BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
KBiK
1,531 Posts
I am sure that Skene just use a simple accelerometer tied to the brake light circuit. The installation instructions for the new Skene controller say that it must be placed horizontal to the bike's line of direction, but not adhered to the bike. It comes in a soft foam shield. I would guess that the controller includes a one axis accelerometer that senses changes in the bike's velocity. If it sees a decrease in velocity but no brake signal, it will read that as inertial or engine braking and trigger the brake light to flash. From a physics perspective, I do not understand why Skene says the K1600 is too heavy to trigger this response.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
From a physics perspective, I do not understand why Skene says the K1600 is too heavy to trigger this response.
It may be that they think the K1600 doesn't generally have enough engine braking force relative to the weight to trigger it most of the time. It may take being at high RPMs (and low gears) only to trigger it.

·
KBiK
1,531 Posts
Force = Mass x Acceleration. I think the K1600 slows just as fast as any bike I have ridden when you down shift. So a heavier bike should actually create more Force for an accelerometer to measure.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I'm using a separate Volo Module wired to a license plate frame for deceleration and other braking, and also have a single LED wired up on the dash that I used to verify it's operation. It works on deceleration, even gradual (i.e. same-gear engine braking), and flashes faster on rapid deceleration (downshift engine braking), as well as when the brakes are activated. It's also a "dumb" component with no CANBUS integration, but it works.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Force = Mass x Acceleration. I think the K1600 slows just as fast as any bike I have ridden when you down shift. So a heavier bike should actually create more Force for an accelerometer to measure.
Not accurate. It would be the mass of the accelerometer that determines the force it detects, not the mass of the bike. The mass/force of the bike is felt on the brakes and tires' contact patch.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts