BMW K1600 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Well, it didn't take long to confirm the firmware update didn't fix the problem. A week went by with several rides, but about 50 miles into today's ride it failed as before. I scanned with my GS911 when I got back home, but there were no fault codes. That was a bit of a surprise. I'll contact the dealership and see if I can get them to replace the shift assist hardware module, although at least one other forum member has reported that was done without remedying the issue.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, it didn't take long to confirm the firmware update didn't fix the problem. A week went by with several rides, but about 50 miles into today's ride it failed as before. I scanned with my GS911 when I got back home, but there were no fault codes. That was a bit of a surprise. I'll contact the dealership and see if I can get them to replace the shift assist hardware module, although at least one other forum member has reported that was done without remedying the issue.
That won't fix issue, if you have the shift sensor improper voltage codes, it's not the module

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yep, that would be me...I hope it works, but...it didn't in my case.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I didn't have any real expectation that the firmware upgrade would fix the problem, but I was willing to give it a chance since there is plenty of warranty left. I actually don't have much confidence that replacing the hardware module will fix it either, but they want to give that a shot so I'll go along with it.

I guess the next step is to let them keep the bike and "dig into it" as they say. I'd expect to get an equivalent bike as a loner if they were to keep it. We'll see.

Has anybody actually had this problem successfully fixed? It doesn't prevent the bike from being used, of course, but it is sort of like a moustache on the Mona Lisa for it not to work as it is supposed to. I had shift assist on my previous bike (a R1200R LC) and it was flawless.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shift assist stopped working at around 21000 km on my 2018 MY GTL.
Ditto here on my '18 GTL w/ about 31K-ish miles. Not seeing any warning / check engine lights on the dash. It just won't up or down shift as it normally would with the shift assist. I'm addicted to that little feature and use it all the time. If I release the throttle a bit, I can get it to click up or down, but shouldn't need to do that. Normal clutch operation is not an issue.

Others have mentioned extended warranties... absolutely! The 7yr & unlimited mile warranty was a big seller for me, soooo.... a ride over to the shop this Friday it is. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
My 2018 GT had a few episodes of frequent failures, seems OK now. In another thread there was some suspicion that throttle actuation failures and SA problems could be linked via bad connections somewhere in the harness between the SA sensor and the ECM. The failure codes indicate out of range voltages that could be a hint. When it shows up again, I will open the relevant connectors and check for sign of pitting.
Some Harleys had serious issues with a specific type of ECM connector that corroded in no time and wreaked havoc in the electronic systems.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I wanted to post a update on my shift assist issue. I have been searching social media, forums, for others, with the shift assist problem like I have been experiencing since about 3,500 miles on my 2018B.
So, since it is such a pain, to drop the bike off, and leave it at the dealer, I decided to put to use, the little online info I have come across.
I disconnected the battery terminals, and right away notice the negative cable was not fully tightened. Meaning I could rotate it, with a bit of effort. I then pulled off the panel where the ECU is, and removed it. I used compressed air to clean the pin connectors and made sure they were back on fully, and that the sliding locks, were fully locked.
Put it back together, installed and tightened the battery cables. Hooked up the GS911, and cleared the voltage codes in the system.
I then took the bike out for a 8 mile ride(This was several days ago).
Yesterday, I rode for about 100 miles, trying everything to get it to malfunction, but it worked great. Today, I rode another 50+ miles again, the shift assist worked great.
Keep in mind, it has stopped working 50 or more times, in the past 4,000 miles. I got to where, I was able to get it to malfunction, just by using the clutch, then not using it. Or winding out a gear, and not shifting, rather just slowing down. I have tried everything to get it to malfunction, but it hasn't.
Crazy thing, is when I brought it to the dealer, and they replace the shift assist assembly, I would have thought, that they would have checked the cables first. Idk, what the fix was. The ECU pin connectors, battery cable, being not fully tight. I do know, that it shifts great!
I hope this helps anyone with this issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is now a known problem with the connector at the ECU. All systems go thought that connector. BMW is now distributing a "tool" to clean the pins from contamination deposited on the pins during the manufacturing process. My problem presented itself with Throttle Body errors. I suggest that anyone with this type problem to contact a dealer who is aware of the issue and has the tool. A can of contact cleaner and a light brushing would probably due in a pinch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is now a known problem with the connector at the ECU. All systems go thought that connector. BMW is now distributing a "tool" to clean the pins from contamination deposited on the pins during the manufacturing process. My problem presented itself with Throttle Body errors. I suggest that anyone with this type problem to contact a dealer who is aware of the issue and has the tool. A can of contact cleaner and a light brushing would probably due in a pinch.
Will ask dealer when I get my bike back, hopefully next week, it's been over two months now

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
Anyone who has sent their ECU to Bren, is gonna be familiar with the 2 connectors. My understanding is that there is a pin (possibly several) inside the connector, that in some instances, doesn't make contact, as it should. I was told by a dealer, that they would open a tag, with BMW, and that BMW would tell the tech, how to proceed from there. In my instance, I am not sure what has allowed the shift assist to start working. I hate to say it, but I think it was more then likely, the negative cable at the battery. That is why, I find it would be crazy, that the tech at my dealer, wouldn't have checked that before replacing the SA assembly. I think sometimes we will overlook something, that may be right in front of us, to look for other causes. I had called 6 larger dealers, on the east coast, hoping to find one, that had experienced the issue...some had complaints, about the same issue. But, none of them, had found a fix.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Anyone who has sent their ECU to Bren, is gonna be familiar with the 2 connectors. My understanding is that there is a pin (possibly several) inside the connector, that in some instances, doesn't make contact, as it should. I was told by a dealer, that they would open a tag, with BMW, and that BMW would tell the tech, how to proceed from there. In my instance, I am not sure what has allowed the shift assist to start working. I hate to say it, but I think it was more then likely, the negative cable at the battery. That is why, I find it would be crazy, that the tech at my dealer, wouldn't have checked that before replacing the SA assembly. I think sometimes we will overlook something, that may be right in front of us, to look for other causes. I had called 6 larger dealers, on the east coast, hoping to find one, that had experienced the issue...some had complaints, about the same issue. But, none of them, had found a fix.
When I pulled my ECU back in March to send to Bren, I noticed my negative battery terminal wasn’t tight either, although I wasn’t having shift assist issues. Also, I’m wondering if in the process of pulling and reinstalling the ECU it may have “cleaned” the pins to some extent.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wanted to put this out there......

If the fix for the Shift Assist failure is indeed the ECU connector, and it has to be taken out and the pins cleaned, then I think everyone should refer to it as the......

NINTENDO FIX

Effectively taking out the ECU , blowing on it and putting it back!

:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Also, in talking with the dealership, they eluded that there might be an update that is meant to address the common shift assist failures and the shift sensor voltage codes......
He wasn't sure, but he thought it would be a software update..... but it could end up being the NINTENDO FIX....
Hopefully that will be it...because I have not seen a thread yet where the issue was fixed in the actual Shift Assist unit or by replacing it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Like I posted above, I have now ridden over 200 miles and will ride 100+ miles tomorrow, and my shift assist has worked as designed. If it was a connector issue, or a slightly loose negative terminal at the battery, I dont know. I do know that the shift assist replacement, was not the fix.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wanted to put this out there......

If the fix for the Shift Assist failure is indeed the ECU connector, and it has to be taken out and the pins cleaned, then I think everyone should refer to it as the......

NINTENDO FIX

Effectively taking out the ECU , blowing on it and putting it back!

/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Nintendo fix? I must be too old, to know about that one. But, if it worked on the Nintendo, then maybe that's it..lol

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Still donno which connector y'all are talking about....?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
They are talking about the 2 connectors that go directly on the ECU.
...and once again I am asking exactly where is the ECU and the plugs... Have never had the need to know where it is so it could be right under my nose and I'd never know it... :nerd:

81 - 100 of 120 Posts