BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. doing metal fab and woodworking in the same space isnt cutting it anymore. I spend almost as much time moving tools around to use them as I do actually using them so.. I got started on the shop addition this week... or should I say my contractor got started on the addition this week. I am adding on a 20x26’ space where all the woodworking equipment will find a future home. Concrete is being poured early next week and framing to start a couple days later. I should have lumber standing up here this time next week. The window will be pulled out and turned into a double door that leads into the new shop area. my first project might be making a set of doors to put in the hole in the wall!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I added 20x24 onto my garage this summer. Moved my tools and truck into it and the rest of the 20x30 is for bikes and work bench. They couldn't line up the floor perfectly, so the GTL stays in the new section.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Darb,
You'll like the new addition. Eleven years ago I did the same thing and added a 24X24 addition onto my garage specifically for a woodworking shop. It is so nice to have that space dedicated to this hobby / small business. I will send you pictures, later, via text message of where I placed my machines. Over the years I haven't felt that I needed to rearrange the floor plan.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
That looks like fun

Just poured footings for a 40x40 shop. Will send pics as it develops. I have chosen to build it 100% myself (no subs) because I have never taken something from imagination to completion without paying someone else. I have the ability and am looking forward to the process. More to follow.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks like fun

Just poured footings for a 40x40 shop. Will send pics as it develops. I have chosen to build it 100% myself (no subs) because I have never taken something from imagination to completion without paying someone else. I have the ability and am looking forward to the process. More to follow.
I have the ability as well but being self employed and really busy right now is taking priority. Plus, I want this done asap, if I were to do it it may take a very long time to complete it and I just dont have the patience for that.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darb,
You'll like the new addition. Eleven years ago I did the same thing and added a 24X24 addition onto my garage specifically for a woodworking shop. It is so nice to have that space dedicated to this hobby / small business. I will send you pictures, later, via text message of where I placed my machines. Over the years I haven't felt that I needed to rearrange the floor plan.
I am interested in your layout, Ive got a good idea as to how I want this but I need to get the building done and place the tools in it so I know where to wire everything. A lot of it depends on my new dust vac system as well. Its remote controlled and I need to assemble it to see if the remote works theouh the wall. I would like to place the vac in the existing part of the shop so I dont have to listen to it run.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does this mean you are going to fix the cannon?
Yea repairs to the cannon still need to be made. its one of those way back burner items that need done. Its going to take some major reconstruction though. Ive considered scrapping the carriage for a more mobile set up. Problem with that is It would require me to manhandle it which I am not a big fan of. Its clear though the wood isnt holding up.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Concrete is down. Framing package and trusses arrive tomorrow. I had some hairline crack show up during the cure yesterday afternoon.. chit happens. The weather was hot and very windy. It was blowing a steady 25 with gusts to 35 all day and through the night. The wind sucked the moisture out so fast. I was hosing it down 2 hours after it was finished in hopes of keeping some moisture in it. Well.. it didnt help much that I can see. Tooling expansion joints might have helped but I didnt want tooled joints in this part of the shop so I had them saw cut the joints (4 hours after finishing it) After I epoxy paint the floor and set tools in place, I doubt you will see them anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Yea repairs to the cannon still need to be made. its one of those way back burner items that need done. Its going to take some major reconstruction though. Ive considered scrapping the carriage for a more mobile set up. Problem with that is It would require me to manhandle it which I am not a big fan of. Its clear though the wood isnt holding up.
A full-size, fully operational cannon? If so, major kudos. My wife and I have a little miniature cannon, and I'd love to even have one the size of the ones which used to be legal for the Kappa Alpha fraternity to fire off on UT's campus. It was a perfect size to play with, brass and about 3 feet long with a 2-3" bore. But not nearly as cool as the schools that have the full size, real thing fire off after every football score. Good times, good times. 😁

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A full-size, fully operational cannon? If so, major kudos. My wife and I have a little miniature cannon, and I'd love to even have one the size of the ones which used to be legal for the Kappa Alpha fraternity to fire off on UT's campus. It was a perfect size to play with, brass and about 3 feet long with a 2-3" bore. But not nearly as cool as the schools that have the full size, real thing fire off after every football score. Good times, good times. 😁
I built a .50 cal and a 1” bore cannon in high school machine trades class. However, the particular piece of artillery Paul is talking about is my bowling ball cannon. As it turns out 2oz of black powder and 15 pound bowling balls are a bit hard on the wood carriage and axles 😂 Its been repaired twice now.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I built a .50 cal and a 1” bore cannon in high school machine trades class. However, the particular piece of artillery Paul is talking about is my bowling ball cannon. As it turns out 2oz of black powder and 15 pound bowling balls are a bit hard on the wood carriage and axles 😂 Its been repaired twice now.
View attachment 142193
That thing is AWESOME! I'll bet you do have to be careful with the powder charge, though, or else the walls on it would warp or split. Point the barrel of that thing down, and do some lawn bowling!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Looks nice. I had a second detached garage many years ago and had filled it with a lot of wood working tools during my 3 1/2 years at that spot...miss it. Wish I had more room for my expanding motorcycle stuff, too. HOA tanked my plans last summer for a parking shed alongside my current garage. COVID-10 crap hasn't allowed any replanning to go forward. Love that cannon!

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That thing is AWESOME! I'll bet you do have to be careful with the powder charge, though, or else the walls on it would warp or split. Point the barrel of that thing down, and do some lawn bowling!
The chamber is so thick... nothing would split it. Once the ball starts moving the pressure drops rapidly.. pic for visual. Thats 6” cold roll steel with a 1-1/2 hole drilled 6” deep. The barrel is the bottom half of an oxygen cylinder. i would have liked a 2” hole so I could fit more powder in it 😜

It will launch a 15 pound ball around 700 yards with 2oz of powder and the barrel at 45deg. I usually take the ATV with me to retrieve the fodder. If the ball doesnt hit the rocks on landing they can be shot again.. but if they are used too much.. well.. several people here can tell you what happens.. They shotgun!

I've got an old thread here covering the build but unfortunately, I had all the photos hosted with photosuckit and they are now gone..

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
That is frackin' nuts! :LOL: 🥂 :LOL:

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks nice. I had a second detached garage many years ago and had filled it with a lot of wood working tools during my 3 1/2 years at that spot...miss it. Wish I had more room for my expanding motorcycle stuff, too. HOA tanked my plans last summer for a parking shed alongside my current garage. COVID-10 crap hasn't allowed any replanning to go forward. Love that cannon!
Nothing worse than an overbearing HOA. Fortunately we dont have..... well one old resident here in our neighborhood thinks we have one but we dont. I only had to comply with my setbacks and county building codes.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Busy day today! Lumber package was delivered at 8:30 this morning. The framing crew arrived on site about 10am. 6 hours later I had walls up and most of the sheeting on. Trusses were delivered shortly after lunch today, doesnt look like they will be on the ground for long, the guys said they were going up tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts