BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Shoei Neotec II Helmet + Cardo Freecom 4+ Duo System for myself and my wife. Since the Shoei is designed for the integrated Sena SRL System, I've spent my time so far making sure I that I can shoehorn the Cardo into the helmet. I should have done more compatibility research ahead of time, but sometimes you want what you want and take the plunge. :smile:

At this point I do have the option of installing the Cardo on my older Shoei RF 1100 hemet (cleaner install) and purchasing the integrated Sena SRL for the Neotec II. I'm not sure I need two helmets with comm systems, but I do like the hands-free functions they provide.

The reviews I've read on the Sena SRL are mostly marginal. Still, is there anyone here who could make the case for the Sena? I'd like more insight before doing any installations. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought the original Neotec, partly because I was scared off the Neotec II by the SRL reviews. I have the Sena 30 and absolutely love it. The funny thing is, the Sena 30 had marginal reviews as well.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just bought the original Neotec, partly because I was scared off the Neotec II by the SRL reviews. I have the Sena 30 and absolutely love it. The funny thing is, the Sena 30 had marginal reviews as well.
Yea, sometimes 'reviews' are head scratchers based on what we personally experience. In the case of the SRL, the most positive aspect mentioned is usually that it's a reliable communicator with a passenger. Ratings on volume, sound quality (especially for audio) and battery life overall aren't great. For a unit that lists for $300, there should be more of a wow factor. Just as annoying is that Shoei seemed to go out of their way with the Neotec II design to make installing other communicators difficult. If I didn't have a Shoei head, I'd probably look elsewhere for a modular helmet.

I'm hoping that some of the folks here might have a different take to consider.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
I've had the Shoei Neotec 2 with the Sena unit built in for about a year and love it. I do ride with my brother and my son who both have a Sena unit and it connects and works well with both. However most of my riding is alone and just listening to music. The battery has lasted all day on my long rides but I understand you can't charge and use it at the same time while riding

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had the Shoei Neotec 2 with the Sena unit built in for about a year and love it. I do ride with my brother and my son who both have a Sena unit and it connects and works well with both. However most of my riding is alone and just listening to music. The battery has lasted all day on my long rides but I understand you can't charge and use it at the same time while riding
How is the audio quality for your music? One of the reasons I went for the F4+ with JBL was that reviews consistently state the sound and volume control is phenomenal relative to most other systems. I promised my wife good music quality and there will be a huge penalty if I don't deliver. :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
How is the audio quality for your music? One of the reasons I went for the F4+ with JBL was that reviews consistently state the sound and volume control is phenomenal relative to most other systems. I promised my wife good music quality and there will be a huge penalty if I don't deliver. :wink:
I can't help with that. It sounds fine to me but I'm old and my wife says I'm hard of hearing. I'm thinking I hear fine and after 38 years just don't want to listen to her anymore.:)

Reactions: 1dragon

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yea, sometimes 'reviews' are head scratchers based on what we personally experience. In the case of the SRL, the most positive aspect mentioned is usually that it's a reliable communicator with a passenger. Ratings on volume, sound quality (especially for audio) and battery life overall aren't great. For a unit that lists for $300, there should be more of a wow factor. Just as annoying is that Shoei seemed to go out of their way with the Neotec II design to make installing other communicators difficult. If I didn't have a Shoei head, I'd probably look elsewhere for a modular helmet.

I'm hoping that some of the folks here might have a different take to consider.
I have the Neotech II with the 20s mounted. At least mounting the 20s to the Neotech was as easy as it was with my old Scorpion helmet. My buddy and riding partner has the SRL and the Neotech II and loves it. I think his old comms was the plain 20 and he said the sound was horrible with that. He states the SRL has much better audio without the need to replace speakers like he did with the 20. If your happy with the audio from the 20S then I think you'll find the SRL audio fine. The speech commands are very nice to have.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the Neotech II with the 20s mounted. At least mounting the 20s to the Neotech was as easy as it was with my old Scorpion helmet. My buddy and riding partner has the SRL and the Neotech II and loves it. I think his old comms was the plain 20 and he said the sound was horrible with that. He states the SRL has much better audio without the need to replace speakers like he did with the 20. If your happy with the audio from the 20S then I think you'll find the SRL audio fine. The speech commands are very nice to have.
I've never owned a Sena. I'm coming from an older Cardo Scala Rider.

How does your 20s mount to your Neotec II? Are you able to use a clip? For the Cardo F4+, I'm going to have to use the adhesive pad to connect the unit to the helmet. Not a deal breaker, but I'd prefer the clip. Also, is your unit a 20s or 20s Evo?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, you can put any Cardo system on the Neotec II. If you purchase an additional speaker/mount kit you can move the unit from helmet to helmet. The Sena SRL is integrated into the helmet, which means you must bring the entire helmet in to be charged, plus you can't move it from helmet to helmet. In addition the SRL is "hard-wired" meaning individual components cannot be easily changed (mics, speakers). If you desire, you can upgrade the stock 40mm JBL speakers on the Freecom 4+ to the 45mm JBL speakers.

·
Registered
356 Posts

How does your 20s mount to your Neotec II? Are you able to use a clip? For the Cardo F4+, I'm going to have to use the adhesive pad to connect the unit to the helmet. Not a deal breaker, but I'd prefer the clip. Also, is your unit a 20s or 20s Evo?

Yes, you can use the clip for the Cardo on the Shoei Neotec II.....

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here ya go...
How difficult was it for you to get the clip shoved in behind the plate for the Sena? I just saw a guy on the HDforums do the same thing.

I tried with the F4+ clip, and I couldn't get it in more than half way. Best I can tell from pictures is that the F4+ clip is a little wider than the PB clip. I called Cardo support, and they said don't force it and instead, use the adhesive pad.

Yours looks good!

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I've got my Cardo mounted in the same sport as B407driver# and have ridden a few thousand miles with it there. It was not difficult to install and has worked well.

Some have used the adhesive mounts for the Cardo instead of the clamp. Though many have good success with the adhesive mounts I prefer the clamp as it feels more secure to me but both the Cardo clamp and Cardo adhesive mounts have been used on these helmets so you've got a couple of options which may work for you.

Hope you can make it work where you can keep both the helmet you like and the communication system you like.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got my Cardo mounted in the same sport as B407driver# and have ridden a few thousand miles with it there. It was not difficult to install and has worked well.

Some have used the adhesive mounts for the Cardo instead of the clamp. Though many have good success with the adhesive mounts I prefer the clamp as it feels more secure to me but both the Cardo clamp and Cardo adhesive mounts have been used on these helmets so you've got a couple of options which may work for you.

Hope you can make it work where you can keep both the helmet you like and the communication system you like.
Thanks for the input and confirmation.

If I can use the clamp on the PB, I'm tempted to return the F4+, since I have to use the adhesive pad for that model.

Just to be sure, did you have any problem pushing in the PB mount? It's a narrow space and I don't want to chance damaging the helmet.

·
Registered
356 Posts
How difficult was it for you to get the clip shoved in behind the plate for the Sena? I just saw a guy on the HDforums do the same thing.

I tried with the F4+ clip, and I couldn't get it in more than half way. Best I can tell from pictures is that the F4+ clip is a little wider than the PB clip. I called Cardo support, and they said don't force it and instead, use the adhesive pad.

Yours looks good!

The newer Cardo units seem to have some tacky rubber on the inside of the clip. You can use a bit of silicone lube or remove the rubber altogether to make it easier to put on. Spread the clip out a bit first also. Take out the cheekpads and unsnap the back of the top liner first....it makes it easier to see and work on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
have a Neotec II and SRL, I like it. audio quality is OK, nothing great. But a a communicator it works fine, range is less than expected, I could see my buddy and loose link.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Mine is the 20S not the evo. Yes I have it mounted with the clip and it was pretty easy as I recall. I went from an older Scala Q3 (think that's what it was) and the Sena was a nice upgrade at the time. From what it seems now is Cardo is a step up again from Sena, but the Sena works good for me and all my buddies have the Sena. Good luck you'll get it all sorted out.

Reactions: JohnS1955

·
Registered
115 Posts
I recently purchased a Shoei Neotec II Helmet + Cardo Freecom 4+ Duo System for myself and my wife. Since the Shoei is designed for the integrated Sena SRL System, I've spent my time so far making sure I that I can shoehorn the Cardo into the helmet. I should have done more compatibility research ahead of time, but sometimes you want what you want and take the plunge. :smile:

At this point I do have the option of installing the Cardo on my older Shoei RF 1100 hemet (cleaner install) and purchasing the integrated Sena SRL for the Neotec II. I'm not sure I need two helmets with comm systems, but I do like the hands-free functions they provide.

The reviews I've read on the Sena SRL are mostly marginal. Still, is there anyone here who could make the case for the Sena? I'd like more insight before doing any installations. Thanks.
I have the Sena SRL in my Shoe Neotec II. Zero complaints.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Thanks for the input and confirmation.

If I can use the clamp on the PB, I'm tempted to return the F4+, since I have to use the adhesive pad for that model.

Just to be sure, did you have any problem pushing in the PB mount? It's a narrow space and I don't want to chance damaging the helmet.

PackTalk Bold clamp mount is what I'm using and it works well for me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to everyone for input.....

I decided to just keep the Cardo Freecom 4+ (F4+), even though it's not ideal for the Shoei Neotec II helmet. I had to use the adhesive pad, but it seems to be rock solid, and it did give me more flexibility in placement. The only real challenge I had installing the F4+ was sticking down the intercom boom. There is really only one tight spot where it can be placed, but it worked out.

As far as operation, so far so good. The music quality through the JBL speakers is beyond expectations. The voice command system seems to work as advertised. As far as volume, I'd blow my eardrums out if I tried to max it. I could listen to music clearly at 90 mph -- I didn't attempt to take speed further.

After playing around with the Bluetooth connectivity recommended in the Cardo manual, I tried the Bluetooth connect order described in the Nav VI documentation. I like how everything (Media/Phone) routes through the Nav VI, so I think I'm going to stick with it. I need to play with it some more, but again, so far so good.

In any case, thanks again for the help.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts