BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could you show us the wireing on the back side with the additonal tweeter?
No, sorry havenˋt take a picture, But it is really easy, the midrange woofer has two connection points for each plus and minus port. So the stock cable lugs go to one pair and the cable crossover is connected with cable lugs to the other pair. Thatˋs it. As mentioned, I shortend the cable from the crossover to the speakers, so I had to soldering the cable Crossover / Tweeter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I’m basically a newbie here, but not a new rider. so I decided I wanted to do something different after reading all of your posts and everything I could find about speakers and upgrades on my 2019 K1600 GA. I have seen so many different ideas from $1000 6 1/2 inch speaker boxes from Russia to upgrading the four-inch stock speaker boxes for $50.. Having a 37 year aircraft mechanic background, I decided I wanted to do something different. Let me know what you think, It is still a work in progress. I am on vacation and I’m taking my time.
I removed the OEM speaker box and set it aside I then used a plastic sheet because it’s rigid and easier to shape and cut to make my template. So then after a trip to Home Depot, I bought a 24“ x 12“ flat sheet metal piece to transfer over my pattern. After extensive research, I came up with the kicker 5.125 coaxial set because of its range from 45 to 2200 Hz 50 watts rms, sensitivity and materials for marine quality. I decided to go with a small alpine 4 channel amplifier In which I will start working on tomorrow. So very soon i’m planning on upgrading the rear speakers as well, my goal was to improve the sound but keep the factory original appearance, and the best part is, that I can go back to factory original in just a few minutes by reinstalling the stock boxes.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Sleeve Finger

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Watch Automotive design

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering part Hood Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Tread

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@MikeC66 interesting approach, I like it. I did just the 4” replacements only so far. It’s an improvement but it’ll never be the sound system i have in my Harley.
I didn’t do the amp yet because I didn’t want to blow the rear stock speakers. I’ve not yet dug in to find out what’s there. Please share what you find when you dig in on those.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I was concerned with water and moisture. I also was interested in improving the sound with these sound baffles. The 5 1/4 Kickers 50 watts rms will be running from the Alpine Amp KTL-450. 50 watts X 4. Tomorrow I will begin the amp puzzle to see where I should install it. I will finally go for the rear silly speaker setup last. One woofer and two tweeters? what a joke. I can fix it too (I hope). So far I am on hold for a sound test. I will return for updates. I am very happy with the speaker upgrade so far.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Bumper
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Product
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Automotive tire Product Camera lens Motor vehicle Crankset

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll just never understand why anyone out enjoying a ride on their motorcycle would think that everyone around them would enjoy listening to their music. Even out on a country road you have to be playing it loud enough that every farm house you pass is going to hear it. You get way better music quality with a good set of ear buds. If you wear a turtle shell helmet your ears are probably so damaged by now that you'd have to blast those speakers at full volume to hear them.

Yeah, I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet so just ignore. I'm in a curmudgeonly mood.

Come on bro, some Led Zepplin while cruzin down a back county road.😁😁

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I finally finished up the install on my 2019 BMW K1600 Grabd América. So I wanted the bike to look completely factory original and stock. That was my first goal. My second goal was to achieve high volume quality sound with as much base as I could get away with on a motorcycle which is what I really wanted
Without spending $2000 on speaker enclosures only from Russia.
I wanted to see if I could come up with an alternative. I came up with the idea from reading all of your posts here. Thank you so much for sharing your research I want to do the same to help others.
so, I can’t believe how loud and clear it is I have strong mid base it’s not deep but it is a very strong midbass it sounds extremely good I had to go to the dealer for a recall and the guy was driving the bike around for a test ride, he asked me if I upgraded the stereo because he said “there’s no way that stereo was stock”. 4 other Techs came over and they were listening to it and they wanted to know what I did. So the BMW techs were impressed. That sounds good enough for me. They were commenting on how impressive it was that it was so clear and the base. Now out riding on the highway, you can still hear the sound, it’s about four times louder than it was and it’s really clear, the highs are clear, the midbass is clear, the mid range is super clear and no more irritating throbbing from the aft top case where that stupid little silly 5 watt 2 ohm subwoofer lived.
So I believe I spent approximately $400 on the complete upgrade, the speakers are water resistant ( kickers) and all the connections were done with heat shrink tubing (to prevent moisture) I even did a special mod so I can take the top case off and used quick disconnects fir the rear speakers. The one thing that was such a pain in the ass for this grand America was the rear speakers! you have to use the front channels as input for the rear channels on your amp and then adjust it with the gain on your 4 ch amp to balance it. So you cannot fade front to rear like before, there was absolutely no way around it. If you’re interested, I’ll take a video of the sound but I’m sure on the phone you will not be able to appreciate it. I could’ve bought much more expensive speakers but those kicker speakers were a really good choice from the research I did as in comparison. They are cheap speakers but they put out a lot of mid base. They are water resistant. Did I mention that they put out a lot of bass for their size? 5 1/4 inch in the front 4 inch in the rear. And they’re cheap enough if I ever blow the speakers it’s really going to be easy to just pop them out and replace them with the same size within an hour you could replace all four of the way I put it back together. Don’t waste your time if you have a grand America trying to tap into the rear inputs to the aft subwoofer amp. It only has three wires and a shielded cable running to plug-in and power the amp which is crossing over the signal internally and the speaker wires coming out of it or split into three sets, two sets of highs and one sub signal. So after talking to Alpine electronics they informed me what to do and it worked.
I spent a lot of time stressing out over trying to tap into the input for the app speakers you had a choice of three wires or six wires for input don’t waste your time. Long post but I hope it helps because I couldn’t find enough information on the grand America and I’m hoping that the next guy will be able to use my research to help.
feel free to contact me I’m happy to help you with anything you have I’ve kept my notes.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts