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I took 101 last summer back home to Bellingham from Nevada and made myself a promise I would never do that again! Construction, buses, motor homes and a zillion cars. Finally cut off back to Portland and took 5 the rest of the way. When school gets out it's a zoo on 101. GT

·
Registered
129 Posts
Csomberg,
You could have the best of both worlds traveling north. Depending on you travel time allotted you could whisk your way north and then take the scenic way back south or vice versa. As others have said above the CA 101 through the OR 101 is very scenic and also very busy with other travelers too.
I have enjoyed using CA 97 to OR 26 then into WA and either the coast or up the I-5. LOTS of places along Oregon coast for pictures!!! If you need or require a place to stay and it is late drop me a line. I am about an hour and 20 minutes from Seattle.
Enjoy!!

I'm at Seattle Airport right now (without a motorcycle) going back to SoCal. First time up here, it's beautiful! Was visiting relatives in the Olympia area. Hope to return one day on the GTL :k16:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I would take Hwy 97 at Weed CA to Yakima, WA and then Hwy 12-410 around Mt Rainier

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I'm at Seattle Airport right now (without a motorcycle) going back to SoCal. First time up here, it's beautiful! Was visiting relatives in the Olympia area. Hope to return one day on the GTL :k16:
We will only let you back in if YOU DONT TELL ANYONE about the summers here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts