BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are thinking about getting a Skene controller for a 1600, do not get the one that activates the brake lights when you slow down. It will not work because the 1600 is so heavy that without applying the brakes it doesn't decelerate quickly enough to activate. I have discussed it with Skene and it just won't work. However it does activate the flashers if you crash or just drop the bike.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
KBiK
1,552 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I have that very Skene controller. I know the brake lights work during a static test, but I'm not flexible or contortionist enough to see them during an active deceleration.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have that very Skene controller. I know the brake lights work during a static test, but I'm not flexible or contortionist enough to see them during an active deceleration.
At Skene techs suggestion I tapped into the brake light wire and temporarily mounted an LED on the dash so I could see when the brake light activated. The Skene module flashes the lights when the brakes are applied but not when decelerating.

·
Outta This World
1,920 Posts
The skene controller doesn't know it is on a K1600 or about the weight of the bike, it only knows about braking forces. They have instructions for mounting it on a goldwing and your K1600 can out brake a goldwing so the whole 'heavy bike' thing doesn't make sense. From reading their instructions it does sound like it could be sensitive to placement and orientation so its worth playing with both, you have to keep the direction forward (the arrow on the controller) but placement on the bike could make a difference.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
If you are thinking about getting a Skene controller for a 1600, do not get the one that activates the brake lights when you slow down. It will not work because the 1600 is so heavy that without applying the brakes it doesn't decelerate quickly enough to activate. I have discussed it with Skene and it just won't work. However it does activate the flashers if you crash or just drop the bike.

I have to agree.......
My brake lights do activate when braking, but if you simply let off the gas (decelerating), the lights don't activate - which there suppose to.
I asked Skene about this at one of the rallys and was advise to adjust the "sensitive."
It hasn't worked.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to agree.......
My brake lights do activate when braking, but if you simply let off the gas (decelerating), the lights don't activate - which there suppose to.
I asked Skene about this at one of the rallys and was advise to adjust the "sensitive."
It hasn't worked.
Same thing here. I talked with a Skene tech several times. We tried everything. Increase sensitivity to maximum and mounted it in 4 different places making sure it faced forward. Since it would activate when the bike was laying on its side (like if you dropped it) he said it was working properly. He said the bike just didn't decelerate quickly enough, probably due to inertia because of its weight.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Same thing here. I talked with a Skene tech several times. We tried everything. Increase sensitivity to maximum and mounted it in 4 different places making sure it faced forward. Since it would activate when the bike was laying on its side (like if you dropped it) he said it was working properly. He said the bike just didn't decelerate quickly enough, probably due to inertia because of its weight.

🤨🤨🤨

·
Outta This World
1,920 Posts

This isn't about the K-bike, it is not about how fast the bike decelerates off throttle, it is about the skene unit and how it detects deceleration. You are right, it isnt a good match for the bike but not for the reason that they are giving. Weight has little to do with it, I bet it has to do with the fact that the bike does not nose dive off throttle like some bikes so they are looking for weight transfer not actual acceleration information which they would get from any accelerometer. It sounds to me like they are using a very cheap circuit that depends on weight transfer (attitude change (pitch), which is why it has to be mounted flat and face specifically forward) to detect deceleration.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This isn't about the K-bike, it is not about how fast the bike decelerates off throttle, it is about the skene unit and how it detects deceleration. You are right, it isnt a good match for the bike but not for the reason that they are giving. Weight has little to do with it, I bet it has to do with the fact that the bike does not nose dive off throttle like some bikes so they are looking for weight transfer not actual acceleration information which they would get from any accelerometer. It sounds to me like they are using a very cheap circuit that depends on weight transfer (attitude change (pitch), which is why it has to be mounted flat and face specifically forward) to detect deceleration.
I'm not an engineer but what you are saying makes sense to me.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
My ez-can didn't work correctly till I laid it flat and put it in the same direction as the bike. Then the deceleration flashing worked properly for the Billie Brake Light.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,222 Posts
I too have had issues with the Skene decelerometer. It flashes when I brake. It flashes occasionally for no reason. I gave up.

Duane

·
Outta This World
1,920 Posts
My ez-can didn't work correctly till I laid it flat and put it in the same direction as the bike. Then the deceleration flashing worked properly for the Billie Brake Light.
Thats very interesting. I would have guessed that they are using a mix of canbus messages (wheel speed and throttle position) to detect deceleration without having to rely on the actual physical location. It actually doesn't make sense that they put in an accelerometer just for that purpose, I don't remember any other feature of the ezcan that uses it. hrmm.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats very interesting. I would have guessed that they are using a mix of canbus messages (wheel speed and throttle position) to detect deceleration without having to rely on the actual physical location. It actually doesn't make sense that they put in an accelerometer just for that purpose, I don't remember any other feature of the ezcan that uses it. hrmm.
I don't think the Skene is connected to canbus. It wires directly to battery and is tapped into brake line wire to trigger when the brakes are applied. But I may be wrong.

·
Outta This World
1,920 Posts
I don't think the Skene is connected to canbus. It wires directly to battery and is tapped into brake line wire to trigger when the brakes are applied. But I may be wrong.

My response was to @svfiat who was talking about the ez-can and the similar issues he had with it.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
This isn't about the K-bike, it is not about how fast the bike decelerates off throttle, it is about the skene unit and how it detects deceleration. You are right, it isnt a good match for the bike but not for the reason that they are giving. Weight has little to do with it, I bet it has to do with the fact that the bike does not nose dive off throttle like some bikes so they are looking for weight transfer not actual acceleration information which they would get from any accelerometer. It sounds to me like they are using a very cheap circuit that depends on weight transfer (attitude change (pitch), which is why it has to be mounted flat and face specifically forward) to detect deceleration
I doubt that or every time you went down a hill, it would trigger.

My guess is that there just isn't enough deceleration to trigger it.

I have my ezCAN set to flash on deceleration but it takes a pretty aggressive move to trigger it. Cruising at 3-4k RPM in 3rd-4th gear is not going to trigger it. It triggers in low gears at high RPMs which provide substantial engine braking. I could set it more sensitive but I really don't want flashing randomly when I'm not really slowing down much. I can make it trigger 100% of the time if I reach a certain level of engine braking (as observed by my wife following me while I was testing it).

The ezCAN likely works of data on CAN Bus rather than its own accelerometer. It would be cheaper since that would be entirely based on software and wouldn't require any extra hardware.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts

You are right....Skene is "dumb". It only connects to DC wires (power, ground, and triggers).

·
KBiK
1,552 Posts
At Skene techs suggestion I tapped into the brake light wire and temporarily mounted an LED on the dash so I could see when the brake light activated.....
Clearwater provides this mod with the Billie Brake Light. I have the LED attached to my clutch cable so I can see it but it is not annoying.

Reactions: d martin

·
Outta This World
1,920 Posts
I doubt that or every time you went down a hill, it would trigger.

My guess is that there just isn't enough deceleration to trigger it.

I have my ezCAN set to flash on deceleration but it takes a pretty aggressive move to trigger it. Cruising at 3-4k RPM in 3rd-4th gear is not going to trigger it. It triggers in low gears at high RPMs which provide substantial engine braking. I could set it more sensitive but I really don't want flashing randomly when I'm not really slowing down much. I can make it trigger 100% of the time if I reach a certain level of engine braking (as observed by my wife following me while I was testing it).

The ezCAN likely works of data on CAN Bus rather than its own accelerometer. It would be cheaper since that would be entirely based on software and wouldn't require any extra hardware.
There are no braking forces driving downhill, the change in attitude I was peaking to would be a relative change in the direction of force(s) and velocity, not gravity alone. The cheap circuit (and I have no idea what is in the skene) would only have limited inputs (axis of motion detection) and/or probably low resolution of sampling. The mems/IMU chips (the good ones) are extremely sensitive (still cheap) and if they had used one there is no way that they could not tell that the bike was decelerating even a tiny bit, no matter what the attitude of the bike relative to the road or he road relative to the horizon. If you look at camera stabilization or advanced suspension systems they are reacting within milliseconds to even minute changes in input, the circuit is cheap(ish) the motors and controllers are expensive. There are plenty of deceleration forces available on the k-bike, there just isn't enough information available or processing available 'in the skene' for them to make an accurate decision. The EZ-can has canbus and doesn't need any external information and by definition/design (it has to process canbus messages) it has a lot more information and capabilities.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
There are no braking forces driving downhill, the change in attitude I was peaking to would be a relative change in the direction of force(s) and velocity, not gravity alone.
I am suggesting that such simple circuit that looks for a change in attitude (a mercury switch, e.g.) could not tell the difference between braking on level ground which shifts the weight forward and starting down a hill. Both would introduce an apparent change in the direction of the force and velocity relative to a fixed reference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts