BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations of aftermarket seat cushions for my K16GA (btw, I never know if it's a BGA or just a GA, seems both are used here).

Before I invest a grand into a RDL or similar, I thought I'd try a seat cushion. Two the come up are Airhawk and Saddlemen Gel. Does anyone have any experience with either of these or any other recommended option? The bum gets sore after an hour with stock seat.

Airhawk at Revzilla

Saddlemen at Revzilla

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've used the air hawk with good results in the past, but not great. That being said, there's just no replacement for a great seat, pads are just pads, and they'll get you through but that's about it. I resisted doing the RDL for a long time due to the cost, time it takes to get etc. But now that I've done it, I don't think I'll ever own a touring bike without it. They custom make a seat for you, and it's amazing. I wouldn't even bother spending the money on a pad unless you just don't plan to ever do anything else

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
I have used the Airhawk. I replaced the seat with an RDL after about two years.
The Airhawk is fine so long as you do not add too much air. I have it set to where my arse is just "floats" by a little, something like 20% or less of air pressure.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Personal opinion here but add on seat cushions are like lipstick on a pig... except.. not nearly as attractive.

If you go the RDL route now, you will be 120 bucks ahead of the game.

Ohhh and yes, I tried them and didnt have good results.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
I haven't used either the air or the gel, but if I was going to choose one to try, I would always lean toward air based on my experiences with other gel pads, etc. I have an RDL as well. I had a Laam seat on my FJR.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Like a lot of the guys here I bought a large Air Hawk Cushion and to be honest it took a few rides to get the amount of air right for me. Most say the minimum amount of air you put in the better results. I found I needed a little more than I thought, yes I sort of float above the seat but I find it works better for me that way. I was about to give up and throw the thing in the garbage then added more air and now I can ride all day in full comfort. I dare say I most likely run more air in mine than most and no I am not a big guy at around 74 kg or 163 pounds but have stuffed long term back injury so that work fantastic for me.

I have a few mates that have tried the gel cushions and ended up with the Air Hawk after trying mine. but I guess that also comes back to what works for you. We don't have the seat options you guys in the USA have and buying one then paying the conversion rate and postage without knowing what the seats really feel like are a big ask. I found the cheaper option with the Air Hawk being a good result and not cost me thousands of dollars. I was willing to try it and throw it away if it did not work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an Air Hawk, and find being able to change the air pressure in the pad helps with comfort, especially on really long rides. If you are uncomfortable after only an hour on the stock seat, I'm not sure how much any type of pad will help, but being able to adjust the cushioning in a pad using air will change the pressure points, and sholuld allow for less discomfort for longer periods of time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have an Air Hawk will I will sell for $75. It works pretty good but my wife wanted a RDL. So guess what...I got a RDL. The Air Hawk is no substitute for a RDL, but it is a significant improvement over a stock seat. My advice- If you have $500 that you don't mind spending on a seat I would definitely get a RDL. But if you are like me I would first see if an Air Hawk works well enough before spending that kind of money. But if your wife rides pillion and she is not satisfied with the stock seat, it is probably wise to save your money and get a RDL and not waste your money on an Air Hawk .

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
The RDL is your best bet.

But I put thousands of miles on an AirHawk before I had the RDL. It's still a huge improvement over the stock seat.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I'm looking for recommendations of aftermarket seat cushions for my K16GA (btw, I never know if it's a BGA or just a GA, seems both are used here).

Before I invest a grand into a RDL or similar, I thought I'd try a seat cushion. Two the come up are Airhawk and Saddlemen Gel. Does anyone have any experience with either of these or any other recommended option? The bum gets sore after an hour with stock seat.

Airhawk at Revzilla

Saddlemen at Revzilla
I have bought a lot of seats and seat pads over the years. The best replacement seat, by far, was the RDL but when I got the K1600 I started thinking about a quicker and cheaper solution. The problem with BMW seats in general, at least post R bike, are that they are hard and domed in the center and no ones butt conforms to that shape. Its like sitting on a bowling ball. If you look at an RDL you see that the base at the back is essentially flat with "wings" on each side for butt support. With that in mind, I got a piece of 2" thick memory foam and a piece of 1" thick stiff foam and made this:

The Pad is a kidney shaped piece of memory foam with two circular stiff foam butt pads under the memory foam on the outside edges of the pad. There is no foam under the front edge even though there is vinyl there. I was just too lazy to sew a kidney shape cut at the front. I sewed up the cover with black vinyl and added two straps to attach it to the frame members on each side.
The results? Better than the RDL IMHO. The memory foam conforms to the shape of my butt and the stiff foam supports like the wings on the RDL. Total cost around $20.00 and an hour or so cutting foam and sewing up the cover. it ain't the prettiest (the next one I make will be prettier), but it is a perfect cure for the K1600 torture seat.
If anyone wants more build specs they can PM me. Heck, I might even sell 'em.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Airhawk at Revzilla

Saddlemen at Revzilla
My wife and I have both used the Airhawk and it works pretty good, but like anything else I don't think anything beats a great seat. The Airhawk is dependent on how much air you have in it, you don't want it filled, and you want your butt to just float off the seat.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use the Airhawk as well. At one time I installed it when I was going on a ride of a couple hours or more and now I just leave it on and use it all the time. The key seems to be to have barely any air in it at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts