BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
This post ought to get everyone's blood pressure up a few psi. Starting yesterday, I installed newly purchased BMW forged wheels on my '16 GTL. In addition I reinstalled a pair of Michelin Road Pilot 4GT's that had about 4,400 miles on 'em. They came off of my prior 2014 GTL. As has been my practice since '2000 I installed Ride-On liquid tire balancer/sealant in both tires. I use it for the sealant/safety potential; it has saved my bacon on two separate occasions in the past. Now, get ready you naysayers, I did not use or apply any lead weights on the wheels. Took MS WhoWee! out on Interstate 40/85 and wicked her up to 90MPH-all good; NO vibrations of any sort. BTW; my stock cast aluminum wheels with Dunlop RS III's mounted and using Ride-On with no lead weights give/gave the exact same results. Only glitch thus far after a ten mile ride is the TPMS are not working. My GS-911 has been of no help. The forged wheels require the newer style sensors. Anywho, I'm happy, just need to ride some more and hopefully the sensors will establish a connection.馃槂

Premium Member
@Prince , yes and no. Yes, the same sensors on the K1600 and some other wheels. No on wheels for R1200GS type wheels. I had to purchase the GS TPMS when I switched to carbon fiber wheels.

Duane

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
BMW has used the same TPMS sensors for almost 20 years.
Well then, mine really are unique as they are definitely different from the ones that came on the bike as original equipment. Different part numbers as well.

Premium Member
@Prince , Paul, the K TPMS attaches to the inside of the wheel with a hollow bolt and has a separate inflation valve. The GS has a one piece TPMS/inflation valve.

Duane

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
What are the different part numbers Bruce?
For the cast front wheel sensor the part number is: 36-1735 rear wheel sensor is: 36-1739
Forged wheel front and rear is: 3631 8532 731
Btw; cast and forged sensors even look substantially different Paul. Hope this helps a little.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
Where did you buy the forged wheels? New from BMW or used?
Hi Jim, good to hear from you sir! Here鈥檚 what I did: Black Friday sale last November with a 20% off of retail and free shipping plus 0% six months financing via PayPal credit I purchased a new rear wheel from Morton鈥檚 BMW. Then in mid March 2020 I did the same thing again except only with a 15% discount and free shipping plus 0% financing with Morton鈥檚 BMW. Seth, parts manager, was terrific to deal with!!

If only I was smart enough to post pictures I would.

Premium Member
For the cast front wheel sensor the part number is: 36-1735 rear wheel sensor is: 36-1739
Forged wheel front and rear is: 3631 8532 731
Btw; cast and forged sensors even look substantially different Paul. Hope this helps a little.
Thanks Bruce.
It looks like the forged wheels use the same sensor as the spoked wheel bikes (GS)

I don't think they are upgraded sensors. Basically the same sensor with a different mounting style.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #15
By chance did you weigh the wheels? Any weight savings over the cast?
  • No I didn鈥檛 Mr. Hogslyr. But, I will share this: many months ago I did compare the weights of the cast and forged wheels using the BMW parts fiche. I 鈥榯hink鈥 the forged wheels are lighter but by how much I cannot remember. Lastly. and perhaps due to a lighter weight and changing tires from RS III to PR 4GT鈥檚 the front 鈥渢urn in鈥 is much quicker than before. Duane experienced the same sensation when he mounted the BTS carbon wheels on his bike a few years ago.

Premium Member
  • No I didn鈥檛 Mr. Hogslyr. But, I will share this: many months ago I did compare the weights of the cast and forged wheels using the BMW parts fiche. I 鈥榯hink鈥 the forged wheels are lighter but by how much I cannot remember. Lastly. and perhaps due to a lighter weight and changing tires from RS III to PR 4GT鈥檚 the front 鈥渢urn in鈥 is much quicker than before. Duane experienced the same sensation when he mounted the BTS carbon wheels on his bike a few years ago.
Bruce, while I'm sure it isn't as dramatic a difference as with Duane's carbon wheels, I also noted a difference when test riding between a bike with forged versus without them. No faster acceleration or the like I could tell, but the turn-in was quicker, and that was comparing a B with and B without, so I've been very happy with my GT.

Registered
Is the forged rear wheel any easier or harder to mount a tire? It's hard to tell in the picture if the "relief" is different.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
Is the forged rear wheel any easier or harder to mount a tire? It's hard to tell in the picture if the "relief" is different.
For me, having the 鈥榬ight attitude鈥 and the help of my friend, Derrick Weaver, I have no problem mounting/remounting cast or forged wheels. However, the rear Dunlop RS III will make me reconsider my hobby. It鈥檚 like a 鈥渟tiff鈥 drink-I feel different afterwards馃槢!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts