BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 K1600B Kalamatta
433 Posts
I waffled back and forth between the DCT wing and the B, it came down to the fact this isn't my last bike and I am not old enough for a wing yet :D, and I personally think tires have a lot to do with stability. I had zero issues first 6900 miles, new tires and she dances a bit not as much as others have experienced but its there...

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Yes. I jumped to a false conclusion with the word "warning". I presumed a warning light.

This topic has been discussed ad nausea. There has been talk of a wobble or instability (that I do not experience). There has been talk of speed limiting.

Perhaps I have my head in the clouds. Perhaps my bike is special, or I am delusional. I love the bike, and I am comfortable at all speeds.

I am waiting until these bikes are old enough that I can buy a least one more for parts. This one, Cylon, will clock a quarter-million miles before I am done.
If it wasn't for that sticker we would have bought one, i remember when the early pictures came out in the press, I thought it was a lovely bike then. I just don't want to be driving at 90 mph with the worry that I'm riding beyond the limits of the bike.

If the bike suddenly does something and i go rolling off down the embankment then i have no recall to complain.

We use the top box for everything, we remove the side cases but the top box has never been taken off.

Maybe I'm being sensitive but with someone else's life in your hands...

Like I say stop building R18s and fix that problem on the GA. The four K bikes seem a nice line up, I don't know why it's playing second fiddle to the R18 in terms of investment. I'm sure it's BMW NA.

·
Registered
2021 K1600B Kalamatta
433 Posts
If it wasn't for that sticker we would have bought one, i remember when the early pictures came out in the press, I thought it was a lovely bike then. I just don't want to be driving at 90 mph with the worry that I'm riding beyond the limits of the bike.

If the bike suddenly does something and i go rolling off down the embankment then i have no recall to complain.

We use the top box for everything, we remove the side cases but the top box has never been taken off.

Maybe I'm being sensitive but with someone else's life in your hands...

Like I say stop building R18s and fix that problem on the GA. The four K bikes seem a nice line up, I don't know why it's playing second fiddle to the R18 in terms of investment. I'm sure it's BMW NA.
The GA won't be fixed, its an aerodynamic and liability issue, One of the reasons I ended up on the B its also speed limited but at a much more comfortable top end above any reasonable speed I will ever need...

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
The GA won't be fixed, its an aerodynamic and liability issue, One of the reasons I ended up on the B its also speed limited but at a much more comfortable top end above any reasonable speed I will ever need...
The problem is, I'm a happy member of the two up with armrests club.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2018 K1600 Grand America
101 Posts
Well y’all,
This is a so long for now type of post. I sold my Bagger and picked up a Wing-DCT model.
For me, the Wing rides way better on the highway. That was my only gripe with the Bagger, it was too twitchy on the highway at speed. I tried 3 screens, new tires and a different seat…just couldn’t get it to be as stable as I hoped. I was hoping BMW would do a complete overhaul of the K lineup, I’m certain I’ll get another at some point.
I will miss the engine on the Bagger, for sure!
Happy for you. Theres a seat for every bike!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well y’all,
This is a so long for now type of post. I sold my Bagger and picked up a Wing-DCT model.
For me, the Wing rides way better on the highway. That was my only gripe with the Bagger, it was too twitchy on the highway at speed. I tried 3 screens, new tires and a different seat…just couldn’t get it to be as stable as I hoped. I was hoping BMW would do a complete overhaul of the K lineup, I’m certain I’ll get another at some point.
I will miss the engine on the Bagger, for sure!
I too picked up a DCT last week and really enjoy it so far. It is more stable in “dirty air” but not as nimble in the twisties. I do not like the smaller bags or the 5.5 gallon tank of the Goldwing but love the fact that it runs on 87 octane so easier to find gas, is very reliable and parts are more readily available. Still have the GTL but will most likely Go up for sale in pretty short order.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I too picked up a DCT last week and really enjoy it so far. It is more stable in “dirty air” but not as nimble in the twisties. I do not like the smaller bags or the 5.5 gallon tank of the Goldwing but love the fact that it runs on 87 octane so easier to find gas, is very reliable and parts are more readily available. Still have the GTL but will most likely Go up for sale in pretty short order.
I wonder if Honda sells a service manual for it? Now that BMW has decided not to do that, a new BMW is not in my future given my dealer is 148 miles away. If I can’t do my own repairs, a BMW is just not viable.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Now that BMW has decided not to do that, a new BMW is not in my future given my dealer is 148 miles away. If I can’t do my own repairs, a BMW is just not viable.
I was thinking more on the lines of BMW discontinuing the service DVD to replace with shop manual. I have the DVD, but if BMW released a shop manual I'd be all over it.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I wonder if Honda sells a service manual for it? Now that BMW has decided not to do that, a new BMW is not in my future given my dealer is 148 miles away. If I can’t do my own repairs, a BMW is just not viable.
Our dealer has a pickup/dropoff service that will travel further than that. Years back, it was free, but now there is a fee (occasionally waived when things are slow). You might ask.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Our dealer has a pickup/dropoff service that will travel further than that. Years back, it was free, but now there is a fee (occasionally waived when things are slow). You might ask.
My nearest dealer (Kissell Motorsports) does advertise now a P&D service, but I don’t know how far they go. The other thing is that I am both a rider and a wrenches and I enjoy working on all of my vehicles and I am building an experimental airplane as well. If BMW removes that pleasure, then my incentive to buy BMW compared to other brands is greatly diminished.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I enjoy working on all of my vehicles and I am building an experimental airplane as well. If BMW removes that pleasure, then my incentive to buy BMW compared to other brands is greatly diminished.
I think I missed that. How is BMW taking that ability away?

When my bike was new, it went to the dealer, until the warranty expired. I do all routine maintenance myself now and bought a GS911 to identified fault codes and reset service lights. I suppose, if it had a major malfunction, I'd take/send it back still.

The one downside to the pickup/dropoff service is timing. They run their routes to various areas on a schedule. It can sometimes take a week or two coming or going, if timing is off. Sometime, however, they've said they'd get it the next day. It just depends. Then it's a question of when the bike is done and when the next van is scheduled in our area. Bottom line is a month without the bike was average, even for fairly minor service. I'd do my best to plan that around peak riding season.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think I missed that. How is BMW taking that ability away?

When my bike was new, it went to the dealer, until the warranty expired. I do all routine maintenance myself now and bought a GS911 to identified fault codes and reset service lights. I suppose, if it had a major malfunction, I'd take/send it back still.

The one downside to the pickup/dropoff service is timing. They run their routes to various areas on a schedule. It can sometimes take a week or two coming or going, if timing is off. Sometime, however, they've said they'd get it the next day. It just depends. Then it's a question of when the bike is done and when the next van is scheduled in our area. Bottom line is a month without the bike was average, even for fairly minor service. I'd do my best to plan that around peak riding season.
They apparently will no longer sell the service literature to none dealers.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Got it. I have to believe, where there is a will, there is a way.
Yes, someone likely will find a way to sell pirated copies, but I am not into that and will not buy a bike from a company that has that attitude toward customers that work on their own bikes.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yes, someone likely will find a way to sell pirated copies, but I am not into that and will not buy a bike from a company that has that attitude toward customers that work on their own bikes.
I understand yoUr frustration. But I thought the fundamental reason for owning a high end performance touring bike is a burning passion to ride. And since the Goldwing does not have the high end performance capability of the K16 (the bike is basically in a category of it’s own), you really don’t have many options.

You must love to wrench if you’re willing to give up the experiences a K16 will provide. Unless K16 capabilities really aren’t that important to you.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I understand yoUr frustration. But I thought the fundamental reason for owning a high end performance touring bike is a burning passion to ride. And since the Goldwing does not have the high end performance capability of the K16 (the bike is basically in a category of it’s own), you really don’t have many options.

You must love to wrench if you’re willing to give up the experiences a K16 will provide. Unless K16 capabilities really aren’t that important to you.
Why should I have to give up wrenching to enjoy a K1600?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Why should I have to give up wrenching to enjoy a K1600?
If you live for the following type of road, 2-Up at speed, you’re asking the wrong question. Again, it comes down to the kind of riding that moves you. If eating slab while sitting on a couch excites you, keep the wrench handy.

Sky Ecoregion Road surface Asphalt Natural landscape
Plant Sky Plant community Ecoregion Mountain
Sky Mountain Plant Road surface Asphalt
Sky Ecoregion Road surface Asphalt Land lot

·
Mr.Fix It
8,706 Posts
Hey, a BMW is not for everyone. Let us know when you make a decision. Until then, good-by...

Duane

21 - 40 of 47 Posts