BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Preema
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Not wanting to hijack the other thread, I’ve been teaching my son to ride and slow riding is a key part. Rather than setting up cones, we are using a radio controlled car race track that has been painted in a local car park. Riding this at less than walking pace is a good way to learn especially if you pretend it’s a two lane road.

I will admit his CBR500 is a little easier than the B but it’s definitely a fun day’s learning.

And for kicks, trying it at speed is even more fun.

There are cars in the picture to provide scale

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
That is a nice practice course. Nothing like that available to me but I still practice in a parking lot. I try to stay on or within a few inches of the long parking lines. Trying to stay as straight and still as I can while riding slower than walking speed. Slipping clutch and light drag on rear brake. Yesterday I had that skill tested for a little more than an hour. My wife and I went to see the California super bloom at the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve....so did, what seemed to be, the rest of the population that didn’t go to Disneyland. Anyway, I found myself being challenged to maintain speed, balance and focus on a road that was not flat and level all the time. At times the crawl was sooo slow, I found it easier to just stop and wait till there was a couple car lengths in front of me to move up. Then I’d stop and wait again. There were times when while moving very, very slowly, I would feel myself start to balance using quick steering movements, trying to not swerve much but I felt like it was a lot more moving than I wanted. I began to self evaluate as to the best action.... stop and wait for space, move and repeat or slow balance rope type movements? Duck walking is hard to do because of the foot pedals and it looks kinda out of control if done too much...

How about you? Any similar experience/ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts