BMW K1600 Forum banner

South Dakota to Austin and Back

749 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Booger Man 
#1 ·
My son invited me to take a knife forging class in Austin, TX where he & his wife lives. His wife was signed up but she decided not to take the class, as they are expecting a new baby. Turns out it was a great choice for her not to take the class but that is another discussion. My wife was not able to go, and that opened the opportunity to take the GTL instead of a 4 wheeled vehicle.

I took off last Wednesday afternoon from Huron, SD and got as far as York, NE. 247 miles
Second day, from York to Denton, TX, 554 miles
Third day, Denton to our son & daughter-in-law's place at Austin, 222 miles. Total distance was 1,023 miles.

I hung out with my son & his wife, played board games, went out to eat and took a 2 day knife forging class using coal fired forges in 100 degree heat. It was fantastic other than being hot with coal smoke. I stayed one day after the class & we took it easy and hung out together.

Wednesday, from Guthrie, Oklahoma to home 635 miles. Total mileage home was 1,047. Total round trip was 2,070 miles.

I didn't take a lot of pictures, but I rode on the Flint Hills Scenic Byway in Kansas on the way home, and stopped for pictures there. The bottom picture actually had a straight road, but the panoramic effect made an interesting effect on the look of the road.

It was a pretty straight shot there and back but on the way home the phone took me west to Highway 183 instead of I-35 and it had very little traffic, and the rolling hills were a nice change of scenery. It was as hot as 107 the first day. The second day I started out in the morning in the 70's with light rain, but it later got to about 102 in Nebraska. All in all it was a great time with my son and daughter-in-law, I learned how to forge a knife, and I got to take a nice long ride.

Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle
Water Sky Tire Cloud Wheel

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.