BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would freight cost for transporting a K48 say from NY to Rome and back?

Or would it be cheaper to rent over there? My experience to rent a R1200GS A is about $1,000/week in Phoenix, AZ.

·
Administrator
17,110 Posts
When I was going to move to Libya I prepared to send my bike to Europe with a German company that sends containers from Florida to Frankfurt on a regular basis. Far less expensive than you expect. Tons of rules and paperwork to prove ownership. Insurance issues too.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,902 Posts
I rented a 1600GT in Germany last October for $560 or so for one week if that helps

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
That's less than I paid to rent a K1300GT back in '10. Where did you rent from?

Duane

Reactions: defenderharris

·
Mr.Fix It
6,902 Posts
@hunzee, thanks, that's $800 a week plus. I'm trying to find out where in Germany you can rent a K1600GT for $560 per week.

Duane

·
Registered
548 Posts
When I was going to move to Libya I prepared to send my bike to Europe with a German company that sends containers from Florida to Frankfurt on a regular basis. Far less expensive than you expect. Tons of rules and paperwork to prove ownership. Insurance issues too.
I just sent my Goldwing to Frankfurt from Orlando using Stefan Knopf of Knopf Tours. He also sends containers from California as well. The cost for me was about $1,400 US. I had to give him my title, registration (not necessary but I did), a power of attorney, and a doctors letter saying I am able to pilot a motorcycle (because I am over 65). I then had to buy 30 days of insurance (green card) for around $200 US. I also bought roadside assistance which isn't necessary but I thought advisable. I plan to be there for about a month beginning 5/21. The alternative to that was renting for about double the cost for a bike that I was not familiar with.

I looked into Air Canada, but their rates had not been published yet for summer. They were asking $3,100 at the time and while they said they usually have significantly reduced rates for summer, those rates were not going to be published until May. I could not wait that long.

There is another option if you are interested in going to Ireland. That is Martin (Wheatwacker) at Motofeirmo. Buy a bike, ride it around, sell it back. That's what my buddy is doing. He just bought a Varadero (Honda) and will use it while we ride, then sell it back when he's done. No known cost at this point, because the sales price is unknown.

I can't really RECOMMEND either right now, because we are still in the process of making this happen. It's just a couple of alternatives to getting a bike in Europe.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,902 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
...From Milan the rental is $1500 US per week...

I think thats actually for two weeks and includes 3 cases.

14 days at 1260 euros = about $1,500 so around $750 a week

·
Registered
397 Posts

Last year we rented a K1600 GTL for 18 days from HP Motorrad in Milan for 1690 euro, 4800 km at .3 euro/km came to another 1440 euro, for a total of 3130 euro, ~ $3700.00 USD. The unlimited mileage option was 3150 euro, but I wanted to owe them money at the end of the trip.

While overall our experience with HP Motorrad was positive, if you rent from them (or anyone) make sure everything is in tip-top form. The tires were worn Z8s, even though I had offered to pay for new Angle GTs, and the rear brakes were shot - who wears out rear brakes - which we didn't discover until we were in the Dolomites on a weekend. HP Motorrad reimbursed us for a new rear tire, brake pads, labor, and one day's rental (I'd rather have spent that day riding than sourcing and replacing stuff). This is where the "owe them money upon return" policy may have worked in our favor - it's much easier to get someone to reduce your bill vs actually refunding money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am planning a 3 month+ trip to europe in the spring of 19 and got a quote of about $2300 for a round trip shipment of my k1600/hannigan to ireland and home from madrid. Motorcycle Express is the company.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,902 Posts

Your price for 14 days is correct: 1260 Euros...but you haven't added the mileage of $100 US per day for 200 miles...

My quote above is from the BMW Motoradd Milan and is for 7 days; $1500 US

Duane

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I just sent my Goldwing to Frankfurt from Orlando using Stefan Knopf of Knopf Tours. He also sends containers from California as well. The cost for me was about $1,400 US. I had to give him my title, registration (not necessary but I did), a power of attorney, and a doctors letter saying I am able to pilot a motorcycle (because I am over 65). I then had to buy 30 days of insurance (green card) for around $200 US. I also bought roadside assistance which isn't necessary but I thought advisable. I plan to be there for about a month beginning 5/21. The alternative to that was renting for about double the cost for a bike that I was not familiar with.

I looked into Air Canada, but their rates had not been published yet for summer. They were asking $3,100 at the time and while they said they usually have significantly reduced rates for summer, those rates were not going to be published until May. I could not wait that long.

There is another option if you are interested in going to Ireland. That is Martin (Wheatwacker) at Motofeirmo. Buy a bike, ride it around, sell it back. That's what my buddy is doing. He just bought a Varadero (Honda) and will use it while we ride, then sell it back when he's done. No known cost at this point, because the sales price is unknown.

I can't really RECOMMEND either right now, because we are still in the process of making this happen. It's just a couple of alternatives to getting a bike in Europe.
Joe, I obviously know this story because you just told me at lunch the other day. But I didn’t tell you then that I’m dissapointed in you. I really would have thought you would ride to the tip of Alaska, ferry it across the straights to Russia and ride it from there to Germany. >:)

Reactions: jfink

·
Registered
548 Posts
Joe, I obviously know this story because you just told me at lunch the other day. But I didn’t tell you then that I’m dissapointed in you. I really would have thought you would ride to the tip of Alaska, ferry it across the straights to Russia and ride it from there to Germany. >:)
Only IF you came with me! :)

Reactions: jjscsix
1 - 20 of 23 Posts