BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard or seen soft saddle bags for a K1600? I thought I saw a set in a website once but I cannot recover the URL.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I donot mean liners, I mean saddle bags. Made out of something you can kick, run into the bushes, stuff stuff in it. The non-scratchable type.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always do the road less traveled type thing for most everything. All my life. Was hoping this thread would help. hmm.
Mosko moto backcountry 35L Pannier kit $730.00 https://moskomoto.com/products/backcountry-35-pannier-kit get MSR red fuel bottle, and lower horizontal bag that holds it.
this would be for everyday use for me. check wt.
I will need a (BMW?) pannier mount, find one that fits my GTL?
Roel Bremmers says (not talking about for the K1600 though): for mounting racks: Touratech racks work best with the Backcountry 35 mounting system. https://touratech-usa.com/store/Touratech-Pannier-Rack-BMW-S1000XR /// ** Item # 606-5555 This rack is not compatible with the BMW factory topcase mount. But looked hopeful, since no high muffler on the side like most, causing rack to expand out on that side quite a bit. perhaps I can adapt it? it is $400 plus tax and shipping but if I can get it to work I'd do it.
ANYone done soft bags? I can see the advantages: lighter weight, no longer have to struggle with getting things in the left bag with side stand down. High quality stuff and won't take expensive damage if I ever go down.
What you all think??

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yea, not sure what problem soft bags would solve unless you smashed the stock panniers and wanted to replace with something a little less expensive. If you go down on a K16, the least of your worries would be pannier damage.
I mean, different strokes for different folks but doing something just to do it never made sense to me. maybe if I had a pile of money I needed to burn through?

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why? Lighter weight without losing storage, different look. Removing all 3 loses 50Lb. Better clearance for legal lane filtering in California, Better mileage too I'd say.
Nothing is damaged, and I have tip over bars protecting the bags, plus the Altrider engine protection bars [part number: K611-0-1000], and I'm NOT interested in off road. :)
I'm not asking any of you to do the same, --- :)
Just wanted to know if anyone else was so inclined. Guess NOT. :p :serious: :frown:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Lose 50#, on a 750# bike isn't something that's earth changing for me. You're right though, if it makes sense for YOU then go for it. Doesn't affect me one bit.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Why?. Better clearance for legal lane filtering in California,

I always support anyone's wish to make their bike their own but unless you are moving the handlebars and mirrors in I dont see how removing the bags would help.

Good luck in your search though

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always support anyone's wish to make their bike their own but unless you are moving the handlebars and mirrors in I don't see how removing the bags would help.

Good luck in your search though
Thank you, and all of you for the feedback. :)

Side load is good for washers and dryers. Not so easy for side bags. :)
I think top load soft bags would not be FAST to load each time, but would be more consistent and could aways get things in that STAY while loading and securing, but not having trouble closing up.
Often loading stock hard BMW bags is frustrating, even with soft inner bags, seems like it often wants to get caught in various places; sides, top, and bottom when trying to close it up, and can't SEE where it's binding. Plus I can load all side soft bags standing up and be more aware of the surroundings. :smile:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use my K1600 for everyday use, shopping, getting parts and delivery. It's my main transportation. I mostly ride locally, so am often opening emptying, and filling the storage. I don't care if it looks cool or not; functional is most important to me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I say get the soft bags, strip off all the plastic, run some crash bars and knobby tires and have a ball!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts