BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never heard of them has anybody ran them before. I guess they’ve been around for 70 years some guys On another forum say that’s all they’ll buy probably because of customer service if you have an issue with the tire They will send you another one

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Shinko tires are generally cheaper than other major tire brands.

Some people see that as an advantage, and some see it as a disadvantage...

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I have always felt that Shinko would give your more mileage, but at a severe cost for grip. However a lot of people use them religiously because they can be had for 1/2 to 2/3 the price of most name brands. So it would all depend on your application and riding style (like any other tire choice). The only true way to figure out if they are a fit, is to buy a set and try them out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
They are a top tire in the dual sport world search YouTube for nine has a video on the dual sport one.

Don't have any info on the road only version .

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I had Skinko's on my GSA but I wouldn't put em on my K16GT even if they made one that was compatible, which they don't.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Shinko are a quality tire company. As mentioned above, they took over the former Yokohama brand. Currently, their design house is in Japan and manufacturing takes place in South Korea. I’ve used them on a Super Tenere as well as a first-gen Concours with satisfactory results. They put tires a a good low-cost alternative in the marketplace.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure Jonny they don’t make one for your KGT aren’t you running a 120 70 17 and a 195 55 17 ? I’m pretty sure those are the sizes on my bike and they make those sizes in a couple different types of tire but like I said I’m only going by what other people have said about them they’ve even stretched it out as far as to say they grip very well but all have said customer service is outstanding just wondering

·
Registered
667 Posts
Had a Raven 009 that came on the rear wheel of a new-to-me Trophy SE. It had a very flat cross section, which gave a rather large and wide contact patch, which in turn might have helped with overall mileage. It had no bad characteristics and no problem keeping up with my spirited pace for road riding. Not a tire I'd buy, mostly because Bridgestone's T30/31 are IMO a better tire and, with the rebate Bridgestone seem to have once a year, come out as inexpensive as the Shinkos. However, I'd have no problem riding on them if they happen to be on my bike.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Are you sure Jonny they don’t make one for your KGT aren’t you running a 120 70 17 and a 195 55 17 ? I’m pretty sure those are the sizes on my bike and they make those sizes in a couple different types of tire but like I said I’m only going by what other people have said about them they’ve even stretched it out as far as to say they grip very well but all have said customer service is outstanding just wondering
They do make the proper sizes but I don't believe they make the proper load rating. I've never heard of anyone installing them on a K16 bike. Remember, our bikes like a very stiff sidewall due to the weight and speed rating. Not too many sport bikes weigh 900lbs loaded!

·
Registered
488 Posts
They do make the proper sizes but I don't believe they make the proper load rating. I've never heard of anyone installing them on a K16 bike.
I've been running Raven's on my B, yes I know they don't have the load rating or even the "proper" aspect ratio. I'm on my second 190/50/17; liked it for the last 8,000 miles, and will replace it with the same $98 tire - I live on the edge, mount my own tires, often experiment with them, and know what I like. :smile:

I do like the RS3 for the front better than the Shinko Raven so my preference will even be differing brands front and rear.

Tom

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I have them on my Suzuki Boulevard...I've known the tire to wear quick but offer good stick to the road. And yes...lower price point but good quality for the money....lets call it "value"

Wouldn't put them on my K1600 though...for the load ratings as others have said. Don't even think they would be an option.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Like Jonnybow says: watch the load rating on those tires. It is typically lower than other tires of the same size. I'd be leery of using them on a heavy or high horsepower bike.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Like Jonnybow says: watch the load rating on those tires. It is typically lower than other tires of the same size. I'd be leery of using them on a heavy or high horsepower bike.
No need to be "leery" if you can do simple math and your rider/ passenger weight isn't adding as substantial amount as the average XXXL load. >:)

Both RS3 and PR4 GT 180 tires are rated at 73W, same as Shinko 180 Ravens, seems only the 190's are 75W load rated where the Shinko is 73W.

There are heavy powerful bikes with un-leery much heavier human loading on their 75W rated tires than little old me with no passenger on 73W tires. :grin:

Tom

·
Registered
667 Posts
"GT" tires don't have higher load ratings. 190/55 all have the same 75w load rating, GT or not. The additional ply layers means the GT tires don't flex as much under heavy load. That also means they are not as compliant for the "lighter" riders who ride solo with little or no luggage load. There is no free lunch, it is a compromise one way or another. Pick the tire according to your application.

The 190/50's 73W doesn't mean much difference in the real world. Kawi C14 is almost as heavy as the K16, and has 190/50 for stock rear tire size.

The 190/50 009 Raven I had on the Trophy SE worked quite well, as I ride 100% solo and 98% with a lightly loaded top case only. Triumph's stock size is 190/55.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just ask yourself one question. Is my life worth saving a couple hundred bucks on tires. You get what you pay for.
I was thinking the same thing while reading through this thread. We spend a lot of money to buy probably the highest performing sport/touring bike on the planet. If you get the bike "for purpose", you're spending a lot of time stressing the bike in twisties, and driving 80+ mph for hours under load. I'm not interested in any tire compromise. Personally, I want the best tires available (GT rated) to help keep me alive.

But to each his own......

1 - 20 of 58 Posts