BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my second K1600. My biggest gripe has been the clunky transmission. My 2015 GT has been worse than the 2012 to the point I have considered going back to the RT since I primarily ride solo.

Then along comes the DMAC SHORT THROW SHIFT KIT engineered and manufactured my Don McCallum at DMAC in Colorado.

It is hard to adequately describe how that kit has changed how I ride. Before, I was always paying attention to making clean shifts and always looking for the right combination of clutch and RPM. I also had been experiencing half shifts which were getting worse.

Long story short, the shift kit is the single best after-market product I have added to any of my bikes in the last 10 years. The shifting is still not quite butter smooth, but now each gear change is clean and I no longer have to think about it.

I have no affiliation to DMAC and have not, nor will I be compensated for my recommendation. If you are not happy with how your K16 bike shifts, then I recommend you check out the DMAC Shift kit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A question for Don. I see in our photo of the linkage, it appears you have 3 different positions that you can connect to the primary shift arm. Do those provide different shift distances? If so what are they? You mentioned 37mm (half of original) - I presume that is the middle setting?

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
A question for Don. I see in our photo of the linkage, it appears you have 3 different positions that you can connect to the primary shift arm. Do those provide different shift distances? If so what are they? You mentioned 37mm (half of original) - I presume that is the middle setting?
One of the original photos is of the prototype that I had on my GTL. The reason for the 3 different positions was to experiment with different leverages. What I discovered when experimenting was kind of an "optimal" throw that really improved the shifting while still allowing ease of finding neutral. Also, as some have mentioned on the other thread, the effort, or pressure required to shift increases with the shorter throw so that also played a factor in finding an "optimal" throw.

Hopefully that answers your question,
Don

·
Registered
203 Posts
One of the original photos is of the prototype that I had on my GTL. The reason for the 3 different positions was to experiment with different leverages. What I discovered when experimenting was kind of an "optimal" throw that really improved the shifting while still allowing ease of finding neutral. Also, as some have mentioned on the other thread, the effort, or pressure required to shift increases with the shorter throw so that also played a factor in finding an "optimal" throw.

Hopefully that answers your question,
Don
Thanks that does answer it. I see on your website the 'final' version with 2 holes, and they are described well in the install instructions. I have the later version of GTL. I'll play more with the current set up - adjustments, but there does seem to be a lot of distance in shift.
This was the picture of prototype -

·
Registered
278 Posts
BMcCleave,
Thanks for posting your observations!
I have not experienced what some call "clunky" transmission but I have been thinking about this addition to my machine.
To me it makes sense to shorten the throw to make a 'cleaner' shift.
Enjoy your ride!!

·
International Man of Mystery
4,210 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
13000 km
Short throw kit and 2018 shift assist

Gents,

i think BMW missed an opportunity to reduce the shifter throw with the new shift assist bike. Anybody in the know have an opinion on throwing a short throw kit (no pun intended) at a 2018 GTL?

TIA
VK

·
Premium Member
8,178 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
Gents,

i think BMW missed an opportunity to reduce the shifter throw with the new shift assist bike. Anybody in the know have an opinion on throwing a short throw kit (no pun intended) at a 2018 GTL?

TIA
VK
That would make the shift assist even sweeter. If anyone with a 2017/2018 could remove plastic and post a full picture (like the one on post #4) of the factory shift linkage I'm sure Don could answer the question as to whether it would fit or not.

·
4,210 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
13000 km
That would make the shift assist even sweeter. If anyone with a 2017/2018 could remove plastic and post a full picture (like the one on post #4) of the factory shift linkage I'm sure Don could answer the question as to whether it would fit or not.
Will do on Monday. Weekend is for riding. Weathers is about perfect.

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
As one of the early testers I spent 2 fun mornings at Don's shop. We tried a prototype on my 2014 GTLE and found the 2014s had a shorter throw then the earlier bikes. Then came back the next week and installed the final version. The only time I have any problems is when I am lazy and just go to coffee in my street shoes then it is hard to find neutral. While I still have the stock parts they will never go back on the bike.

·
Mr.Fix It
9,441 Posts
Still like this kit a lot. On a '12 GT you it's easier to get to neutral from 2nd vice 1st.

·
4,210 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
13000 km
Shift assist pics

here are a few pics from my 2018 GTL. The upper lever s marked GT/GTL indicating one fits all part. The reverse takes up a lot of space under the cover. Doesn't look like Don's kit would fit without changes. Any thoughts about developing a kit? Can't offer my bike, too far away........

Attachments

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
I can see some potential issues with the quick-shifter cylinder.

I'd say the first thing is to measure the total throw at the shifter pad and see if maybe BMW has improved that at all.

·
4,210 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
13000 km
I can see some potential issues with the quick-shifter cylinder.

I'd say the first thing is to measure the total throw at the shifter pad and see if maybe BMW has improved that at all.
Will do sometime tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I installed this kit on my 2012 this winter and only had a 5 mile ride just to make sure it worked(it did). Today however it was 75 and nice in middle Ohio with the day off. Wow after almost 300 miles today this kit is great! No more chunk chunk and occasionally hitting neutral now it's snap snap snap. I actually just bought the kit because I had enough time and money and figured it couldn't make it any worse. This design is good reason to learn math and geometry. Gonna be a fun summer! Many thanks to Don for investing the time on this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am on my second K1600. My biggest gripe has been the clunky transmission. My 2015 GT has been worse than the 2012 to the point I have considered going back to the RT since I primarily ride solo.

Then along comes the DMAC SHORT THROW SHIFT KIT engineered and manufactured my Don McCallum at DMAC in Colorado.

It is hard to adequately describe how that kit has changed how I ride. Before, I was always paying attention to making clean shifts and always looking for the right combination of clutch and RPM. I also had been experiencing half shifts which were getting worse.

Long story short, the shift kit is the single best after-market product I have added to any of my bikes in the last 10 years. The shifting is still not quite butter smooth, but now each gear change is clean and I no longer have to think about it.

I have no affiliation to DMAC and have not, nor will I be compensated for my recommendation. If you are not happy with how your K16 bike shifts, then I recommend you check out the DMAC Shift kit.
[/QUOTE

1 - 20 of 32 Posts