BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
This is my GTL at 3600 miles... only a few months old.

Needs more curvy road time (but I'm dragging my boots in corners, set for 2 up/sport but 1 up for dragging parts...not much left).

I know, I should be ashamed..

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
Here's mine, after a few sessions at VIR:

And my chicken strip would be even wider on the street. Don't know how you guys do it. :eek: (Now I remember why my handle is Leghorn! :D)
Cannot say I have ever shredded any tyre like yours (all credit to you that it was at VIR). Clearly need to get out more.:k16:
Even 1up, no luggage with full preload, my GTL metalwork decks out before the road reaches the tyre shoulder. Maybe time for a GT with GTL bags and seat? Well, I do like my creature comforts.
I have run with slightly lower tyre pressures, which did reduce the CS width. Made the bike squirm some, so went back to recommended pressures.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here is Z8's after about 2000 miles at Alps. Did last one 1000 more to drive off from there. Pegs prevent it to go to edge, so that annoying scraping noise is a must to listen :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Chicken Strips? I thought they were "Locomotive Rails".... when she's purring down a stretch of road approaching triple digits... motor sounding relaxed...holding smooth... ......like it's on rails...

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Leaning a bike is fun. The motion that make motorcycle riding similar to flying. Or, as pilots returning from WWII said: Poor man's flying.

A few here will whine about knee dragging to keep the bike more upright. Some will whine about the dangers of leaning the bike over, something I have experience with.

All the tired old whining aside, I like riding corners leaned over.

When talking to other riders I have a look at their tires. This is the fastest way to understand their style of riding. Chicken Strips reveal all.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Leaning a bike is fun. The motion that make motorcycle riding similar to flying. Or, as pilots returning from WWII said: Poor man's flying.

A few here will whine about knee dragging to keep the bike more upright. Some will whine about the dangers of leaning the bike over, something I have experience with.

All the tired old whining aside, I like riding corners leaned over.

When talking to other riders I have a look at their tires. This is the fastest way to understand their style of riding. Chicken Strips reveal all.
My bikes typically lose their chicken strips the first day they are on the bike, but the truth is that some tires, especially 55 series have a profile that takes a lot of leaning to wear them off. My Ducati and Ninja 1000 have no chicken strips, but my BMW does have a little. But I doubt that many folks take curves faster than I do. Most of the curves I have to work with are fast sepweepers.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts

In my defense, When I have to ride 2000 miles with a trailer to get there and back, its hard to wear it all nice and even....

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Motorcycles server so many purposes, from escape and mental recharge, exploration, shared experience with friends and loved ones, as well as pushing one's skills.

Long distance travel is one very enjoyable capability of the K1600.

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
By having a look at the wear pattern on anyone's motorcycle, and add to that the tires selected, it is easy to determine the ride style of the rider. A solid clue as to their motivation.

My experience is that many tell stories to other riders which impart something different than the reality. Probably why bike nights hold no appeal anymore. Specifically why I'm reluctant to ride with new people.

There are oh so many people who are better riders than me, and so many more who ride faster than me. I tend to ride my own ride. Others that come on my semiannual rides are encouraged to ride their own ride too. The B2B radio allows each of us to ride within our capabilities much safer.

Chicken Strips are fun to talk about. They are a solid indication of motorcycle use. If I see shredded tire edges I know that the rider is one I'll never follow in the corners. Put them up front. If I see tires squared off in the center, they are cruising or prefer interstate highways.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If I see tires squared off in the center, they are cruising or prefer interstate highways.
Or live in the middle of the Canadian Prairies where the nearest curve is a 5 hour ride away.:frown:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Simple really-Take a belt sander to the chicken strips while you have the tire elevated. :eek:

That was posted in jest but I have heard of someone doing just that so he could "look cool". Sad really.

I will say, like RL stated, ride your own ride and don't ride past your capabilities.

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The beauty of the K1600 is the capability to blast to the great riding at warp speed, then explore the twisty roads with the best of them. Try that with your Hyabusa.

Arriving at a cross continent fun riding destination it is so sad to see the center taking all the abuse of the K16 torque. The smile returns when that center wear blends with the rest of the tread area in a well worn pattern. A pattern of wear that demonstrates the capabilities BMW designed into the K1600.

There are great freeway flyers, capable of hauling a passenger and stuff. There are numerous fine cruisers for slowly parading around the country holding-up traffic. There are numerous sport bikes, which are race replicas. There are even a few sport tourers that will shadow the K1600 in the mountains.

But, BMW did a great job of creating a unique motorcycle that will haul stuff, haul a passenger comfortably and haul a$$.

Tire wear is the way I look to confirm what the rider is saying about their use.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The beauty of the K1600 is the capability to blast to the great riding at warp speed, then explore the twisty roads with the best of them. Try that with your Hyabusa.
So RL when you getting the replacement K1600? :stew:

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm in a transitional stage. The conclusion so far is that there is no substitution for motorcycling. Let's see where I'm residing next year. Location has a lot to do with picking which motorcycle is the best tool for the available roads.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Motorcycles server so many purposes, from escape and mental recharge, exploration, shared experience with friends and loved ones, as well as pushing one's skills.

Long distance travel is one very enjoyable capability of the K1600.

OK, that's not fair RL! That is a old ugly pic (of my bike, NOT CHRISTINE!), this is more current (note the new trailer):

And here is a close up of the chicken strips in the process of being scrubbed (I know Ive posted these all before):

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
There are oh so many people who are better riders than me, and so many more who ride faster than me. I tend to ride my own ride. Others that come on my semiannual rides are encouraged to ride their own ride too. The B2B radio allows each of us to ride within our capabilities much safer.
Agreed. I ride in a group that can range from 2-4, up to 10-12 bikes. After someone has ridden with us a couple times, we pretty much demand they get the B2B radio setup if they want to continue riding with us.

Typically 1 or 2 new riders will break their way in each year, and they vary greatly in riding skills. We encourage everyone to ride their own ride - don't trying to win a pissing contest and try to keep up with someone who likes (and is able to) tear up the twisties more than you.

Personally, I'm a "middle of the pack" guy. I have a couple friends that are just flat out better than me; I can't believe what they can make their GTL and LTs do (and thy have shocked many a crotch rocket that can't believe how hard is it to shake the "old fart" off their tails). They ride in front when we're together.

I have other friends that ride s-l-o-w-l-y. As in OMG, put me to sleep... :wink: That's OK - they ride in back, where we have the same sweeper on every ride (who likes to sweep, and doesn't mind a slow ride).

Point is, everyone knows their place and pace - we all have a great time, and get there alive. There have been a few bumps and bruises over the years! :wink:

B2B radio is crucial though, to warn if you want to pass (rare though, since everyone know where they fit in - we've been riding together on average 10 years), road conditions ("rock slide, beware around this curve!"), "ready to eat/pee/fuel?" etc. I have an iCom that I have cranked up to 5w, so it's very good (discontinued though :mad: ).

21 - 40 of 114 Posts