BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you do go down the cut and weld path why not take the opertunity and put a bigger foot on it. Then you solve the soft dirt problem as well?
Just My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I assure you the stock bike will fall over if the rear tire goes flat while it's on the side stand. And, yes, it's a bitch to get the bike on the center stand when the rear tire's flat.
This is not a problem unique to K1600's: most big bikes will go over if left on the side stand and the rear tyre goes flat. That's one reason I always leave the bike on its centre stand when I end a journey and the bike will be unattended overnight or longer. The downside is that if the rear tyre does go flat, you don't realise until you push it off the stand. DAMHIK...

·
Preema
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got me worried now... Anyone got a centre stand they don’t need? 😇😇

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Center Stands aren't a guarantee the bike won't fall over. I had a 750 Honda once on the center stand parked on a asphalt highway shoulder on a very hot day, it sunk evenly into the asphalt until the foot bar hit the roadway, the left side stopped and the right kept going until it fell over on the right side, the bikes on their side stands parked near mine had no issues, guessing due to their wheels supporting a lot of their weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings Hive Brain :)

Your thoughts please.... I have put an footprint expander on the B’s kickstand, necessitated by the soft tarmac and dirt roads around here. My problem is the bike sits very vertical, so vertical I actually need a slight slope to park it safely.

I hope to ‘shorten’ the kick stand by an inch or so (or replace it with a shorter one). Has anyone done this? Is there a shorter stand I can buy? Is there a better option?

(I have read the post and note that a cut I the middle is not recommended...)

😊😊💋

Donna
I use the top to a galvanized steel square electrical box for a foot plate. There is a hole to attach a piece of thin nylon cord. Put a loop in the top of the cord that fits around the left handlebar assembly so you don't for get it. With the cord, you can easily pull it up, wrap the cord around it and stow it in the lower storage box below the radio. Thin, cheap and does the job.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
1. I am careful to park where the slope of the road favors the more secure lean. Sometimes that means facing the bike in the opposite direction of how I originally pulled up to park.
2. I change the suspension to two up when 1. is not an option or is more inconvenient than moving so that the terrain gives me piece of mind.
3.. When I park on dirt and am not feeling good about the lean, I dig a small hole the size of the foot and enlarger deepe enough to give me peace of mind- usually less than an inch. I’ve done that on overnights camping (bikes can and do easily blow over when on the center stand in the wind- the side stand is far more secure than the center stand if parked correctly).
4.If a tire goes flat when you are riding, employ any of 1., 2. or 3 when you stop.
5. If I’ve parked so that I’m not concerned that it can fall over or can get pushed over by wind or a passer-by, the bike will not fall over if the tire goes flat when I am away from the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Center Stands aren't a guarantee the bike won't fall over. I had a 750 Honda once on the center stand parked on a asphalt highway shoulder on a very hot day, it sunk evenly into the asphalt until the foot bar hit the roadway, the left side stopped and the right kept going until it fell over on the right side, the bikes on their side stands parked near mine had no issues, guessing due to their wheels supporting a lot of their weight.
Bikes will tip over far more easily when on a center stand than when on a side stand. A strong wind or someone who accidentally brushes against or leans on the bike will push a center stand parked bike over more readily than one might think ad much more easily than if the bike was parked on its side stand. A little research will reveal that center stand parking other than on level ground in a secure indoor environment is not the recommended way to park a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
So Donna.. What have you decided to do about the side stand?

·
Preema
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Parked in an awkwardly shaped driveway the other day with the bike on a noticeable slope. Had to tip to quite an angle to get the stand on the ground. Took all my strength to get him back upright when it was time to leave. A shorter stand and I would have had to ask fo help.
I’m thinking that I’ll leave it and trust the compromise that it is...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can understand about shortening the side stand, but the only time I dumped my bike was on the center stand. It is horrible to get it off. Any suggestions?

·
Upside Down
2,172 Posts
Greetings Hive Brain :)

Your thoughts please.... I have put an footprint expander on the B’s kickstand, necessitated by the soft tarmac and dirt roads around here. My problem is the bike sits very vertical, so vertical I actually need a slight slope to park it safely.

I hope to ‘shorten’ the kick stand by an inch or so (or replace it with a shorter one). Has anyone done this? Is there a shorter stand I can buy? Is there a better option?

(I have read the post and note that a cut I the middle is not recommended...)

😊😊💋

Donna
I noticed the same thing after putting the Footprint expander on my bike, it seems to sit up more straighter. So where ever I can I make sure I turn the front wheel to the left and lock the steering in that direction plus as an added precaution I now leave the bike in first gear. I am not looking to shorten my side stand as there are times I park on the roadside and the camber of the road adds to the weight of the bike and lean angle. The GTL is heavy enough for my being a short arse lol. I also carry the Plastic Plate/Puck we got back in 2018 at the Wall To Wall that goes under the side stand but have to admit it is a pain getting it out and placing under the stand, More so after you are about to ride away.

Donna, if you have not got one and wish to have mine I would be happy to give it to you and post it asap. Let me know if you would like it? I don't use mine and would be happy if you could get some use from it.

·
Preema
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I noticed the same thing after putting the Footprint expander on my bike, it seems to sit up more straighter. So where ever I can I make sure I turn the front wheel to the left and lock the steering in that direction plus as an added precaution I now leave the bike in first gear. I am not looking to shorten my side stand as there are times I park on the roadside and the camber of the road adds to the weight of the bike and lean angle. The GTL is heavy enough for my being a short arse lol. I also carry the Plastic Plate/Puck we got back in 2018 at the Wall To Wall that goes under the side stand but have to admit it is a pain getting it out and placing under the stand, More so after you are about to ride away.

Donna, if you have not got one and wish to have mine I would be happy to give it to you and post it asap. Let me know if you would like it? I don't use mine and would be happy if you could get some use from it.
Geoff,
I still have that W2W puck but using it was a pain....
Reckon I’ll just keep my foot extender and park carefully

·
Upside Down
2,172 Posts
Geoff,
I still have that W2W puck but using it was a pain....
Reckon I’ll just keep my foot extender and park carefully
I have kept mine on too, I have been thinking if you know an engineer or boilermaker that could design a longer stand that goes more toward the front of the bike and have enough angle similar to the Harley or Indian Road Master/Chieftains. It would work but the length may cause another issue once you lift the stand up so it folds back to where it sits. I would be talking to someone like that who can use some imagination and have the ability to design a side stand that would work. The Harly and Indians have a longer reach stand and slight bend that would allow the bike to lean over far enough.The only problem I can see is once you fold it alway to get it to sit without too much of an issue.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,480 Posts
Thanks, but I reckon I could weld one up to look better than that. Paint does not hide all evils :oops:
Well, you’ll note they only recommend it if you’ve bought their badazz, all-caps SLAM kit, on which the first two letters are likely to mean “Super Lowered,” which if literal, might as well be a delete kit, unless it comes with an air suspension like Bike Week H-Ds.

But of note here is one word in Duane’s post, which may be the single most important: “GOOD” welder. A good one can make the weld the strongest part of the stand, without unduly weakening either side of the weld, and even make the weld “pretty” in the process, but you MUST get a good one.

All that said, you’re 100% correct that it’s all a compromise, based on situation, and there is no truly perfect solution if something goes wrong.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Preema
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, you’ll note they only recommend it if you’ve bought their badazz, all-caps SLAM kit, on which the first two letters are likely to mean “Super Lowered,” which if literal, might as well be a delete kit, unless it comes with an air suspension like Bike Week H-Ds.

But of note here is one word in Duane’s post, which may be the single most important: “GOOD” welder. A good one can make the weld the strongest part of the stand, without unduly weakening either side of the weld, and even make the weld “pretty” in the process, but you MUST get a good one.

All that said, you’re 100% correct that it’s all a compromise, based on situation, and there is no truly perfect solution if something goes wrong.
Straight into the assumption that I’m not a good welder.......

You're absolutely correct, tried it once and I'm useless :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
A question on the foot expander / footprint for the K1600s. Some of the websites for the after market products show exclusively for GT and GTL. Is the actual foot print the same for the Bagger / Grand America or is it different. If I choose to go that route I want to ensure I order the right part.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I put on a foot print expander a long time ago and it only adds a tiny bit to the length of the side stand. It does seem to make the bike more stable. The only problem I've ever had with the sie stand is parking on the side of most highways or interstate because of the slop of the road. It forces the bike to stand up too straight and has never felt safe. The only solution is to turn the bike the opposite way and face traffic. Large trucks passing can still probably blow the bike over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a K1600B GA. I read that a couple riders cut 1/2 off the side stand and another a 3/4. Anyone else tried a cut and did anyone document the percent of angle it dropped? Thinking maybe 5/8s... but it would be nice to have other feedback.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts