BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. I joined because I've shopping for a bike and looking at the K1600GTL.
I've looked the selection on Cycle Trader. I've also looked at the "For Sale" section here.

I'm not real familiar with the bike and have a couple of questions:

First - Some of the posting of bikes for sale on this forum had comments/replies that stated something like -nice bike but the price is a bit high for anyone shopping on this site. It appeared those prices were lower or at least no higher than similar bikes on Cycle Trader. I know prices will vary based on trim/age/mileage/condition, but can anyone offer advice on how much these bikes would normally sell for?

Second - Are there specific things I should look for, be aware of, or avoid? Are there some model/years that are more or less desirable than others?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Check out Kelley Blue Book as a reference on prices. If your budget allows, get the latest model year that you can. As for everything else, there is no Cliff's Notes version of this website that I know of.

·
Registered
589 Posts
New member here. I joined because I've shopping for a bike and looking at the K1600GTL.
I've looked the selection on Cycle Trader. I've also looked at the "For Sale" section here.

I'm not real familiar with the bike and have a couple of questions:

First - Some of the posting of bikes for sale on this forum had comments/replies that stated something like -nice bike but the price is a bit high for anyone shopping on this site. It appeared those prices were lower or at least no higher than similar bikes on Cycle Trader. I know prices will vary based on trim/age/mileage/condition, but can anyone offer advice on how much these bikes would normally sell for?

Second - Are there specific things I should look for, be aware of, or avoid? Are there some model/years that are more or less desirable than others?
Most bikes on cycletrader are from dealers. Because they offer financing, they can ask for a higher price. And people think that if the bike comes from a dealer, it must be ok.

Buy a 2015, and you're paying half price of a new bike, without transmission concerns, or any other stuff that happens to people. Buy a bike with some miles on it, like 10K minimum, 60K max. There are plenty of higher mileage bikes, but their owners hold on to the good ones, and get rid of the problem ones. There are problem k1600's around, of all years, except 2015. The bike is phenomenal, worth the risk, and it can be repaired, all years have replacement parts available.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been shopping, and recently bought. I find KBB’s listed prices to be well out of line on the high side. Maybe they’re useful to see what a dealer is likely to ask or something, but asking price isn’t sales price, and dealers often only talk to people about payment amount, not selling price.

Cycle Trader’s search tools are very good.

Craigslist is also a great option. It takes a lot more work searching there, but sometimes there are real gems there.

There quite a few K16s at dealers in colder areas of the country that would like to sell some bikes right now, especially as everything is now another model year older (or will be in a month or so).

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Eje,

The used bike market is pretty nuts right now. Since new inventory is low and likely to get lower all the way through summer of 2022, used bike prices have been going up.

As a result, KBB and NADA prices, which are usually high, seem a little low right now. Use CycleTrader's "Value My Ride" feature to get an average ASKING price. It might surprise you.

I just bought a 2016 K1600 GT with low miles from a dealer for $17,500, and I was grateful to get it. Although it had brand new quality tires, had just had a full service, and was in perfect condition, a year ago that bike would have cost me less than $15,000.

Expect to pay more than you want to, probably even more than that next Spring, and figure that if you try to sell it a couple of years down the road you'll lose more money than usual because by then prices might be back to normal.

But at least you'll get to ride it between now and then.

Good luck,

Rick

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
You can also go to Ebay, enter the information about the year, make & model you are looking for, then select "sold items" and that will show you what the bikes actually sold for. Keep in mind that KBB and NADA typically list dealer asking prices for used bikes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
KBB also shows trade-in values, not just the retail used prices. Knowing what dealers likely paid for the trade-in, would give you another data point to start your negotiations.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You have to be careful shopping for a used K1600. Many are legit sales where the owner is just ready to move on. But others unfortunately aren't. Read enough posts here, and you hear the accounts of too many disgruntled owners who have serious problems and sell to unsuspecting buyers. They start experiencing oil consumption, transmission issues and whatever that they don't want to deal with, and decide to part ways with the bike. The solution? Make it somebody else's headache.

The only fool proof solution is to find a bike with OEM or Extended Warranty still left. No matter the size of your Crocodile tears, BMW won't have mercy on you if the bike is out of warranty. That's just a fact. Unless you're OK with the possibility of dumping up to $10,000+ in repairs, even if the chances are small, run from it.

As far as model years, there is no such thing as a perfect year -- 2015 or otherwise. The later bikes (2017+) have some additional goodies like Shift Assist Pro and Reverse. The earlier bikes have slightly better throttle response, but all models will throw you back into your seat. You have to decide what combination of features are more important to you.

Again, I would mostly encourage you to protect yourself. There are too many scumbags out there who will happily pass off their problem K1600 to you in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John,
****! oil consumption, transmission issues. Are there lots of issues with these bikes, and how common are they? Is there a way to spot the problems?
Right now I'm looking at a couple, both are 2018 with less than 25K miles.
I recently sold a K1200LT. The one BIG issue with those was the final drive failing at @60K miles. If you got one that had rebuilt you were good forever.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
John,
****! oil consumption, transmission issues. Are there lots of issues with these bikes, and how common are they? Is there a way to spot the problems?
Right now I'm looking at a couple, both are 2018 with less than 25K miles.
I recently sold a K1200LT. The one BIG issue with those was the final drive failing at @60K miles. If you got one that had rebuilt you were good forever.
How common? I believe not as common as one hears on an Internet forum. I ride with a lot of other K16 owners, and most have had few problems.

Still, I bought a used 2018 GTL with 1200 miles, and ended up getting the engine replaced due to excessive oil consumption. Thankfully, under warranty. Soon after, the Starter Clutch started acting up, which was also replaced under warranty. The bike has been trouble free in the 20,000 miles since.

I also had a K1200LT that developed a final drive problem. The ABS also started throwing faults, which required replacing the ABS unit to the tune of $4,000. Unfortunately, I also suffered death by a thousand cuts paying to fix all kinds of additional issues. I loved the bike, but I got to the point where it didn't make financial sense to keep it.

I don't know of a crystal ball that roots out a bike with ticking time bombs. Everything can look legit, and then fall apart soon after taking ownership. That's why I'm suggesting that if it's at all possible, buy a used bike with some warranty remaining so you can shake it out. Chances are that a bike out of warranty will probably be OK. Only you can answer if you can handle the possibly expensive repairs for one that's not.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Like anything else in life, you will always run across some bad sellers and poorly assembled bikes. Last spring I bought a 2014 GTL with 7100 miles on it and I have had zero issues with it. I did have the fuel pump replaced due to a factory recall, but other than that it has been rock solid and trouble-free. As far as oil consumption is concerned, it hasn't burned a drop in the nearly 7000 miles that I have put on it since I bought it. I think that the vast majority of us have trouble-free experiences with the K bike, but if something breaks it could be expensive. For my own peace of mind, I bought an extended warranty which will give me a few years of coverage where I don't have to worry about a major event. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything before, but for the price of a single repair of something, it made sense for me.

The bottom line for me is that I would not hesitate to take the plunge again. The bike is freaking awesome and that engine! is something to behold.

Reactions: kotr

·
Registered
55 Posts
Like anything else in life, you will always run across some bad sellers and poorly assembled bikes. Last spring I bought a 2014 GTL with 7100 miles on it and I have had zero issues with it. I did have the fuel pump replaced due to a factory recall, but other than that it has been rock solid and trouble-free. As far as oil consumption is concerned, it hasn't burned a drop in the nearly 7000 miles that I have put on it since I bought it. I think that the vast majority of us have trouble-free experiences with the K bike, but if something breaks it could be expensive. For my own peace of mind, I bought an extended warranty which will give me a few years of coverage where I don't have to worry about a major event. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything before, but for the price of a single repair of something, it made sense for me.

The bottom line for me is that I would not hesitate to take the plunge again. The bike is freaking awesome and that engine! is something to behold.
2014 owner here, too. It had 17k on it when I bought it 3 years ago, and now has over 30K with no issues. I was having issues with the starter not engaging, but I started leaving the trickle charger on it all the time except for travelling and haven't had one issue since. In fact, I'm going to replace the battery this spring out an abundance of caution just because it is the original, and 8 years seems like a good time to do it....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts