BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well y’all,
This is a so long for now type of post. I sold my Bagger and picked up a Wing-DCT model.
For me, the Wing rides way better on the highway. That was my only gripe with the Bagger, it was too twitchy on the highway at speed. I tried 3 screens, new tires and a different seat…just couldn’t get it to be as stable as I hoped. I was hoping BMW would do a complete overhaul of the K lineup, I’m certain I’ll get another at some point.
I will miss the engine on the Bagger, for sure!

·
Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,220 Posts
We'll keep a light on. Ride safe.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well y’all,
This is a so long for now type of post. I sold my Bagger and picked up a Wing-DCT model.
For me, the Wing rides way better on the highway. That was my only gripe with the Bagger, it was too twitchy on the highway at speed. I tried 3 screens, new tires and a different seat…just couldn’t get it to be as stable as I hoped. I was hoping BMW would do a complete overhaul of the K lineup, I’m certain I’ll get another at some point.
Congrats and enjoy !!!

·
Premium Member
2016 GTL
112 Posts
Well y’all,
There is no right or wrong when it comes to the Goldwing or K1600. It took me two Goldwings to get to the K1600, and if I could live long enough it might take me two K1600s to get back to a Goldwing. They have a great forum.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I was hoping BMW would do a complete overhaul of the K lineup
I suspect, if not underway, it's on the roadmap. It's been too long and too few real leaps forward. Good luck with the wing. My brother-in-law rides an old 1200GT and is going Wing too. Hates his local BMW dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Enjoy your GW. Two of my riding buddies have them one of which has the new style and really likes it although he can't keep up with me during mountain rides.

·
Registered
2019 BMW K1600b Grand America
403 Posts
Good luck with the Wing. I almost went that way from my 05'LT and an 08'Wing to an 18'Wing, but preferred the 19'K1600b/GA. Dealer experience is important, especially for those who utilize dealer for service. And overall fit and comfort - Wing definitely more comfortable on highway cruzing.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well y’all,
I’ve been hoping that also, but it seems BMW is now too focused on the R18 to think about anything else. I admit that I just don’t understand that bike at all. It seems to answer a question that very few were asking, but I guess we shall see how it sells. It seems to address the Harley market that is rapidly dying off - even Harley seems to have caught on to that reality.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well y’all,
I did the very same thing. Traded my Grand America for a 21 Wing tour DCT. Really liked the GA and my dealer but wanted a little more highway stability and wanted to try the DCT. I like the DCT more and more each day. Now if the GTL ever comes out with a DCT……!!!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
To be honest I blame BMW for you moving on. I looked at the GA some years ago and it comes with a 85MPH speed warning, so i stuck to the GTL.

This week I learnt that the US is no longer stuck on a 55MPH limit as it was when I lived there, in those days 70MPH was considered fast. For me the G America made sense given the 55 limit but not Europe.

But given you'all have European type speed limits nowadays, exactly who is the GA aimed at? Those people who go real slow or those people who like to see the tail of their bike pass them as they speed down the highway.

Personally, I don't want to join either of those clubs and I'd be surprised to find anyone else on a motorbike shouting me, me, me.

Good grief, the GA and now the R18, are BMW stuck inside some sort of time warp? I suspect BMW NA probably have a lot to do with these decisions, probably going to Berlin and telling the Germans how big the US market is for bike style X.

You guys need to tell BMW NA why you're leaving and what you really want and bring some sanity back to the future.

Tell them you need a bike that's grand tourer, smooth, easily cruises at 100+, agile in the corners, highly reliable, and has all latest and best technology options. Focus on that, don't deviate and grow on those strengths.

·
Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,220 Posts
@TouringTim where did you get that information? I have a 2018 Grand America and it never complains to me about my speed (or anything). ****, I routinely travel at 90+ MPH on it throughout New England. My GA is the best motorcycle I've ridden, and I do ride it hard always. There are misconceptions I think.

Now, my bike does have the Bren tune and is modified for touring comfort. I will ride with any sport or sport touring bike on the road with conviction. There is virtually no difference between the B, the GA, and the GTL forward of the panniers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
@TouringTim where did you get that information? I have a 2018 Grand America and it never complains to me about my speed (or anything). ****, I routinely travel at 90+ MPH on it throughout New England. My GA is the best motorcycle I've ridden, and I do ride it hard always. There are misconceptions I think.

Now, my bike does have the Bren tune and is modified for touring comfort. I will ride with any sport or sport touring bike on the road with conviction. There is virtually no difference between the B, the GA, and the GTL forward of the panniers.
Does the GTL have floorboards?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
When I next go to a dealer, I will take a picture, the speed warning is inside one of the panniers from memory.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the GA, without the speed warning I would change to it like a shot. It has speakers in the rear seat, looks very pretty. Running floorboards, USB charging etc.

Reactions: Brutus. and blooman

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
When I next go to a dealer, I will take a picture, the speed warning is inside one of the panniers from memory.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the GA, without the speed warning I would change to it like a shot. It has speakers in the rear seat, looks very pretty. Running floorboards etc.
I just downloaded the latest manuals for the GA and GTL

GA says 130 kmh which is 80MPH
Font Parallel Screenshot Handwriting Office supplies

GTL says 180kmh which is 110mph
Light Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Here's a picture of the sticker, I'm sure the bike goes way past 80 mph as my K1600 goes way past 110 but if you have an incident, for sure the insurance company and BMW will find this sticker. Anyway, who wants to ride at a speed that is beyond manufacturers recommendations, I travel at 80+ MPH a large amount of the time, you would struggle to do quick overtakes in country lanes where the speed limit is 60 MPH or dual carriageways which are 70MPH without going over 80. No I want to buy something that I will struggle to exceed manufacturer recommendations during usual daily driving. I've only really gone over 110 for a consistent length of time on a sunny day on an autobahn, in general 30MPH over the limit is the most I will ever do. 85MPH feels comfortable on the GTL you can tour fully loaded two up at that speed all day.

Font Material property Parallel Number Symbol

Reactions: Brutus.

·
Super Moderator
K1600GA
3,220 Posts
Yes. I jumped to a false conclusion with the word "warning". I presumed a warning light.

This topic has been discussed ad nausea. There has been talk of a wobble or instability (that I do not experience). There has been talk of speed limiting.

Perhaps I have my head in the clouds. Perhaps my bike is special, or I am delusional. I love the bike, and I am comfortable at all speeds.

I am waiting until these bikes are old enough that I can buy a least one more for parts. This one, Cylon, will clock a quarter-million miles before I am done.

Reactions: lone-rider

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I suspect, if not underway, it's on the roadmap. It's been too long and too few real leaps forward. Good luck with the wing. My brother-in-law rides an old 1200GT and is going Wing too. Hates his local BMW dealer.
I agree. I’m sure it will be full redesign soon, the current K line is 11 years old now? Hey, if it isn’t broken…keep selling it. Lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did the very same thing. Traded my Grand America for a 21 Wing tour DCT. Really liked the GA and my dealer but wanted a little more highway stability and wanted to try the DCT. I like the DCT more and more each day. Now if the GTL ever comes out with a DCT……!!!
I said the same thing tto my buddy who owns an RT…. If BMW decides to give a dct a try, hummmmmmmm. the DCT is a treat for sure. The dealer out my way is pretty cool, but there is only one BMW service writer and he is a hard person to get in contact with.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts