BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Also both SM-10's and RD are powered by separate circuits from the EZCan II.
I’ve done similar: each SM10 is powered from separate EZCan II outputs. My Fluke meter tells me that they share a common ground, so I chose the route of leaving the audio ground to one SM10 floating as a precaution, but your experience suggests that may not be strictly necessary.
Why separate circuits? Those things draw so little, you could put 10-20 of them on one circuit. Plus, you need the SM10 working to hear the RD. If you lose either one, you're out of luck as far as the RD goes. In addition, I don't have a spare on my ezCAN. I'm using channels as follows: aux lights, horn, tail/brake, and accessories where the accessories as the RD, the SM10, the Clearwater Betsy's with Shrodie's, and a 12V outlet in the trunk which is used for charging a tablet or other small electronics..

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Why separate circuits?
Dead simple: Sometimes I wish to listen to music, but my wife doesn’t. Other times she does. Both SM10's are inaccessible without tools, and I don’t want to mount additional switches on the bike's bodywork, but I need to be able to turn on/off the passenger SM10 independently while riding. The rider SM10 is therefore connected to the EZCan on a regular ignition-switched accessory circuit, while the pillion SM10 is connected to an output that can be switched on or off by the turn signal cancel button.

I don’t use a radar detector (they’re illegal and attract huge penalties in pretty much every European country I ride in) and I don’t have any auxiliary lights to control either. For my use case the EZCan II is a bit of an extravagant solution, but what price elegance of installation and domestic harmony?;)

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Why separate circuits? Those things draw so little, you could put 10-20 of them on one circuit. Plus, you need the SM10 working to hear the RD. If you lose either one, you're out of luck as far as the RD goes. In addition, I don't have a spare on my ezCAN. I'm using channels as follows: aux lights, horn, tail/brake, and accessories where the accessories as the RD, the SM10, the Clearwater Betsy's with Shrodie's, and a 12V outlet in the trunk which is used for charging a tablet or other small electronics..
Totally agree I could have powered all three with one circuit but I had them available so why not? They're set to be uninterrupted so they're all on with the ignition, the RD is on the dash in sight so it's easy to see if it's not powered and it's only feeding my SM-10 so my wife doesn't have to listen to it. No plan for Clearwater lights at the moment and I'm a never a trunker! :D Plus when I added the second SM-10 I didn't want to modify the installation of the original.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Plus when I added the second SM-10 I didn't want to modify the installation of the original.
Don't suppose you have a photo of where you mounted the second SM10 under the left canoe, do you? When I offered mine up it all looked a bit too cramped :unsure:

41 - 46 of 46 Posts