BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In solar or galactic terms, this is real last second. I've had this in the back of my mind for a year. I'm a geek for anything scientific, planetary, geological, etc. So I know I'll kick myself if I don't find a way to see it. I'll be heading to Oregon...Madras is my current target. Looking for lodging. Turns out there are a ton of geeks with better planning than me.:surprise:

Anybody else making this pilgrimage?

As it turns out, this is also my Pop's first birthday since his passing. So this is a must.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
The IBA will be issuing a special certificate for any qualifying ride passing through totality.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Coming right over the Cashiers/Sapphire NC area so we're staying put and have our sun filter glasses purchased!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I had no idea this was coming... interesting.

Sorry to hear of your pop RC.

Reactions: RedCard

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
Map showing the path of the total solar eclipse across America. Click on the upper left map of the United States or find the state map near you that will be close to the total eclipse.

It looks like I will have to travel to see it in it's totality. Brother Steve lives right on the path in Kansas City. This is my daughters birthday too.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-maps

Reactions: srt8-in-largo

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I live less than 1/2 mile south of the point at which the "event " will first hit US soil. Population here in non tourist season is 1200-1300. From mid May through end of September is 4000-5000, because of visitors. For the eclipse, our one stoplight town is going to have a population of between 50,000 & 75,000. Between Lincoln City 15 miles north, and Newport, 15 miles south, the emergency management people are saying we will have 250,000-500,000 folks here, and 1-2 million state wide. Am going to gas up, grocery up, and ammo up a week in advance, and not go anywhere until they all go home.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I will have just short of 2 minutes of total darkness right where I live. Already told work I would be off that day. Got my sun filters in hand too. Anyone wants come over from StL area come on. ?

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
I will have just short of 2 minutes of total darkness right where I live. Already told work I would be off that day. Got my sun filters in hand too. Anyone wants come over from StL area come on. ?
So we're all invited for a BBQ, Beers and sun worshipping? Cool :grin:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I too am making the pilgrimage if I get my transmission replaced fast enough. Found out yesterday it is toast after 58,000 miles.
My wife booked both camping for part of the way and a motel near the epicenter. She is the geek with better planning you had mentioned .

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I too am making the pilgrimage if I get my transmission replaced fast enough. Found out yesterday it is toast after 58,000 miles.
My wife booked both camping for part of the way and a motel near the epicenter. She is the geek with better planning you had mentioned .
WHAAAA? Please elaborate on the tranny... what happened??

Welcome to the forum btw.

·
Registered
105 Posts
RedCard:

Good luck finding lodging...I live in NW Oregon and my wife and I are planning on making a day trip down to the Salem area to be in the path of totality.

The OR Dept of Justice is hammering quite a few motels/hotels that have cancelled folks reservations (made some time ago) and re-booking last-minute bookers at astronomical (pun intended) rates.

OR DOT is forecasting record numbers of folks on the highways (> 400,000) trying to get to the totality zone. Be careful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Elaborate please Stephen...
I don't think the details have been published yet, but essentially you ride any IBA ride (SS1k, BB, BBG, etc) and include in your receipts one that proves you were in the path of totality DURING totality. The only place I recall seeing it discussed so far has been on the Iron Butt Association FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IBARiders

Edit: The official announcement is supposed to be coming out this weekend, according to Lord Kneebone.

Reactions: srt8-in-largo

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
RedCard:

Good luck finding lodging...I live in NW Oregon and my wife and I are planning on making a day trip down to the Salem area to be in the path of totality.

The OR Dept of Justice is hammering quite a few motels/hotels that have cancelled folks reservations (made some time ago) and re-booking last-minute bookers at astronomical (pun intended) rates.

OR DOT is forecasting record numbers of folks on the highways (> 400,000) trying to get to the totality zone. Be careful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It would be fitting for the motel price gougers if the forecast was for cloudy skies and a lot of the people cancel their reservations.

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
My brother in-law has a home in Summerton SC, almost directly under the path... Thinking of a nice short (for some) from FLATlorida ride up to watch.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a last minute reservation in Bend, OR, at Bunk and Brew Historic Lucas House. I booked it via the SWA site, so I'm not sure if I was gouged. But it weren't cheap. I had that expectation though. There are extra beds if anybody wants to partake. I think the room is setup like a hostile.

I'll be getting up real early to make the hour long ride into Madras, give myself time to get around large iron obstacles on the road. Or maybe I'll figure out another viewing locale before then.

I'm making this a 4 to 5 day ride so I'm still figuring out the other overnights. This is also an excuse to explore the mountain and coastal roads in Northern Cal.

TR, you're going right by me to get there. It might make sense to hook up for part of the route...or not. Up to you.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure come on over and bring your women. BBQ , beer ,get naked worship the sun and moon and other hedonistic things. ?
Shhhhh. Don't tell my wife.....Isn't that why they planned this thing to go through Oregon?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Thank you kind sir!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts