BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought new Shoes Neotech II helmets - one for my wife and one for me. Installed Sena 50 communicators in both. Tested them briefly and liked the results. The setup was fair easier than I anticipated.

I liked them until, that is, I tried to put the helmets away in the Grand America top case/trunk.

The top case won't latch because the Sena mounting piece juts below the bottom of the helmet, thereby increasing the height to the top of the helmet. I wear a large Shoes and I think it alone is causing the top case obstruction; my wife's small size helmet is just small enough to not be an issue.

Now I'm looking for a secure solution for storing the helmets when we're not riding. I just can't get comfortable with leaving the helmets out, especially now with the Sena hardware exposed.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
I put my Neotech (I not II), one in each saddlebag. I'm on a GT though and those bags might be deeper then the sleek B/GA. There are several options like cables and locking carabiners. You might try the search bar above for locking helmets or securing helmets, etc.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put my Neotech (I not II), one in each saddlebag. I'm on a GT though and those bags might be deeper then the sleek B/GA.
You hit that mail on the head: the saddlebags aren't deep enough and the top case isn't tall enough on the GA.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I remove the Sena units and lock them in the top case. I hang both helmets on the lifted armrests and place the strap ends in the top case, then close the lid and lock. If someone really wants my 5 yr old helmet, they have to cut the strap to get at it (yes I know guys, I should be replacing my old helmet).

My riding buddy bought the bar-end locks that lock to the D-Rings. Maybe a bit more secure than my method, but if someone wants the helmets they will get them.

Finally, I agree with the vast majority on this forum, I would have given up some "style" on the Grand America top case, for more space that could hold two helmets.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Upside Down
1,629 Posts
I remove the Sena units and lock them in the top case. I hang both helmets on the lifted armrests and place the strap ends in the top case, then close the lid and lock. If someone really wants my 5 yr old helmet, they have to cut the strap to get at it (yes I know guys, I should be replacing my old helmet).

My riding buddy bought the bar-end locks that lock to the D-Rings. Maybe a bit more secure than my method, but if someone wants the helmets they will get them.

Finally, I agree with the vast majority on this forum, I would have given up some "style" on the Grand America top case, for more space that could hold two helmets.
Exactly what I would have tried, but not having the Sena I was not sure they were similar to my PackTalk Bold and able to remover the coms to then fit into the case. I don't have an issue with the GTL as the luggage storage is larger than the GA or baggers. I have a new Shoei Neotech 11 with the Packtalk as I hated the Sena after using them with the poll Schuberth C4 integrated system. Although the advantage was that they were integrated into the helmets as with the new Shoei if you wanted that, but it is still a Sena system and I prefer the Packtalk with the better speakers. Since buying the Packtalk it worked so much easier, did all I needed with the only downfall being it sits on the outside of the helmet, but I can live with that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What about trying a PacSafe? I have two that I use with SWMBO on tour. One bag will take a full set of kit and its then locked to the bike. Waterproof, secure, easy to store on the bike when not being used.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Release the chin bar latch and the chin bar will pivot up about a half inch and the top of the helmet comes down that amount. I wear an XL Shoei Neotech II and this just allows the top box to close on my GTL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts