BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Sergent seat a week or two ago and installed it this afternoon. Had to wait a few days for the spacer from BMW. The spacer was relatively easy to install, yet there were some clips that came with it that I just couldn't get on - so, we'll see if those things fly off. The spacer isn't a must have, but it's a nice to have.

I meant to take photos all along the install process but got focused on what I was doing, so I've only got some pre/post pictures for you. Install from start to finish, including the BMW spacer, was about 30 minutes or so.

In brief, remove the old seat, take the key barrel and power switch for rear power heat off the stock seat. Install those two items on the Sergent rear seat. When you put the key barrel in the provided Sergent barrel assembly you have to then screw that into the Sergent seat. Easy peasy. Connect the power, install the rear seat and use two provided "thumb" bolts (that you screw in by hand) to anchor the rear seat. Install the front seat, boom, you're ready for a ride.

I also purchased the backrest from Sergent - truth be told, that was one of the big drivers for replacing the seat. The pan is a little wider and deeper, so the seat provides that lower back support. The back rest provides middle back support and, for me, is absolutely required for long distance rides. I like that you can remove the backrest in about 10 seconds (ok, probably two) for those around town rides.

I did take a brief 15 minute ride this evening and it felt pretty good. I'm kicking around a long ride this weekend. I'm in SC in the low country and am kicking around a ride to Key West this weekend just for fun. That's about 600 miles each way and will be a good break in for the seat.

:)

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a Sergent seat on my 1150GSAdv and loved it. Did a 20k Alaska trip on it and it was awesome. Looking forward to putting some miles on this one. ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have one that I like on my R1200GSA and I ordered one yesterday (sale!) for my K1600GT. Never really thought about a break in need. The transition was pretty much immediate.

Ron

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Looks really nice Dan. Would you be able to post a pic of the BMW spacer you bought. I can't picture where it goes and the guys at Sargent said a lot of guys don't feel it's needed.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s definitely not needed. You probably wouldn’t even notice if it wasn’t there. I’m lazy tonight, but will drag my ass 30’ to the garage tomorrow and post pictures. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I purchased a Sargent seat for my GTL this summer. Immediately set off on a 3500 mile round trip from So Cal to BC, Canada. Loved the seat and never felt like it needed to break in. Comfy from day 1, so if it does break in, it can only get better.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can’t even see those unless you look close. They are under the front side.

Left side:

Right side:

Wider view:

I wouldn’t buy it again. Yeah, it may keep some bugs outta there, but there’s no way you’d see a gap with a casual examination of the bike. Now, true, it was only $40 from Cross Country. The manual that came with it? A work of art. Probably 60 pages and multiple languages. Typical BMW.

·
Registered
259 Posts
who was your retailer for the seat or does Sargent sell direct?

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Some of their products are sold by Drag Specialties. I checked there first because I can get Drag parts at cost. Unfortunately, they didn't carry the one for the K1600 (other BMW bikes they had tho).

So I emailed Sargent and they offered no tax, no shipping and 10% off the seat price. Comes with a 30 day money back return. Just have to pay the return shipping if you want to send it back.

@danbrew Thanks for posting the pics bud.

·
Registered
259 Posts
are sargent seats basically off the shelf, or are they custom, taking into consideration rider's height/weight/proportions, etc.?

Jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m adding to this instead of creating a new thread. I put a Sargent Low seat on a GT. Here are photos.

Comments:
Seat height with a ruler is 1” lower than stock, But the stock foam is softer, so it is effectively 1/2” lower. I would expect the Sargent standard height to feel about 1/2” higher than stock.
Seat is firm, like a Corbin.
Mounting is like OEM.
Wife feels much more secure on the back.
Covering is a textured. I wouldn’t call it slippery, but you can slide for and aft without lifting up.
Seems to heat up slowly, but can get very warm I’m rarely above level 2.
1BA6DEBB-021E-4D07-9D62-BD1D16CD18F7.jpeg
1BA6DEBB-021E-4D07-9D62-BD1D16CD18F7.jpeg
6558331D-53A2-4AEE-A6F6-D4BD31ACC744.jpeg
85F6B691-4236-484F-B6B0-B0224323FC1A.jpeg

·
Registered
231 Posts
While I like my Sargent, that Carbon FX cover is way too slippery, compared to OEM and other seats. Unsettling for the pillion, uncomfortable for me on longer runs, when the extended pressure against the handlebars, to keep me fixed, in position, would hurt my hands.
I paid extra for the upgrade to the DTX Performance + covers (I think that's how they call it). I couldn't live with the stock Sargent seat cover (the Carbon FX one, that I see in everyone's photos, on this thread).

·
Registered
670 Posts
Guys thanks for sharing both photos tell the story and explain so much making it a lot easier to know what you had mentioned about the fitment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts