BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another post, I spooned on some new RSIIIs yesterday. Went for a ride this morning to scrub them in. After about 20-25 miles I noticed the air pressure in the rear is lower than when I started. I kept an eye on the pressure the first few miles. All normal. But I had lost 5psi I noticed as I’m on the last few miles of my ride. Thought for sure my bead was leaking and was sick about trying to repair it. I had a family event to attend at noon plus I just didn’t wanna mess with it after a long day yesterday. But I went down a few minutes ago to find out what I was facing. Maybe the stem was loose...could I get that lucky? Tire was down to 10psi total. I aired it up to 42 and sprayed rim down with soapy water and then the stem. Nothing. Other side. Nothing. Is the tread leaking?? As soon as I started spraying down tread...I see something immediately and hit it with the spray. A freakin staple!! Like an electricians wire staple for nailing Rome’s to a stud or joist. Both legs embedded and leaking. Never have I picked up a staple or nail or other debris, especially on a brand new tire. Guess I was due! Now, guess who is going to be buying a Dynaplug kit?

ANYONE WHO PLUGS TIRES have an issue with two plugs 1/2” or so apart? It’s in the meat of the tread, near center. I DON”T wanna wrestle another rear so soon!!!

Anybody have as bad of luck on a brand new tire? I’ll check mileage...but pretty certain under 30. Ugh!

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Dang the luck! Better than hitting a deer on the way home from the dealership with your new bike but, still, that sucks.

I've plugged a number of tires and have even put as many as three gummy worms in a single hole with success but I've never plugged two different holes in such close proximity to one another. I don't know what to tell you but, hopefully, someone who's encountered an issue similar to yours will chime in. Sorry for your bad luck, bud.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I picked up one of those same staple things in my truck tire last month while turkey hunting!

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Anybody have as bad of luck on a brand new tire? I’ll check mileage...but pretty certain under 30. Ugh!
My very first ride on my Yamaha Warrior in 2006, not 10 miles from home, I got a huge puncture in a brand new Bridgestone. Immediate flat, and got less than a mile after feeling it. Hole too big to plug. I must have hit something sharp but pavement colored, and not seen it through a smoked visor. Thankfully, my wife was with me, as no cell service where it happened, and she rode home on her bike and got the truck and trailer and came back to get me. We went back and looked, but couldn’t find what I hit, so we figured I must have thrown it off the road after impact.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Years ago my hayabusa rear had 3 plugs. Ran that tire to the speed limiter more times than I can count. If it doesn’t hold air you’ll know quickly. If so. Pull plug and retry.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Hey James, have you ever used a product called Ride on? A forum member mentioned it to me this morning. After reading up on it an watching a couple of videos, I ordered a couple of bottles to give it a try, from what I read, best used before the puncture. Also, states if the hole is too small to seal, open it to allow the sealant to work. It may preserve the new tire.

No affiliation nor have I ever used it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I carry a tyre plugging kit (and note the correct spelling for TYRE) but only ever use it to plug the tyre and ride to the closest place to have that tyre replaced. I've never had the courage to trust a plugged tyre at speed or for any length of time.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Dynaplugs work great have had one in my tire for over 8K. Tire had 100 miles on it when I picked up a wood screw. Just as the ad states, no reaming no glue just push the tool in and pull it out leaving the plug. Those staple holes are tiny you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I carry a tyre plugging kit (and note the correct spelling for TYRE) but only ever use it to plug the tyre and ride to the closest place to have that tyre replaced. I've never had the courage to trust a plugged tyre at speed or for any length of time.
I've plugged several tires (okay, tyres) and ridden them for the full life of the thing. If the plug grips well, there's no need to swap out the tire. Just my experience, of course.

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Hey James, have you ever used a product called Ride on? A forum member mentioned it to me this morning. After reading up on it an watching a couple of videos, I ordered a couple of bottles to give it a try, from what I read, best used before the puncture. Also, states if the hole is too small to seal, open it to allow the sealant to work. It may preserve the new tire.

No affiliation nor have I ever used it.
Excellent product. Been using it since’2000.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Rear tire? Take the wheel off and bring it to an automotive tire shop, tell them the rim is worth $1300 and it better not get scratched, and get them to remove the tire and put on a patch from the inside. They can balance it on their regular balance and $25 later you’ve got a patched & balanced tire. Patches are better than plugs, especially in your scenario.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Rear tire? Take the wheel off and bring it to an automotive tire shop, tell them the rim is worth $1300 and it better not get scratched, and get them to remove the tire and put on a patch from the inside. They can balance it on their regular balance and $25 later you’ve got a patched & balanced tire. Patches are better than plugs, especially in your scenario.
Agree patches are always better. But plugs work just fine as well. Done it probably 20 times on bike tires. What happens when you live in new developments most of your life - workers seem to drop more nails/screws than they put on the houses

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did u
I picked up one of those same staple things in my truck tire last month while turkey hunting!
Did you bag a Tom at least?

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Appreciate the feedback! Misery loves company I’ve heard. I didn’t think they would patch a motorcycle tire (tyre for @Donna) although location seems near optimal. And I’ll give RideOn a google! Ordered the DynaPlug because it’s been on the list for a while for emergencies and travel.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Did u

Did you bag a Tom at least?
I did! Took some perserverence. I had a tag for the state's largest state wildlife area, the Bosque del Oso, and due to the COVID-19, there was no camping allowed. So...I drove down on an off day each time...about 3 hours down and then 3 hours back. Tried two different canyons the first two trips and wasn't seeing much turkey sign and never heard a gobble. The third time was the charm!

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
As others have said, plugging it wont be an issue and thank goodness these bikes have a monitor that you can watch right on the dash. You mentioned that the holes are directly in the center which makes it even safer. Plug it, let it sit and monitor the pressure. If it holds overnight, you're good to go

·
Registered
534 Posts
It's great if you can find a automotive tire shop that will patch a motorcycle tire. Most here in the states won't even mount, let alone patch a motorcycle tire. However, I have taken them in and told them it was off a trailer and got a new tire mounted. I have also had a guy know his stuff and told me it wasn't off a trailer, it was off a motorcycle, but did it anyway, for free. But I don't think any would patch a tire, if they new it was for a motorcycle. I know of no motorcycle shop that will patch a motorcycle tire.

Appreciate the feedback! Misery loves company I’ve heard. I didn’t think they would patch a motorcycle tire (tyre for @Donna) although location seems near optimal. And I’ll give RideOn a google! Ordered the DynaPlug because it’s been on the list for a while for emergencies and travel.
They may have improved the Dyna plugs since I tried to use them when they first came out. They didn't hold as well as the old rope patch with plenty of glue. I have had the little metal tip come off inside the tire, then you have to decide whether you leave it to roll around or take the tire off to remove it. Like I said, may be they have improved them. Never tried RideOn but have heard good things about it. Given my luck, I might give that a try. :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just be glad it's a staple, and not like the one I had that decided to smoke a cigar.

Patched tires are fine to ride on, with a few caveats. I've ridden countless miles on string-patched tires. Regardless of how you patch it up, de-rate the tire from the original speed rating (149mph for V, 168 for W, etc.). Most riders don't typically sustain speeds anywhere close to the tire ratings, so it's not a big issue. Also, change out the tire a bit earlier than you would otherwise. Motorcycle tire carcass is rather thin when it's worn down to the wear bars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts