BMW K1600 Forum banner

So long, Bagger

7K views 62 replies 19 participants last post by  18GrandAm 
#1 ·
Well y’all,
This is a so long for now type of post. I sold my Bagger and picked up a Wing-DCT model.
For me, the Wing rides way better on the highway. That was my only gripe with the Bagger, it was too twitchy on the highway at speed. I tried 3 screens, new tires and a different seat…just couldn’t get it to be as stable as I hoped. I was hoping BMW would do a complete overhaul of the K lineup, I’m certain I’ll get another at some point.
I will miss the engine on the Bagger, for sure!

#3 ·
Well y’all,
This is a so long for now type of post. I sold my Bagger and picked up a Wing-DCT model.
For me, the Wing rides way better on the highway. That was my only gripe with the Bagger, it was too twitchy on the highway at speed. I tried 3 screens, new tires and a different seat…just couldn’t get it to be as stable as I hoped. I was hoping BMW would do a complete overhaul of the K lineup, I’m certain I’ll get another at some point.
Congrats and enjoy !!!

#4 ·
Well y’all,
There is no right or wrong when it comes to the Goldwing or K1600. It took me two Goldwings to get to the K1600, and if I could live long enough it might take me two K1600s to get back to a Goldwing. They have a great forum.

#9 ·
Good luck with the Wing. I almost went that way from my 05'LT and an 08'Wing to an 18'Wing, but preferred the 19'K1600b/GA. Dealer experience is important, especially for those who utilize dealer for service. And overall fit and comfort - Wing definitely more comfortable on highway cruzing.

Enjoy!

#10 ·
Well y’all,
I’ve been hoping that also, but it seems BMW is now too focused on the R18 to think about anything else. I admit that I just don’t understand that bike at all. It seems to answer a question that very few were asking, but I guess we shall see how it sells. It seems to address the Harley market that is rapidly dying off - even Harley seems to have caught on to that reality.

#11 ·
Well y’all,
I did the very same thing. Traded my Grand America for a 21 Wing tour DCT. Really liked the GA and my dealer but wanted a little more highway stability and wanted to try the DCT. I like the DCT more and more each day. Now if the GTL ever comes out with a DCT……!!!

#12 ·
To be honest I blame BMW for you moving on. I looked at the GA some years ago and it comes with a 85MPH speed warning, so i stuck to the GTL.

This week I learnt that the US is no longer stuck on a 55MPH limit as it was when I lived there, in those days 70MPH was considered fast. For me the G America made sense given the 55 limit but not Europe.

But given you'all have European type speed limits nowadays, exactly who is the GA aimed at? Those people who go real slow or those people who like to see the tail of their bike pass them as they speed down the highway.

Personally, I don't want to join either of those clubs and I'd be surprised to find anyone else on a motorbike shouting me, me, me.

Good grief, the GA and now the R18, are BMW stuck inside some sort of time warp? I suspect BMW NA probably have a lot to do with these decisions, probably going to Berlin and telling the Germans how big the US market is for bike style X.

You guys need to tell BMW NA why you're leaving and what you really want and bring some sanity back to the future.

Tell them you need a bike that's grand tourer, smooth, easily cruises at 100+, agile in the corners, highly reliable, and has all latest and best technology options. Focus on that, don't deviate and grow on those strengths.

#13 ·
@TouringTim where did you get that information? I have a 2018 Grand America and it never complains to me about my speed (or anything). ****, I routinely travel at 90+ MPH on it throughout New England. My GA is the best motorcycle I've ridden, and I do ride it hard always. There are misconceptions I think.

Now, my bike does have the Bren tune and is modified for touring comfort. I will ride with any sport or sport touring bike on the road with conviction. There is virtually no difference between the B, the GA, and the GTL forward of the panniers.

#14 ·
@TouringTim where did you get that information? I have a 2018 Grand America and it never complains to me about my speed (or anything). ****, I routinely travel at 90+ MPH on it throughout New England. My GA is the best motorcycle I've ridden, and I do ride it hard always. There are misconceptions I think.

Now, my bike does have the Bren tune and is modified for touring comfort. I will ride with any sport or sport touring bike on the road with conviction. There is virtually no difference between the B, the GA, and the GTL forward of the panniers.
Does the GTL have floorboards?

#15 · (Edited)
When I next go to a dealer, I will take a picture, the speed warning is inside one of the panniers from memory.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the GA, without the speed warning I would change to it like a shot. It has speakers in the rear seat, looks very pretty. Running floorboards, USB charging etc.

#16 ·
When I next go to a dealer, I will take a picture, the speed warning is inside one of the panniers from memory.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the GA, without the speed warning I would change to it like a shot. It has speakers in the rear seat, looks very pretty. Running floorboards etc.
I just downloaded the latest manuals for the GA and GTL

GA says 130 kmh which is 80MPH
Font Parallel Screenshot Handwriting Office supplies

GTL says 180kmh which is 110mph
Light Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

#17 · (Edited)
Here's a picture of the sticker, I'm sure the bike goes way past 80 mph as my K1600 goes way past 110 but if you have an incident, for sure the insurance company and BMW will find this sticker. Anyway, who wants to ride at a speed that is beyond manufacturers recommendations, I travel at 80+ MPH a large amount of the time, you would struggle to do quick overtakes in country lanes where the speed limit is 60 MPH or dual carriageways which are 70MPH without going over 80. No I want to buy something that I will struggle to exceed manufacturer recommendations during usual daily driving. I've only really gone over 110 for a consistent length of time on a sunny day on an autobahn, in general 30MPH over the limit is the most I will ever do. 85MPH feels comfortable on the GTL you can tour fully loaded two up at that speed all day.

Font Material property Parallel Number Symbol

#18 ·
Yes. I jumped to a false conclusion with the word "warning". I presumed a warning light.

This topic has been discussed ad nausea. There has been talk of a wobble or instability (that I do not experience). There has been talk of speed limiting.

Perhaps I have my head in the clouds. Perhaps my bike is special, or I am delusional. I love the bike, and I am comfortable at all speeds.

I am waiting until these bikes are old enough that I can buy a least one more for parts. This one, Cylon, will clock a quarter-million miles before I am done.

Reactions: lone-rider
#22 ·
If it wasn't for that sticker we would have bought one, i remember when the early pictures came out in the press, I thought it was a lovely bike then. I just don't want to be driving at 90 mph with the worry that I'm riding beyond the limits of the bike.

If the bike suddenly does something and i go rolling off down the embankment then i have no recall to complain.

We use the top box for everything, we remove the side cases but the top box has never been taken off.

Maybe I'm being sensitive but with someone else's life in your hands...

Like I say stop building R18s and fix that problem on the GA. The four K bikes seem a nice line up, I don't know why it's playing second fiddle to the R18 in terms of investment. I'm sure it's BMW NA.

#21 ·
I waffled back and forth between the DCT wing and the B, it came down to the fact this isn't my last bike and I am not old enough for a wing yet :D, and I personally think tires have a lot to do with stability. I had zero issues first 6900 miles, new tires and she dances a bit not as much as others have experienced but its there...

#26 ·
Well y’all,
Happy for you. Theres a seat for every bike!

#27 ·
Well y’all,
I too picked up a DCT last week and really enjoy it so far. It is more stable in “dirty air” but not as nimble in the twisties. I do not like the smaller bags or the 5.5 gallon tank of the Goldwing but love the fact that it runs on 87 octane so easier to find gas, is very reliable and parts are more readily available. Still have the GTL but will most likely Go up for sale in pretty short order.

#44 ·
Tell them you need a bike that's grand tourer, smooth, easily cruises at 100+, agile in the corners, highly reliable, and has all latest and best technology options. Focus on that, don't deviate and grow on those strengths.
Exactly....it's called a GTL!
[/QUOTE]
Not sure how you can claim highly reliable with all the fuel pump and transmission issues…..just sayin.

#43 ·
Well y’all,
We won’t know until the ride reviews come in on the ‘22 K Models, but possibly the next generation DSA suspension will improve high speed stability as advertised.
The GW is designed for interstate riding, and the DCT makes long distance riding effortless, almost automotive like. The BMW’s on the other hand are designed for more sporty riding. It’s all personal preference, but the DCT is an awesome ride. Enjoy.

#49 ·
We won’t know until the ride reviews come in on the ‘22 K Models, but possibly the next generation DSA suspension will improve high speed stability as advertised.
The GW is designed for interstate riding, and the DCT makes long distance riding effortless, almost automotive like. The BMW’s on the other hand are designed for more sporty riding. It’s all personal preference, but the DCT is an awesome ride. Enjoy.
Actually my 2021 GW is pretty sporty. Is it as sporty as my Grand America? No. But definitely sportier than the Harley and Indian touring bikes that I’ve had. I don’t think there is any touring bike more maneuverable than the 1600’s. But the GW isn’t too shabby in the twisties.

#47 ·
@JohnS1955 , Honestly? At first, I just shake my head and tell myself to let it go. Next thing you know I'm typing away... :)

Duane

#54 ·
@Voyager77 , I'd like to make a point about the Goldwing if I may. Just to be clear, there's no question the K handles much better during high-speed cornering (twisties), it even inspires faster riding because of the handling characteristics of it. However, the GW is no slouch! It's a very capable and comfortable machine, I know this because I've owned several of them. A well-ridden wing can pretty much keep up with a K except for extreme certain circumstances, one being the top speed. There's no way in **** a wing will ever top a K in that aspect (I tried) but if you're not really into 110+ MPH riding, that's a moot point. The other, as many have already outlined, is in extreme curves where there's a need to lean the bike way over. The K can handle those situations more aggressively than the wing can. That capability, along with the top speed, was my reasoning for going with the K vs the wing. Do I regret it, honestly, sometimes I do. Especially during windy days trudging along the interstate. Those days I really miss my wing. But then I find some backroad to take instead and I forget all about it :love:. I guess what I'm saying is you do you. No shame in owning a wing. They're very capable machines...just different.

#62 ·
@Voyager77 , I'd like to make a point about the Goldwing if I may. Just to be clear, there's no question the K handles much better during high-speed cornering (twisties), it even inspires faster riding because of the handling characteristics of it. However, the GW is no slouch! It's a very capable and comfortable machine, I know this because I've owned several of them. A well-ridden wing can pretty much keep up with a K except for extreme certain circumstances, one being the top speed. There's no way in **** a wing will ever top a K in that aspect (I tried) but if you're not really into 110+ MPH riding, that's a moot point. The other, as many have already outlined, is in extreme curves where there's a need to lean the bike way over. The K can handle those situations more aggressively than the wing can. That capability, along with the top speed, was my reasoning for going with the K vs the wing. Do I regret it, honestly, sometimes I do. Especially during windy days trudging along the interstate. Those days I really miss my wing. But then I find some backroad to take instead and I forget all about it :love:. I guess what I'm saying is you do you. No shame in owning a wing. They're very capable machines...just different.
Some people seem to think that the GW is not a capable bike for Sport Touring, or even for a Track Day. Certainly there are far better bikes for a Track Day than a GW, or even a GTL or B bike, but take a look at the video comparing the K1600B Grand America to the Goldwing Tour DCT, especially at the end where they compared the bikes at Laguna Seca. Sure the GA was faster, but the GW handled the track very well. Personally, for street riding, I believe either bike is fully capable, it just comes down to preference of; features, ergonomics, styling, serviceability, and bang for the buck.
18GrandAm

#55 ·
@jorgebri60 As usual, good input. You identify the primary differences between the K16 and GW, as several others have in various threads:

1) Top speed: The K16 (at least the GT/GTL variants) will blow away a GW. The GW is limited to 110, where the K16 is comfortably pulling away at 130+. Not many test the boundaries of their bikes, but that difference is real.

2) Leaning/Ground Clearance: The GW will scrape where the K16 doesn't. Again, this gets into the territory of testing boundaries, but there is nothing worse than leaning and having a bike knock you up unexpectedly. I suffered this too many times in my Harley days.

@Voyager77 has shown no desire/inclination to take a bike into the zone where the K16 shines. Also, given that he values being able to do all his own maintenance over having top tier performance, the K16 really isn't where he should be focusing. Just my input, but hopefully it helps him avoid making a purchasing mistake.

#57 ·
@jorgebri60 As usual, good input. You identify the primary differences between the K16 and GW, as several others have in various threads:

1) Top speed: The K16 (at least the GT/GTL variants) will blow away a GW. The GW is limited to 110, where the K16 is comfortably pulling away at 130+. Not many test the boundaries of their bikes, but that difference is real.

2) Leaning/Ground Clearance: The GW will scrape where the K16 doesn't. Again, this gets into the territory of testing boundaries, but there is nothing worse than leaning and having a bike knock you up unexpectedly. I suffered this too many times in my Harley days.

@Voyager77 has shown no desire/inclination to take a bike into the zone where the K16 shines. Also, given that he values being able to do all his own maintenance over having top tier performance, the K16 really isn't where he should be focusing. Just my input, but hopefully it helps him avoid making a purchasing mistake.
The K1600s aren’t even close to top tier performance. Most 600 cc sport bikes would leave a K1600 in the dust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.