BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only had it a few days but my initial impression of Sena SRL is that it's a bit rubbish, kinda thinking I should have stuck my old Cardo Scala on the side instead!!

Poor sound quality on boost, not loud enough without it, can hardly hear the built in voice response to "hello sena" and other minor niggles that all add up to make me think my old scala is better.
The helmet itself is excellent tho and I got a black Friday bargain on it too.
I'll persevere with it for a bit longer
Anyone experiencing similar??

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Not me. I think it's great. Perhaps you have the settings wrong.
Connect it to your computer to see if it has the latest code and at the end you can adjust the settings. Another thing with the Sena units the sound can be adjusted separately for everything connected including the internal voice. Simply press the up button while she is talking.
I wear earplugs and hear it well over 70MPH on my GS.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
467 Posts
Another thing with the Sena units the sound can be adjusted separately for everything connected including the internal voice. Simply press the up button while she is talking.
I wear earplugs and hear it well over 70MPH on my GS.
I sometimes wonder whether complaints about the SRL not being loud enough are borne of lack of knowledge regarding how the volume is adjusted independently for each individual source?

FWIW, my wife and I both have Neotec 2's with Sena SRL, we both wear custom moulded earplugs that provide 27dBA attenuation, and we can converse easily and listen to music comfortably at 120mph.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I really enjoy my SRL but it became better with the remote that allows for better control of the volume. It is perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
602 Posts
I should also mention that I am in the process of getting a R1250RT without a radio. The last four bikes I have had all had radio's so I am transferring music to my Nav VI and have discovered that the playback from the Nav VI to the Sena is excellent. In addition, I can pause the music and restart it with voice commands.

Probably will not need to buy a bike again with a radio.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
One of the big keys to any headset is the placement of the speakers. If they are not as close to the ear canal as possible you will get poor sound volume and quality. Don't accept that the speakers or speaker pockets are properly placed by the manufacturer. Everyone's head is different.

·
Registered
467 Posts
^ This is absolutely true, but it's harder to move the SRL speaker position in the Neotech 2 as they are inserted into a specific cut-out in the liner which has no "wriggle room". Not impossible to do, but not easy either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate everyone's comments, thanks.
I'm using the thing daily and have already increased the built in voice volume to a satisfactory level, thanks to Ricks little tip. I will do a firmware update and make adjustments via the Device Manager tonight.
I had thought about moving the speakers closer with the aid of some packing , etc. so will give that a try too.
I'm still disappointed to discover I can't charge and use the Sena at the same time, and the charge socket position is poorly thought out.
Moans over, feeling optimistic I can get it set up to my satisfaction now :)

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Take a piece of stiff paper and place the point at your ear canal. Then put on your helmet and draw an out line or tape the paper to the helmet so you know where to place the speaker. I have been told that Sena will not allow use and charging of the SRL and SC1 headsets, because of fire or radiation fears.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm using the thing daily and have already increased the built in voice volume to a satisfactory level, thanks to Ricks little tip. I will do a firmware update and make adjustments via the Device Manager tonight.
Glad you're starting to get to grips with the SRL. It's certainly not perfect (my main gripes are the inability to charge it while in use, the terrible FM Radio performance and that it sometimes "misinterprets" normal speech as the initiator for voice commands) but once it's set up properly the audio clarity is excellent and the integration with the helmet great.

Regarding the firmware, the last edition that made any changes to audio performance was v1.0.6 which was released at the beginning of this year; the latest release (v1.0.7) just adds support for iOS 13 - which may or may not be relevant to you.

FWIW, after some experimentation the settings I settled on for our SRL's are:

• Audio Multitasking – Enabled
  • Intercom-Audio Overlay Sensitivity – 2
  • Audio Overlay Volume Management - Disabled
  • Audio Boost – Disabled
  • Smart Volume Control – Medium
  • VOX Phone – Disabled
  • HD Intercom – Enabled
  • Eight-way Intercom – Disabled
  • Voice Prompt – Enabled
  • FM Station Guide – Enabled
  • Sidetone – Enabled
  • Advanced Noise Control – Enabled
  • Voice Command – Enabled
I commend you to read the manual regarding Audio Multitasking, Intercom-Audio Overlay Sensitivity and Audio Overlay Volume Management as the interaction between those settings can be difficult to grasp.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Appreciate everyone's comments, thanks.
I had thought about moving the speakers closer with the aid of some packing , etc. so will give that a try too.
I'm still disappointed to discover I can't charge and use the Sena at the same time, and the charge socket position is poorly thought out.
Moans over, feeling optimistic I can get it set up to my satisfaction now :)
I hope all works out.

When I got my Shoei Neotec 2, I researched long and hard about what comm system to go with. The SRL was the easy choice since it's an integrated solution. But the reviews I read were mixed at best. I went on to converse with a couple of Geeks at Revzilla. They essentially said the SRL was no more than an OK solution, and convinced me the Cardo options were a superior choice. They had no sinister reason to steer me to Cardo since it was a more difficult install and a cheaper sale. I've had no regrets with the Freecom 4+. The JBL speakers are exceptional at any speed. The battery life is all day with lots of juice left over.

Again hope things work out. There are other options if the SRL doesn't work out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So after some weeks of continued use, me and the Sena are getting along just fine, the biggest impact was to relocate the speakers and this has resulted in satisfactory volume level and an acceptable sound quality for music, intercom & GPS.

My conclusion is that it's an 'okay' comms system.
Helmet integration is excellent (once speakers relocated)
Battery life is good (recharge in 2 hours on Anker 10400mAh power bank)
Sound quality acceptable
I like the ability to add several BT devices, (e.g I have phone, Nav V & Bike BT) my Scala Q3 was a max of two
Intercom connection to my pillions Scala Q3 is okay so far, not as slick as to another Sena unit but will suffice for now
Voice control via "Hello Sena" works well most of the time
Charging socket is poor
Boom microphone isn't my favourite option, I'd prefer a stick on one.

·
Upside Down
1,185 Posts
I should also mention that I am in the process of getting a R1250RT without a radio. The last four bikes I have had all had radio's so I am transferring music to my Nav VI and have discovered that the playback from the Nav VI to the Sena is excellent. In addition, I can pause the music and restart it with voice commands.

Probably will not need to buy a bike again with a radio.
That's interesting as we have the radio as standard on all the bikes that would normally be equipped with them and can not delete the radio on the bikes from factory or a dealership. I know that some countries the radio is an option as with a lot of other items we get as standard on our bikes here in Oz. By the way, you will love the R1250RT they have heaps of torque throughout the rev range and ride as smooth as butter. Enjoy your new bike.

Reactions: DavidMcK

·
Upside Down
1,185 Posts
I hope all works out.

When I got my Shoei Neotec 2, I researched long and hard about what comm system to go with. The SRL was the easy choice since it's an integrated solution. But the reviews I read were mixed at best. I went on to converse with a couple of Geeks at Revzilla. They essentially said the SRL was no more than an OK solution, and convinced me the Cardo options were a superior choice. They had no sinister reason to steer me to Cardo since it was a more difficult install and a cheaper sale. I've had no regrets with the Freecom 4+. The JBL speakers are exceptional at any speed. The battery life is all day with lots of juice left over.

Again hope things work out. There are other options if the SRL doesn't work out.
I currently have the Schuberth C4 with the SC1 remote and it works fine but always had issues trying to get the voice command to work. The coms unit is a SENA made for Schuberth . I have to say the helmet is so comfortable and no problems with pressure on my ears from the speakers like I had with the Sena S20 that was hopeless in that way , the very reason I bought the C4 helmet about 2 years ago. It is about time I updated my coms and helmet I was close to buying the new Shoei Neotec 2 but it uses the Sena unit that I don't like and did not want to risk the same as my old Shoei Neotec 2 that I added the Sena S20 to and hated the ear pressure from them after adjusting the ear /speakers so many times I gave up and bought the C4 that has been fantastic. But as the years go by things change and the advancement of the Cardo units, in my opinion after a lot of research seems to be the ants pants these days. The thing is I wanted to try the Card Packtalk Bold so I bought one and the new Shoei NXR which is a full-face helmet over the modular that I like so much. I had to make the compromise as I really wanted both a Shoei helmet that was light and built quality that Shoei has, plus I wanted the Packtalk bold because the voice commands seem to work so well without having to touch the coms unit. Ok, I am raving on so to make this a shorter post lol I bought the NXR full-face Shoei and the Cardo Packtalk Bold and just waiting for them to be delivered from the Netherlands where I bought both cheaper than I could buy them for here in Australia, saving my self around $700.00 AUD overall with buying both with free postage to my address. Now I just have to wait till they are delivered to try them. JohnS1955, Your post has made me feel like I have done the right thing by going with the Packtalk Bold thank you for that!! I just hope the full-faced helmet is not going to piss me off too much lol.I am sure I will get used to it and love the coms. with the JB speakers as I love music while riding and the hands-free function of the Cardo.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I bought the NXR full-face Shoei and the Cardo Packtalk Bold and just waiting for them to be delivered from the Netherlands where I bought both cheaper than I could buy them for here in Australia, saving my self around $700.00 AUD overall with buying both with free postage to my address. Now I just have to wait till they are delivered to try them. JohnS1955, Your post has made me feel like I have done the right thing by going with the Packtalk Bold thank you for that!! I just hope the full-faced helmet is not going to piss me off too much lol.I am sure I will get used to it and love the coms. with the JB speakers as I love music while riding and the hands-free function of the Cardo.
Good choice on the Palktalk Bold. If I needed mesh, I would have gone with that choice too. You're really going to like the voice command capabilities and the sound from the JBL speakers.

If you ever go down hard on your bike, you're going to thank the stars that you have a full face helmet. They're life savers, no matter what inconvenience there is. After a while, you don't even think about it. At least it was that way for me. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts