BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been disappointed with the Sena 20S Evo audio volume since day one. At full volume I was unable to clearly listen to music and could barely hear the GPS audio directions while riding at highway speeds. I wear a Schuberth C3 Pro with silicon earplugs. From my online searches, it appears I wasn’t alone in my Sena volume disappointment.

Thankfully I stumbled across a YouTube video made by Kurt with the BMW Motorrad Club of Northern Illinois. Kurt replaced his Sena speakers with a set from a Panasonic RP-DJS400 headset. According to Kurt, the DJS400 speakers are the same specification as the Sena speakers and will not impact battery life.

I performed the modification. WOW, a very significant improvement with audio volume and sound quality over the Sena speakers! I went for a 200 mile ride and I could clearly hear music and GPS directions at half volume. At the end of the ride the battery level was “medium”. The Panasonic DJS400 headset with shipping cost $25.79. The ability to clearly listen is priceless. :smile:

The YouTube video link is:

Or perform a YouTube search using: “Sena SMH Bluetooth Helmet Speakers - Time for a Huge Upgrade!”

Rob, 2013 K16GT
Navarre, FL
IBA# 606

·
Registered
597 Posts
Glad it worked for you. My buddy did the very same thing with his Sena. I told him I didn't have any problem with my Sena. He tried mine and said "don't bother". When I compared the two I couldn't tell too much of a difference except I thought my stock Sena speakers had a tad more bass. He said my Sena speakers were much better then his. If it's better for you $25 dollars is a great upgrade, he enjoyed the upgraded speakers until he got the SRC for his Shoei Neotech 2 and hasn't felt the need to change them. I wonder when Sena cheapened up on the speakers. I think my Sena is just the 20s, I think the EVO came out after mine.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Yep, it was a definite improvement. I just sold my Sena's or would let you try them. It was difficult soldering the wires since they were so small. BTW this was with Sena's 20S.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just gave this upgrade a go, and WOW :oops:

Not a massive difference in volume, but it's definitely louder. The sound quality, however, is SOOOOO much better than the stock speaker on my SMH10!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad the speaker modification was able to help with sound volume. I‘ll also be performing the mod on a riding mate’s Sena 20S. I expect he’ll have the reaction.

Rob, 2013 K16GT
Navarre, FL
IBA# 606

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Trying to blast speaker audio through good quality ear plugs is an unsatisfying experience. Very early on I went with high quality in ear monitors from Sensaphonics and never regretted it for a moment. I've been using them for 8 years on rides lasting up to 14 hour days on 2 - 3 week trips, day after day and there's no better audio quality to be had with excellent hearing protection. And best of all, no need to modify my helmet or Sena.

There are lots of threads and good information on here if you search back a few years on Sensaphonics.

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
I had a pair of these in my junk drawer and with the help of an ear bud adapter for my Sena SMH10R the sound quality was substantially better.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I've found a good combination solution for hearing my audio while riding! I got tired trying to overpower the wind noise and ear plugs.

I have a Schuberth C3Pro helmet and I just bought a Sena (Schuberth) SC10UA bluetooth helmet unit. I then sent it to Plug-Up to have a 3.5mm jack installed. For Christmas, my wife got me a pair of Sensaphonic 2X-S IEM's. They are amazing...but that discussion will be in a different thread.
Got everything installed and it is amazing how clear the audio is. I plug the IEM's into my helmet before I put the helmet on and then control my iPhone via the SC10UA, the SC10UA does all I need it to do Volume up, Volume Down, Forward or back tracks. It's good solution with no distortion of the audio and with the IEMs the noise is so reduced I find myself actually turning down the volume (gain) .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts