BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Only had it a few days but my initial impression of Sena SRL is that it's a bit rubbish, kinda thinking I should have stuck my old Cardo Scala on the side instead!!

Poor sound quality on boost, not loud enough without it, can hardly hear the built in voice response to "hello sena" and other minor niggles that all add up to make me think my old scala is better.
The helmet itself is excellent tho and I got a black Friday bargain on it too.
I'll persevere with it for a bit longer
Anyone experiencing similar??

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
Had mine for about a year, very happy. No issues, would buy again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I thought I'd revisit this thread i started a while back to express my deep disappointment with the Sena Srl, mine has frozen on me about a dozen times now and there's nothing to fix it other than let the battery run flat, recharge it and then it works for anywhere between a day and a month or two. It's very frustrating indeed. I wouldn't trust it on a multi day tour.
I'm going to the supplier and request a refund or exchange.
It's updated to latest firmware and I think the problem has been worse since the latest update.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Sena has a two year warinty and the help desk is very good. I suggest you call them and tell them your problems. They will give you suggestions to see if it can be reset and if not they will send you a new unit. Contact Us | Sena

·
Registered
234 Posts
there's nothing to fix it other than let the battery run flat, recharge it
When it freezes again, next to the charging port, there is a pinhole, put a pin in it to reset it. This leaves all your settings intact, and is the equivalent of switching it off and on again.

Joe

·
Registered
524 Posts
@Arch Stanton - Just wondering if you managed to get your issue with the SRL resolved?

Recently, Angie's SRL has taken to shutting down at random. No "Goodbye", or anything, it just powers off. Sometimes this is within a couple of minutes of powering it on, sometimes longer, but press the front and centre buttons and you get the "Preparing headset" annunciation, and it all fires up again. At least until today.

I decided I'd update the firmware from v1.0.7 to the current v1.0.8 to see if that made any difference. I know the release notes don't mention anything about stability, but often bugs like that get corrected "silently" in a firmware release, so I decided to give it a go. Well, the headset didn't experience any random shutdowns, so that was good. What wasn't so good is when we arrived home Angie said, "I can't turn my headset off", and sure enough it was non-responsive to all the buttons. In the end I used the fault reset pinhole and it powered off. Trouble was it then refused to power on again :rolleyes:

So, I plugged it in to a charger and the red charging LED illuminated. I then unplugged it from the charger and it now powers on and off with the front and centre buttons just as it should.

I've raised a Support Case with Sena and will post back to this thread if/when I have a resolution. Needless to say, this has happened now that the headset is 3 months outside the warranty period...

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've raised a Support Case with Sena and will post back to this thread if/when I have a resolution. Needless to say, this has happened now that the headset is 3 months outside the warranty period...
The moral of the story is to be wary of convenient integrated helmet comm solutions. They're generally a compromise of function for aesthetics/form. The SRL2 is exhibit#1.

When I got my Shoei Neotec2, I really wanted to like the SRL2. I looked for reasons to get it instead of a generic Sena/Cardo system. Even after the Geeks at Revzilla recommended a Cardo instead, I still looked for SRL2 excuses. It became a final no-go when they told me the SRL2 speakers were hardwired and I couldn't upgrade. That was a compromise I couldn't accept.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The moral of the story is to be wary of convenient integrated helmet comm solutions. They're generally a compromise of function for aesthetics/form.
I agree - to an extent - but I'm not sure how an issue that's arisen after 27 months of good performance underscores that view?

I'll also add that (due to the timeline) I'm one of the "early adopters" with the SRL / Neotec II combo, so without people like me you wouldn't have a benchmark to measure against ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
I agree - to an extent - but I'm not sure how an issue that's arisen after 27 months of good performance underscores that view?

I'll also add that (due to the timeline) I'm one of the "early adopters" with the SRL / Neotec II combo, so without people like me you wouldn't have a benchmark to measure against ;)
LOL.... Many moons ago, I had a Schuberth C3 and I went with the integrated Cardo Scala system designed for that helmet. It was built into the helmet collar -- you hardly knew it was there. It was a very clever implementation. But after a year or so the collar material started to degrade, which made the button operations more-and-more difficult to the point where I tossed it. My wife's standalone generic version wasn't much to look at, but functionally it was rock solid. She kept it for many years without issues. The experiences that form our thinking.....

Good luck with support, and I sincerely hope your SRL2 issues get resolved.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts