BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with a 2013-2015 Exclusive purchased one of the tan colored seats from Sargent and had any issues? It has gone back twice now. I’m having problems with the rear seat portion. The front seat portion will get to “fry an egg” stage but rear wont heat at all. Can put the stock seat back on and heats fine. Ideas? It has been back to them twice and checks fine. Is the wiring or anything different than the standard GTL?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any update on the repair at this point? I'm considering getting one of those for my '14 GTL Exclusive and was hoping it was a good set-up. I can't tolerate the stock seat for more than an hour or so. Need the bun warmers as it gets mighty chilly here. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I wonder if your problem is the connector between the bike and the seat? Did the heating element ever work on the Sargent? If Sargent says the seat is fine and the stock seat heats, which would indicate the bike electronics are fine, then I don't know what else it could be? The problem I have had is that the dealerships don't really stand behind any product they sell which is not a BMW product. I have had a problem since I bought the bike with the front seat heating. The dealership says the bike electronics are fine, but that I need to work with the Seat manufacturer, who is Sargent, even though they sold the original owner the seat.

My back seat heat works fine, but my front seat heat hasn't worked since I purchased my GTLE three years ago. I sent my front seat back to Sargent, it's there now. I bought a used stock seat and the heat worked, so I traded it off. But like you mentioned, it isn't as comfortable. So, I took the cover off the Sargent seat, to see if I could see a problem. The foam is formed around the heating element. So, you can't get to the heating element without tearing up the foam. So I called Sargent and talked to Eric, to see if they sold just the seat foam with a new element. They do, but it's $165.00. But, he said, if you send it in for repair it's only $65. So, that's where it is. I called them after they received it over a week ago. Whoever I talked to, said they are really backed up right now and they will get to it when they can.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Any update on the repair at this point? I'm considering getting one of those for my '14 GTL Exclusive and was hoping it was a good set-up. I can't tolerate the stock seat for more than an hour or so. Need the bun warmers as it gets mighty chilly here. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Let me save you some time and a bunch of trouble. From the Tahoe area.. do a ride in appointment at Russell for a complete rebuild. You wont be sorry.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
agree with @Darbinco 100%
I had a stock seat. Sergeant seat and finally a RDL seat on my KGT, there's NO COMPARISON.
I was crippled after 1 hour with stock, made it 3hrs with the Sgt and with the RDL, I really don't have to stop to give my butt a break. Honest, it's a game changer.

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
I agree with others 100% that RDL is the way to go. You can't beat the comfort. But, it's sooooo ugly! :) Reminds me of the Massey-Furguson tractor seat that use to ride to football practice back in high school.

Duane

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have a Seargents low GT set up and I rode from SF-LA 2 gas stops and one arse break and it worked for me, same on return flight. Some day I may try a RDL, but at 30" inseam I am still a little skeptical.
As far as Duane's MF seat, aren't those the seats they weld on milk cans now and sell at swap meets and County fairs? lol

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I saw you are in the Tahoe area and immediately thought how close you are to Shasta Lake and RDL---saw the others have already chimed in. I was there earlier this month and am itching for riding season to try it out on a long ride. Loved the short rides I had while in California.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts